Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-03-2011, 11:03   #1

Lighthouse 1501 Windlass Motor Casing

my lighthouse 1501 motor is below-deck inside the chain box which opens only from below-deck. the casing of the motor has rusted through and through. how can i get the bad casing (not other parts, which work well) removed and replaced by a new casing?
yzlian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2011, 18:13   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 42CE
Re: lighthouse 1501 motor casing

Contact the manufacturer:

About Lighthouse
V42 #186 s/v Little Wing
arisatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2011, 15:14   #3

You can get rubber boots from Lighthouse to protect the ends - at least you could in 1997!

I got these from them when I had corrosion problems on the end caps way back then.

At the same time I used an appropriately sized tyre (tire) inner tube to protect the motor body casing from moisture off the chain (I used talc on the inside to help ease it over the casing) before the rubber boots were put in place (a jubilee clip effecting the seal between boot & rubber inner tube).

14 years on and all is good.

HTH
RoseofWight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2011, 01:21   #4

thanks for the tip... but just now i encountered another problem with my 1501 -- more serious than a rusted motor housing:

while trying out the windlass (hooked up only to house bank battery, with engine NOT running), the motor at first operated normally, but before finishing pulling 30 ft of chain or so, the motor stopped working and became very hot. the heat also melted the perko switch, which no longer conducts current.

question: (1) what happened? (2) would the motor be burned & now destroyed beyond repair? -- i hope not... the 1501 motor is supposed to be overload-proof, etc, right? (3) what may have caused it to happen?
yzlian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2011, 04:46   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzlian View Post
thanks for the tip... but just now i encountered another problem with my 1501 -- more serious than a rusted motor housing:

while trying out the windlass (hooked up only to house bank battery, with engine NOT running), the motor at first operated normally, but before finishing pulling 30 ft of chain or so, the motor stopped working and became very hot. the heat also melted the perko switch, which no longer conducts current.

question: (1) what happened? (2) would the motor be burned & now destroyed beyond repair? -- i hope not... the 1501 motor is supposed to be overload-proof, etc, right? (3) what may have caused it to happen?
Hi,

It's beyond my expertise.

I last contacted Lighthouse in 2009. I believe Nigel Calder purchased another Lighthouse for his new boat last year so I assume they are still in business.

The only email I have is

info 'at' lighthouse-mfg-usa

I usually dealt with Flora Walker.
Old 30-03-2011, 01:11   #6

I've just been in touch with Flora Walker at Lighthouse by email regarding a spare part I needed.

Response was by return (allowing for time difference).

Send her an email (to - info@etc) outlining your problems.

Tags
motor, windlass