Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-12-2012, 19:16   #1

Boat: Westsail 32 and Herreshoff 28
Manson Boss

Talk around here regarding the Manson Boss anchor has been quiet.
The leading Manson Boss thread has been closed.
There are no vidos that I can find on the web illustrating its setting abilities as we have with the Supreme.
Has anyone been in the water watching this anchor set?
Any videos?
Any problems with this anchor dragging on its back due to the lack of a rollbar?
endoftheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 02:52   #2

Re: Manson Boss

I had one and sold it. Thing was HUGE for it's weight and I could never get it to sit properly and clear my bobstay. My manson supreme is still a little tight and I need to finesse it, but nothing like the ungodly boss. The person we sold it to also couldn't make it fit. I learned it's not "get the biggest anchor you can", it's "get the biggest anchor you can efficiently deploy and retrieve" otherwise everyone would just have 500lb navy hooks up front.

Regarding holding it held just fine but the conditions it saw were fairly benign. The supreme, pound for pound, is a better anchor in my mind.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:32   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
I had one and sold it. Thing was HUGE for it's weight and I could never get it to sit properly and clear my bobstay. My manson supreme is still a little tight and I need to finesse it, but nothing like the ungodly boss. The person we sold it to also couldn't make it fit. I learned it's not "get the biggest anchor you can", it's "get the biggest anchor you can efficiently deploy and retrieve" otherwise everyone would just have 500lb navy hooks up front.

Regarding holding it held just fine but the conditions it saw were fairly benign. The supreme, pound for pound, is a better anchor in my mind.
Thanks,
I'm leading to the same conclusions through research only as I have never owned either. I'm really interested in the Supreme but have the bowsprit/rollbar issue. No doubt that the Supreme rocks!
Old 01-01-2013, 06:27   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by endoftheroad View Post
but have the bowsprit/rollbar issue.
SARCA Excel is the answer
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 04:00   #5

Boat: Palmer-Johnson 30, EXEAT

We used a Boss all summer cruising Lakes Huron and Michigan. Love it. Sets more reliably than our old Delta. Fits just fine on our bow. Easy to retrieve even after its dug in deep. One caution: the surface area to mass ratio of this anchor is much higher than something like a Delta; more like with a Danforth. This means that in big waves the thing moves around a lot more. In a storm on Lake Michigan with the waves crashing over the bow the water pressure on the anchor was such that my lashing got sawed through, the thing got loose, crashed around up there for a bit a did a little damage. My bad, not a fault of the anchor, so secure it really well.
OwenMcCall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2013, 05:30   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 42CE

Very quiet indeed. So I setup a Google Alert on these anchors and this AM came across this press release:
New Zealand. In seabed test, Manson Boss Anchor sets faster with more holding power

"35lb Boss holds 4200kg, bends 5/8” shackles Manson Anchors recently completed seabed testing on its Boss anchor, producing results that even surprised the company’s testing team.
A 35lb Boss 2 held 4200kg (9260lbs) - and bent 5/8” shackles in the process.
Testing began with 40ft of 5/16 chain and 3/8 shackles and a scope of 5:1 using a 90 ton tug boat. “We pulled up to 2000kg (4500lb) but bent all the shackles. We returned to the dock, went to a chandlery and bought 5/8 shackles and 60ft of half inch chain. Back out testing on the tug again, and pulling on the 35lb Manson Boss. This time testing had to stop at 4200kg (9250lb) because the 5/8 shackles were all bending,” said Ned Wood, Manson Vice President of Sales and Marketing.
The Manson Boss weighs no more than other anchors, but it’s much bigger and the increased fluke size generates significantly more holding power. In the photo at right, Wood, who is six feet tall, is holding a 60lb Boss anchor.
As with all Manson anchors, the Boss is manufactured at Manson’s purpose built facility in Henderson, New Zealand by Lloyd’s Register approved welders and using approved mill steel. It also features a Shackle Preventor, which quickly changes the anchor from a fixed shank anchor into a sliding shank for safe and easy anchoring in rocks and coral. A high tensile steel shank is specially-designed to fit into tricky through rollers on launches.
Last Updated ( Thursday, 14 March 2013 )"
V42 #186 s/v Little Wing
arisatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2013, 05:39   #7

Now thats what I call an anchor!
Old 15-03-2013, 05:52   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Wonder what the 'sea bed' consisted of? Sand, mud, grass, rock or??? And bending shackles? What metal were they made of, as one would assume shackles not to be the weak link.
Old 15-03-2013, 05:57   #9

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Sounds like Manson needs to buy some better shackles. Crosby high test 3/8 shackles, which should fit 5/16 chain, have a WLL around 4400 lbs. so I wouldn't expect them to deform at 4500 lbs. In the Defender catalog a Boss is about $100 more than a Supreme. Why?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Boss.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	420.6 KB
ID:	57076  
Old 17-03-2013, 14:53   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 42CE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
..Crosby high test 3/8 shackles, which should fit 5/16 chain, have a WLL around 4400 lbs. so I wouldn't expect them to deform at 4500 lbs. ...
+1

Here is same story, different place, with pics:

Sail World Australia

Look at the size of that 60lb anchor!

V42 #186 s/v Little Wing
arisatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2013, 17:57   #11

Yeah....Where are his steel toed boots?
Old 17-03-2013, 18:24   #12

Boat: Niagara 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
SARCA Excel is the answer
It's only the answer if you live in Australia (and maybe New Zealand), unfortunately.
cwyckham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2013, 18:27   #13

Sixty Pound version:

Held like a champ in a 50mph burst off of Dauphine Island. Boat was in 5-8ft chop for approx 2 hours. I didn't think we'd ever break it free.
Old 17-03-2013, 18:29   #14

Boat: Niagara 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post

I don't understand your conclusion at all. The supreme might be better for your particular boat due to fit, I guess. The Boss does have huge surface area for its weight. That will increase holding, at least in some bottoms.

I had to go with the Boss because the Supreme wouldn't fit my bowsprit. So for me, the Boss is a far better anchor than the Supreme. I got the 45 and it is huge. It also fits nicely as long as I protect my bobstay with some hose.

So far, I really like the Boss, though I haven't tested it extensively. I've also been surprised at the lack of testing. I'm glad Manson's now done some, but I can hardly wait to start seeing some independent comparisons. Maybe Mainesail will buy one...
cwyckham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2013, 19:01   #15

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

It is probably a very good anchor! But bending a 5/8" shackle??? I can almost guarantee it was not a red pin Crosby!!! I have whacked those things with a 10# sledge hammer when trying to force it open to clear a hunk of old chain.
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote