Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-10-2014, 19:20   #1

Boat: Savage Oceanic 42
Manson Boss Anchor Trouble

I'm wondering if anyone else out there has had any issues with the Manson boss anchor dragging. We have a Lotus 9.2 weighing around 4500kg loaded. We changed from our old plough about a year ago to the 25lb boss and retained the 8mm chain. We are cruising the Queensland coast and it has dragged now on 4 occasions in 6 months. We have been lucky to avoid any mishaps so far. We use around 5-7:1 scope and ensure it is well set. On each occasion it has not been under any real strain (tide/wind) and has been set for a few days in good sand or thick mud. I'm at a loss here but if I cant find a reason for it I'll have to ditch it for something else. Any ideas?
Graham andClare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2014, 19:29   #2

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'
re: Manson Boss Anchor Trouble

I've had great service with a Rocna!!!!!
LakeSuperior is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2014, 19:33   #3

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

I believe the rule of thumb is to use an anchor two steps above what the manufacturer recommends. So, being that your boat is a little over 30' LOA you may want to upgrade to a 45 pound Boss over the 25 pound you have. To put this into perspective, we have an 8 pound anchor on our 10 foot dinghy weighing about 87 pounds. Of course, we don't use chain.

Is the area you are in heavily tidal? Did you account for current direction changes? Is your scope set at the extreme high tide? Are you backing down on the anchor when setting? Are you dropping the chain on top of the anchor?
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2014, 19:35   #4
cruiser

Hopefully your thread won't become a "buy my anchor instead" or trash the Boss exercise.

I've never used a Boss anchor, but looking at the design, is it possible that the long slot along the shank is what's giving you problems? Is it possible that during a wind or tidal shift, the anchor shackle is moving along the shank to the plow end and pulling out your anchor backwards, then failing to reset?

Just a thought.

Ken
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2014, 19:45   #5

Boat: 1969 Pearson 35 #108 & 1976 Sabre 28
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Your anchor is adequate for your size boat. Might go up to a 35# anchor if I wanted piece of mind but a 45 would be crazy heavy for your boats displacement. Used a 45# CQR on our 20,000# boat and it stuck every time including 50k winds. There has to be something wrong if it's dragging that often. If it's not after a change of direction of pull and the slot issue could the anchor shank be bent so the anchor isn't setting properly if it lands on the wrong side.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2014, 19:58   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Steel Roberts Offshore 44

I use a Manson Supreme (from memory 20kg) and have had no problems whatsoever.

The only points that I can see are that the Boss looks to have been designed for powerboats and that you use 5 - 7x as the amount of chain.

While I use more from time to time I've found the Supreme sets well at 3:1 using 8mm (or similar) on a 15 tonne steel yacht. I've not experienced any problems with current reversals.

The Supreme has a roll bar while the Boss does not. I can see that this may make a difference.

I don't know what your technique is. Mine is to drop the anchor upcurrent or upwind of where I want to be and then to let the anchor dig itself in. I could imagine a lighter anchor than mine without a roll bar not resetting properly when the current reversed, particularly in hard mud or sand.

Power boats in general seem to love small anchors. If I were in your place I'd most likely buy a Supreme one (or maybe even two) sizes up and sell the Boss to a powerboater.

I'd imagine a plough of about 25lb would be similar to your Boss, particularly if additional weight has not been added to the point.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2014, 20:24   #7

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
Your anchor is adequate for your size boat. Might go up to a 35# anchor if I wanted piece of mind but a 45 would be crazy heavy for your boats displacement. Used a 45# CQR on our 20,000# boat and it stuck every time including 50k winds. There has to be something wrong if it's dragging that often. If it's not after a change of direction of pull and the slot issue could the anchor shank be bent so the anchor isn't setting properly if it lands on the wrong side.
Oh... you are right about this... the chart here overlaps the 30 foot range... so the 15 pound has a max of 30 feet, which I suppose means 30 feet light displacement. If you then round up, you are only going up one size past the 25# to a 35#.

The manufacturer does say err to the size larger.

on the other hand... look at the size of the 60 pound anchor!
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2014, 20:37   #8

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

I've got a Manson plough (not a new gen anchor, I know) of supposedly adequate size on my boat and it drags like a be-arch. Last trip out whilst watching the league grand final anchored at beach 25 (adjacent to Hamilton Island) we dragged about 200 m in 15 knots of breeze over a couple of hours. This is the most we've ever dragged fortunately it was more or less parallel to the shore so no harm done. Slap on the wrist to myself as I only had around the recommended 4x all chain rode scope out. Re-anchoring with all the chain out (~10x scope) solved that particular problem for the rest of the evening. However, as a consequence, I'm now saving pennies for a new hi-tech anchor. I do think that a conflicting combination of currents and wind that swing a boat can cause the anchor to break out especially with all chain rode of which my experience has been that it be far more of a problem with dragging and setting than an equivalent chain / rope combination. I do confess that I don't deploy my snubber near enough (as in basically never) so perhaps this would help prevent problems too, even in "light" breeze.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2014, 20:38   #9

60lb Boss is very large
Old 20-10-2014, 21:22   #10

Boat: Savage Oceanic 42
Question re: Manson Boss Anchor Trouble

Thanks for replies. I should mention that we originally purchased a 15lb boss from a marine dealership on their reccomendation. On getting it home I checked on the Manson site as to wether we had the correct size. Seeing that we were at the upper limit for our size I emailed Manson for advice. I described our boat, which is a well known boat in NZ, and they recommended we upsize to the 25lb which we did. Initially I thought it may be the chain sliding up the shank as we turned on tide and wrenching the anchor out backwards. I fixed the locking screw to hold the chain at the end of the shank. No difference. I believe our anchoring technique is appropriate. We motor toward the wind or current whichever is most prevalent, drop the pick, and lay out the scope as we drift back, calculating the scope according to the highest tide we expect and then reverse hard onto it. This is the same as we have done with our old plough which worked great but was in dire need of replacement. The bos pulls in hard and appears to hold well but can break free after a couple of days. The shank is not bent. I did install a swivel at the end of the chain immediately before shackling it to the anchor, wonder if that could be the issue.
Graham andClare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2014, 21:36   #11

Is it dragging or not resetting?

If the problem is after a few days your problem could be the anchor doesn't reset with a change of wind or tide.
olaf hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2014, 21:37   #12

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
I've got a Manson plough (not a new gen anchor, I know) of supposedly adequate size on my boat and it drags like a be-arch. Last trip out whilst watching the league grand final anchored at beach 25 (adjacent to Hamilton Island) we dragged about 200 m in 15 knots of breeze over a couple of hours. This is the most we've ever dragged fortunately it was more or less parallel to the shore so no harm done. Slap on the wrist to myself as I only had around the recommended 4x all chain rode scope out. Re-anchoring with all the chain out (~10x scope) solved that particular problem for the rest of the evening. However, as a consequence, I'm now saving pennies for a new hi-tech anchor. I do think that a conflicting combination of currents and wind that swing a boat can cause the anchor to break out especially with all chain rode of which my experience has been that it be far more of a problem with dragging and setting than an equivalent chain / rope combination. I do confess that I don't deploy my snubber near enough (as in basically never) so perhaps this would help prevent problems too, even in "light" breeze.
Have a good look at the SARCA Excel before you commit to a roll bar type.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2014, 21:40   #13

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham andClare View Post
Thanks for replies. I should mention that we originally purchased a 15lb boss from a marine dealership on their reccomendation. On getting it home I checked on the Manson site as to wether we had the correct size. Seeing that we were at the upper limit for our size I emailed Manson for advice. I described our boat, which is a well known boat in NZ, and they recommended we upsize to the 25lb which we did. Initially I thought it may be the chain sliding up the shank as we turned on tide and wrenching the anchor out backwards. I fixed the locking screw to hold the chain at the end of the shank. No difference. I believe our anchoring technique is appropriate. We motor toward the wind or current whichever is most prevalent, drop the pick, and lay out the scope as we drift back, calculating the scope according to the highest tide we expect and then reverse hard onto it. This is the same as we have done with our old plough which worked great but was in dire need of replacement. The bos pulls in hard and appears to hold well but can break free after a couple of days. The shank is not bent. I did install a swivel at the end of the chain immediately before shackling it to the anchor, wonder if that could be the issue.
Have you seen what it is actually doing by diving on it. Might help to diagnose the issue.

This is a good thread on photos of anchors at work but Manson Boss hasn't come up yet.

Photos of Anchors Setting. - Page 73 - Cruisers & Sailing Forums
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2014, 08:38   #14

Boat: Niagara 35
Re: Manson Boss Anchor Trouble

This is very surprising! We have a 45# Boss on our 35' boat. It has been fantastic so far. The only real problem we have is getting it out of the mud when it's time to go. I wouldn't say that it has had a real test yet other than full reverse setting, though.

Whatever you do, don't get a 45# Boss. The thing is a monster! You can't begin to comprehend the surface area on this thing until you see it. It would be too big for your boat. A 35# would be the max, I think.

I'm pretty confused about what could be happening. It seems very rare that any anchor that has been set well and worked for days would suddenly release. What is the event that caused the release in each case? Was it a wind shift? Increase in wind?

How many of the dragging events were before you locked the slot (I wouldn't use the slot in any circumstance other than a short stop on known foul ground)?
cwyckham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2014, 08:43   #15

Boat: Niagara 35
Re: Manson Boss Anchor Trouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boracay View Post
I'd imagine a plough of about 25lb would be similar to your Boss, particularly if additional weight has not been added to the point.
Here's a 45# Boss next to a 35# CQR. The thing is a giant.
Attached Images

cwyckham is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor