Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-11-2009, 14:21   #1

Lofrans Progress II Removal

I'm trying to get my Lofrans Progress II windlass out. I've cleared everything from the top half of the windlass minus the base. Below I've removed the four nuts from the bolts that appear to be holding it to the deck. I can turn the whole motor assembly below decks and that also turns the shaft, I just can't get it to pop free.

I should also say my II is old, and in fact it looks more like the schematics of the Progress I than the II.

Is there something I'm missing or should I just start putting in some wedges to pry it off?

Thanks,
-p
Old 15-11-2009, 15:47   #2

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
If the cutout in the deck is large enough to accommodate the passing of the motor and the bolts are removed you should be able to lift it straight up. There may be a lot of sealer (which there should be) under the base holding it down.

Try taking a hacksaw blade and grinding the sides off the teeth (the set, so it doesn't scratch the deck) and slide it under the edge that seems to be the thickest, and start seesawing your way around the base. Wrap one end with tape to make it EZ on the hand.

Get what you can, lifting up occasionally to see if it will pry loose the rest of the way. Also you can use a small pry bar with a metal plate against the deck where you've used the blade.

Another method is using a piece of music wire. But it takes two people working together. Force one end of the wire under the base until it comes thru on the inside and have the other person pull, while you can pull the other way, seesawing it back and forth cutting thru the sealer. It takes teamwork.

Enjoy!
Old 16-11-2009, 04:52   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
... Try taking a hacksaw blade and grinding the sides off the teeth (the set, so it doesn't scratch the deck) and slide it under the edge that seems to be the thickest, and start seesawing your way around the base. Wrap one end with tape to make it EZ on the hand...
Then save the customised saw blade for future use. This is one of those simple but effective tricks that make a tradesman's life a little easier.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2009, 09:18   #4

Word on the street from the IMTRA rep (the distributor) is that I can take a socket extendion and give the shaft a whack from the bottom and it should slide up. It was really hard to get the clutch cone off of the shaft (last piece on the top side) so I'm guessing the shaft is just gummed up so badly its not sliding off. When I go to work on the deck plate I'll try that saw blade technique. I'll post back about how it all goes.

Thanks guys!
Old 16-11-2009, 11:00   #5

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick_Seattle View Post
I'll post back about how it all goes.
Pictures too????
Old 17-11-2009, 23:26   #6
Marine Service Provider

Sounds like a bent key in the main shaft keyway, not that uncommon.

The fix is 'the bash' onto the bottom of the main shaft as you describe.
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2009, 00:07   #7

I dont' think anything is bent, it just hadn't been serviced regularly and instead of grease acting as a lubricant I had grease acting as a binder. This summer when I serviced the top side of the windlass I had to use a heat gun a proctive pad and a hammed to get it apart. Once apart, cleaned and lightly greased it worked much better. I'm looking forward to how it works after I have the whole thing apart!

Tags
lofrans, removal