Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-03-2013, 19:04   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Re: Manson Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwyckham View Post
It's only the answer if you live in Australia (and maybe New Zealand), unfortunately.
Or anywhere else that Sarca can ship to.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2013, 22:16   #17

Boat: Niagara 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Or anywhere else that Sarca can ship to.
I phoned Australia and asked. The shipping to Canada was more than the cost of the anchor. Spades are also great, but insanely expensive in North America.
cwyckham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2013, 23:53   #18
cruiser

cwyckham
I phoned Australia and asked. The shipping to Canada was more than the cost of the anchor. Spades are also great, but insanely expensive in North America.

Not quite sure where you got that from, as we do not have a distributor in your part of the world we sell direct at whole sale price, marginally off sets the frieght, we have approx half a dozen heading your way at the monent and the total cost works out to normal retail if we were sending them form one end of Australia to the other.

Regards Rex.
congo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2013, 00:28   #19

Its pretty funny that someone asks about a Boss and the thread becomes about other anchors.
Old 18-03-2013, 00:33   #20
cruiser

Target9000
Its pretty funny that someone asks about a Boss and the thread becomes about other anchors.

Im with you, yea it is funny, not unlike the many other designs mentioned on the closed excel thread.

Regards Rex.
Old 18-03-2013, 04:12   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 42CE

cwyckham:

You can also try "ship to store" free with West Marine, and special ordered a Manson Ray that way.
V42 #186 s/v Little Wing
arisatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2013, 07:59   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by congo View Post
cwyckham

Not quite sure where you got that from, as we do not have a distributor in your part of the world we sell direct at whole sale price, marginally off sets the frieght, we have approx half a dozen heading your way at the monent and the total cost works out to normal retail if we were sending them form one end of Australia to the other.

Regards Rex.
I got that from an email directly from you about a year ago. You offered wholesale but said shipping would double that. That would make it a $1000 anchor for a number 5. I hope that's more than retail!

Great if you can bundle shipments, but no bundle was available last spring
Old 18-03-2013, 08:15   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by arisatx View Post
cwyckham:

You can also try "ship to store" free with West Marine, and special ordered a Manson Ray that way.
West doesn't carry the sarca, so you can't do it with that anchor. Can't even do it with the boss in Canada. They charge expensive shipping, even of the part you want is in a warehouse in Bellingham. And they have no Canadian warehouses.
Old 18-03-2013, 18:35   #24
cruiser

cwyckham

I got that from an email directly from you about a year ago. You offered wholesale but said shipping would double that. That would make it a $1000 anchor for a number 5. I hope that's more than retail!

Yes you are right,I thought your comment was on the current situation, a lot of water has passed under the bridge since you contacted us.The wholesaler that we had discussions with fell fowl to tough economic times, Iwas basically holding of for them to get their act together. never the less demand from your part of the world could not be ignored so I have been passing on their margin-- reducing the cost to wholsale to ofset the freight.

We have actually been sending to Scotland and France.
Regards
Rex
Old 18-03-2013, 23:27   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by congo View Post
cwyckham

Yes you are right,I thought your comment was on the current situation, a lot of water has passed under the bridge since you contacted us.The wholesaler that we had discussions with fell fowl to tough economic times, Iwas basically holding of for them to get their act together. never the less demand from your part of the world could not be ignored so I have been passing on their margin-- reducing the cost to wholsale to ofset the freight.

We have actually been sending to Scotland and France.
Regards
Rex
That's great to hear. There's a heck of a market over here once you get your distribution set up. Of course, then you have to increase your production rate to match without letting quality slide. A certain anchor manufacture in your general part of the world screwed that part up...

I wish I could have gone with the Excel, but the Boss is good too. Neither have had much in the way of independent testing done yet, so maybe I won't know which is the better anchor for a while. The reality, though, is that there are a bunch of really good anchors out there right now in the new generation, and they each have their strengths and weaknesses for purpose or for boat configuration. This is a great situation for boaters. The only problem now is that some are not well distributed around the world, so choice becomes limited to one or two of them, depending on where you live.
cwyckham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 04:23   #26

Boat: Kelsall Suncat 40

Any more experiences and feedback with the Manson Boss?

Jimbo485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 06:45   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

Been using a 60lb Manson Boss over the last 15months. No real problems (except dropping it into an old lobster pot which led to lots of drama).

Most challenging conditions were anchored with sustained winds of 40 to 50 kts over a 48 hr period. Bottom was sand and shell. All chain scope, 7:1 with 10mm chain.

All in all I'm well pleased with the anchor.
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 23:11   #28

We finally found a bottom it doesn't like: fist sized rocks. Other than that, it sets immediately, first time, every time

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 28-02-2015, 22:40   #29

FYI Defender has the 25# Manson Supreme Stainless Steel matte finish "Special Buy" for $465 regularly $2589. Not sure if I would like the matte finish but $468 for a stainless steel 25# anchor is a smoking deal none the less.
ntscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 18:55   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntscout View Post
FYI Defender has the 25# Manson Supreme Stainless Steel matte finish "Special Buy" for $465 regularly $2589. Not sure if I would like the matte finish but $468 for a stainless steel 25# anchor is a smoking deal none the less.
Is that pounds or kilo? Who would pay $2500 for a 25 pound anchor?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app