Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-04-2010, 07:24   #1
ub1

Boat: 45' leopard cat
Lofrans Tigres Windlass

I have a 14 month old lofrans tigres windlass, when powering chain out it sometimes stops and makes a whirring noise, pretty annoying, i'm hoping a gear did not go already, I thought it was one of the better units. If anyone has had this problem or knows about it please contact me, thanks
ub1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2010, 07:57   #2

Boat: Amel Mango 52'
I have the same windless, it's been working great for many years but I can't find any way to remove the old gear oil for the recommended two year oil change!

Have you re-greased the clutch discs and checked the chain guide on the bottom of the windless teeth? Does it stop completely or keep trying to pull as it makes this whirring noise and afterwards, does it re-enguage and work again?
Mango Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2010, 08:16   #3

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
Originally Posted by ub1 View Post
I have a 14 month old lofrans tigres windlass, when powering chain out it sometimes stops and makes a whirring noise, pretty annoying, i'm hoping a gear did not go already, I thought it was one of the better units. If anyone has had this problem or knows about it please contact me, thanks
I believe what is happening is your chain is twisted and hanging up in the pipe and causing the clutch to slip.
Old 15-04-2010, 08:17   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Lofrans Tigre Windlass Owner's Manual:
http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/yhst-...400AN-1200.pdf

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2010, 13:59   #5

Send a message via AIM to Chesapeake
Good ol Gordy

Good ol Gordy always gets to the meat of the matter ;-)
Old 16-04-2010, 15:57   #6

Boat: Amel Mango 52'
Quote:
Good ol Gordy always gets to the meat of the matter
Yea except that manual doesn't explain much beyond installation and use. It doesn't address any trouble shooting issues...
Mango Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2010, 16:40   #7
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
I also have a Lofrans on StarGazer and I think they are a great windlass.

Mines is the Titan www.lofrans.it and to change the oil I just use a little bulb pump and a tube that fits down the filler cap. Easy when the oil is warm.

Personally, I think there are a lot of disadvantages in deploying an anchor by “Powering it Out” with the windlass as well as a lack of “touch” in getting to know your hand brake.

The biggest danger is that you are powering out blindly from a hidden chain locker and twists, kinks and jams forces your clutch to slip, (which it is designed for) but that shortens the lifespan of the plates.

Secondly, it is slow! When I come in to an anchorage I have selected a specific contour on the bottom (usually a dip) where I want my anchor to hit… so that it will pull upwards in all directions. Letting the chain run out under gravity is much faster, allowing me to hit that spot, despite wind/tide conditions.

By getting to know the tension on my brake the chain runs out until the anchor hits bottom and then stops. As the boat naturally drifts down sideways or with some astern propulsion the links slowly pull out to the desired scope and by increasing brake tension is laid out nicely along the bottom until I apply sufficient astern power to test the hold.

When doing this, the brake is never jammed tight, allowing me to test the hold when it releases a few more links under maximum strain and inertia of a windy day. This is my safety valve in those conditions which you do not have if clutched in.

That is the big advantage to me of using only the brake. You develop that feel and can even sense the type of bottom or if it is dragging with your hand on the brake handle.

I then transfer the load to a stopper and always leave the windlass ready for quick release if needed.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2010, 16:58   #8
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
I have the Tigris on my boat and Pelagics method is pretty much the way I use it, good advice. My units 15 years old and still going strong. Parts are a bit hard to get. Finding the gasket for the motor housing was a challenge. Keeping the motor dry and clean is important. I finally took the motor housing to Home Depot and matched the gasket slot to some window screening spline, better than the expensive replacement gasket Lofrans sells.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2010, 20:02   #9
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
When we have been at sea the pile of chain falls over onto itself.

I always tell Elf to take care of it. She never does. So when hauling in she lets it pile up. So it falls over at sea. Then she leaves it piled on itself and wonders why it wont feed out, jamming the windlass.

Anyone want to educate a 'lil Elf?

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2010, 22:02   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
When we have been at sea the pile of chain falls over onto itself.

I always tell Elf to take care of it. She never does. So when hauling in she lets it pile up. So it falls over at sea. Then she leaves it piled on itself and wonders why it wont feed out, jamming the windlass.

Anyone want to educate a 'lil Elf?
1) Never pick your nose when someone is watching.
2) Never try to teach a pig to sing.
3) Always flake your chain but never use flakey chain or bake cakes in the rain when your in a little pain 'cause your babies gone again (oops soory - my brain chain wasn't flaked and I got tangled ... again).

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2010, 12:02   #11

Boat: Albin 34
lofrans tigres manual retrieval

We just had a new Lofrans Tigres installed (along with a new anchor pulpit - the old one broke!). We went out this weekend for a shake-down cruise and it worked beautifully. One of the reasons I chose the Tigres was because it had a manual backup system. I went to try it out. I inserted the handle provided in the appropriate ring ("emergency wheel") and pulled it up a half-turn, then realized that I would have to use the little lever ("pawl") on the starboard chain gypsy to keep it from going backwards. That is, it did not seem to rachet on its own. However, after that half turn, the ring started free-wheeling - no resistance - so it was no longer engaging. After running the windlass under power briefly, the ring engaged again, but just temporarily. Obviously not of any use.

Does anyone have experience with using the manual feature on this windlass? The manual provided is really all about installation and parts, and nothing about the manual operation. So, am I missing something here, or did I buy a dud for a windlass?

Thanks for any help.
Two Lauries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2010, 12:54   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Mine seems to work like expected. Sorry if it's a silly question but did you have the brake tightened?

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2010, 15:47   #13

Boat: Albin 34
Lofrans Tigres manual retrieval

I assume you mean the clutch. It is tightened and the windlass works perfectly under power in both directions.
Two Lauries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2010, 16:15   #14

Boat: Monk 36 Trawler
I installed one about a year ago, it has worked well, the three pronged adjuster wingnut on the starboard side must be tight, I don't have the manual with me but I believe they say to tighten it using the emergency handle as a "cheater" on one of the arms. When I was installing it I had a question on the wiring, I called IMTRA(SP) the US importer, the tech I spoke to was very helpful the number was on the paperwork that came with the windlass.
If the chain binds in the locker my Tigress will make a clicking sound like a ratchet.
The emergency handle works well but the stroke ot arc I can make with my mounting is small so it would take a lot of cranking to raise it.
good luck
Steve
stevensc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2010, 17:02   #15

RE: Imtra/Lofrans Tigres Windlass;
I am looking for a repair kit, as our faithful old friend is leaking oil.
Been a great windlass - time to freshen it up.
I may have to go to the local bearing supply house - but does anyone out there know of a USA distributer for these seals, bushings, etc?
Thanx
Thom
CROSSROADS
Horstman 39' Trimaran
thomwessels is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lofrans