Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2012, 15:33   #1

Lofrans Marlin ML005172 Windless

Help - I recently donated a 125 feet of chain and anchor to the bowels of beautiful Lake Powell. My problem is the following - I don't know what size and type of chain I had originally. I think the chain was 3/16 HT possibly 1/4 HT?
Don't know.

The windless came from the factory on my 2003 Regal 2765 cruiser which is 30 foot center line and about 10,000 pounds loaded??

Can anyone tell me how it was most likely set up from the factory? I have purchased a 14 pound delta plow anchor and want to set it up right.

Also while I'm at it: Combo rope and chain versus all chain? I'm hearing more prefer all chain - doesn't get hung up and doesn't ware out, although more expensive?

Your response with the recipe here would be greatly appreciated. What type of set up would you do? Is the gypsy replacement a option? How many feet of chain and or rope what size and what type?

Thank you

JD
jdammen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 22:12   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: Lofrans Marlin ML005172 Windless

I'd think it would have been a 1/4" gyspy fitted. Be very surprised to see a smaller or 5/16" on a Marlin. The gypsy can come off real easy so as it's a good time to give the winch a small splash of maintenance you'll have the gypsy off anyway Take it with you to a chandler and double check the size.

Rope to chain rodes work very well if the right rope is used and it's spliced properly. If your mates are having issues with R2C (rope 2 chain) rodes it'll be due to poor rope/chain choice or an installation issue. I know this as it's my job so I'd say it's 85% a wrong rope issue they have going on.

It comes down to weight, as in can your bow handle all chain, if not a R2C rode it is. If it can it's a personal call as you are paying for it. The winch is a goodie so can handle all chain as long as you don't want to fit 500'.
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:28   #3

Boat: Lagoon 37
Re: Lofrans Marlin ML005172 Windless

there are specific numbers on the gypsy, it may take some wire brushing, but they are there. They are part of the casting on the gypsy, then go to lofrans web site, and they will show what chain to use
https://www.sailblogs.com/member/svjusdreaming/
"The only way to get a good crew is to marry one." -Eric Hiscock
JusDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lofrans