Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-09-2012, 23:16   #31

Boat: Gib sea 43
Re: Loud music... anchoring too close!

well the predicted strong north easterlies failed to materialize, so the bottle o whisky did help relieve my issues, that and every fender i had dropped on the starboard side and transom.

If the pen is mightier than the sword, then my keyboard must be a nuclear missile!
stevensuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2012, 00:38   #32
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
Even simpler
HAND-HELD-AIR-HORN-PUMP-ACTION-NO-GAS-REQUIRED-VERY-LOUD
Fog is a bit of a rarity around these parts

It's a good thing it's a rarity if you have to assign a crewmember to endlessly operate the manual air horn. What if you are solo?
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2012, 02:08   #33

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
It's a good thing it's a rarity if you have to assign a crewmember to endlessly operate the manual air horn. What if you are solo?
I wouldnt be so foolish as to move around in fog.
Why would I need to?
Old 28-09-2012, 03:21   #34

if you're 450 miles into a 500 mile journey and it gets foggy are you going to turn back?

If the pen is mightier than the sword, then my keyboard must be a nuclear missile!
Old 28-09-2012, 04:41   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensuf View Post
if you're 450 miles into a 500 mile journey and it gets foggy are you going to turn back?
Can you show me a case of it ever happenning in the middle of the coral sea?
Will there even be anyone else out there appart from me?

We get it near the coast, has been a bit around lately like in this article http://www.weatherzone.com.au/news/f...ld-coast/22310 but like I said, if I was anchored, I wouldnt be foolish enough to up anchor to move around in it, especially in an area with shipping.
Old 28-09-2012, 07:33   #36
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

To each their own. To me, a loud hailer with fog signals is basic safety equipment and a no-brainer at the price. Too many different uses, and it's just basic safety at sea to be able to safely make audible fog signals. Around here it's not even legal to have a boat without some sort of fog signal capability. There are laws concerning which devices are appropriate for various sized boats as well.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2012, 07:53   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensuf View Post
So I come around the corner to avoid yet another blast of wind, everyone has anchored sensibly for a north easterly, all good,but at 9 pm along comes a charter boat , drops the hook right next to me, puts out **** all chain, i have out loads, i know when the wind turns my arse will hit their nose,(assuming they dont drag first- god im eventually getting good at this anchoring thing) i shout at them to let out more chain they look mystified and eventually reply reply by dropping another 5 meters.

So now i am applying my new jedi mind trick, turn the stereo up full blast and see if i can annoy them into moving, yes childish, but hey if i am going to get no sleep watching them for a collision!

So whats the adult way of talking to people who have done no homework and are in rental boats so dont really give a s*^t about hitting other people?
Face to face communication is always the best policy IMO. But, being drunk and slurring your words does not always give you much credibility in such discussions. Even if you are in the right. Blasting the stereo is not a good option as it will annoy others in the acnchorage too! Prancing around naked may only find you ending up on You Tube. A little discussion about how they seemed to have anchored a little too close to you which may result in damage to both boats if they should hit during the night is best. But, you would not really mind a new paint job since they would be paying for it if they remain in that location. If they still remain put on some fenders and get a good nights sleep anyway. The bump will wake you up. Then you can use a boat hook to pound on their hull to make sure they get up and correct the situation.
Old 28-09-2012, 19:08   #38
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

I spent this summer in the Med and learned quite a bit about anchoring that hadn’t been apparent in the Caribbean. The distances that boats anchor to each other is easily 50% less. It is often that a boat will drop their anchor 10' or less off your stern and slightly to one side. The scope is on average about 3 to 1. And few ever back down at all on their anchors. It also isn't a faux pas to cruise around with all fenders deployed and is the norm to deploy upon setting anchor no matter how far away other boats are.
A few stories. One is that at St. Tropez we anchored outside of the harbor and had plenty of room between us and the next boat. But as the wind shifted we did get much closer until we were maybe 40 to 50' away. The captain of the boat asked (at 11:00pm) if I thought we were too close, which I didn't. I moved anyway as I knew it would bother him, which would bother me. It took all of 15 minutes.
In St. Jean Cap Ferrat we anchored over night during a 40 knot blow. I had let out maybe 7 to 1 scope which was fine as there were few boats nearby. The next day was Bastille Day and in short order about 200 boats anchored in a small radius around us. There is a mass on the water and a Bishop performed the service about 100 meters away from us. In the middle of this, the wind shifted about 30 degrees and since I hadn’t adjusted scope, I started to swing close the large motor yacht who had anchored about 1 hour earlier. In order to not continue into him, I shorted the scope which for a period actually made us closer (40'). The captain/owner of the boat came unglued. He could have had a heart attack from the pressure exerting on his brain. Who's to blame? Maybe I should have adjusted the scope earlier but I had been there before every one of these boats arrived. I just waved to him and said sorry.
In any case, I never saw anybody actually bump into each other this whole summer. Does it happen, I'm sure. Is it something you need to go ape shi$ over - I personally don't think so. One last thing about doing retaliatory actions - be careful as the results may come back to figuratively or literally bite you. I have a sound system that is very, very, very, very loud and my son is a big rap fan.
My own opinion is that I don't own the water and neither do you. If I don't like the neighborhood for whatever reason, it's up to me to change locals or accept it.
Old 29-09-2012, 07:08   #39

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V_Surya View Post
Go out on deck, take all your clothes off and stand on the rail on their direction.
Tune in Radio Mecca and blast the call to prayer five times a day.

Along with rum, taking clothes off and singing Verdi.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2012, 08:27   #40

Boat: C&C 34 & Sonar One Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmurdoch View Post
I got a laser rangefinder for Christmas last year. It has been handy for measuring the distance to nearby anchored boats. I find that I grossly underestimate the distances to other boats when I am aboard my boat, and most of my worrying about being anchored too close is unnecessary. However, when a boat is actually too close or when I have watched a nearby boat put out way way too much rode, knowing the actual distance between the boats and the amount of chain I have out gives me some factual information to initiate a discussion. Having real numbers helps keep a conversation civil.

Bill Murdoch
That laser range finder works even better if you mount it on a rifle stock. It really gets their attention then.
Old 29-09-2012, 10:22   #41

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
Tune in Radio Mecca and blast the call to prayer five times a day.

Along with rum, taking clothes off and singing Verdi.
What happens if you don't know Verdi?
Khagan1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2012, 10:54   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by sww914 View Post
I had an auto shop in a complex of auto businesses and there was far too little parking. A recipe for fights. I never got in one because I would simply ask nicely if I needed somebody to move. Everyone else got into arguments and even a couple of minor fist fights. Keep in mind that stupidity is not the same as an attack, it's just stupidity.
We're doing this to relax...
Correct- OPS tactic is to out stupid and out annoy-seems he has excessive rode out and fears dragging- he should shorten up to match theirs the see
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2012, 15:54   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
To each their own. To me, a loud hailer with fog signals is basic safety equipment and a no-brainer at the price. Too many different uses, and it's just basic safety at sea to be able to safely make audible fog signals.
Yes and that item I linked to is a fog signaling device for making audible fog signals so I am not really sure what your issue is.
Quote:
Around here it's not even legal to have a boat without some sort of fog signal capability.
Not so here.
Certainly not for every type of boat and I doubt it is for your area either.
Do dinghys have them?
Quote:
There are laws concerning which devices are appropriate for various sized boats as well.
Can you point to the law that says that type is not legal?
Old 30-09-2012, 11:05   #44

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khagan1227 View Post
What happens if you don't know Verdi?
Not likely to be an issue. Yell something incoherent about "my anchor balls have blown to leeward!" and wave like the Queen.

They will soon move off, Verdi or not.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 23:52   #45

So far in the med, ive seen 4 yachts blown aground in strong winds (anchors dragging) several boats blown together and tangled, had one boat blown and dragged in the wind and took out my anchor as well, and just now im sitting outside ibiza town and there is a large motor boat, probably a couple of millions worth sitting at a very strange angle on the beach, looks like it was blown ashore and holed in the last blowout!

And all this was in winds of less than 45 kn.

Tags
anchor, anchoring, music