Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2022, 18:22   #1

Boat: HR 31 Monsun
Lofrans royal windlass rebuild

Hi

I just took apart my Lofrans Royal windlass and cleaned and regreased it. Which solved the stiffness issue when trying to haul in the anchor. Now that i have got it back together it is locked up solid and will not turn at. I suspect i have got the dog clutches the wrong way around but one of them slides onto the shaft and over the key easily but the other one does not. They key slides through the clutch easily when off the shaft.

I understand that they have different directions of the teeth on both of the clutches but should both of them slide up and down on the keys easily and is there a way to tell which clutch goes on the shaft first. I take it the clutch faces should be 45 degrees to each other rather than the 90 degrees on the other side of the clutch teeth.

Before i take the file and sandpaper to the one clutch i just want to make sure the y are not different sizes, i did take a mic to them and they appeared the same.
paralog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 20:13   #2

Boat: Cape Dory 31
Re: Lofrans royal windlass rebuild

I stripped mine down to clean and lube it a couple years ago. I replaced the perishable plastic bushings and snap ring. I had the exploded diagram in front of me, all the components laid out in their relative positions and the tools required. Perhaps this photo can be of some help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2FAC101E-BE33-41F1-BFB6-20FF968FA17B.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	425.3 KB
ID:	262628  
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lofrans, rebuild, wind, windlass