Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-05-2020, 11:29   #76

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: Lantern as anchor light?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor_Grant View Post
So yesterday I climbed the mast of my new boat to change the anchor light, and realized there wasn't one installed! I am not going to install one until next season when I unstep the mast, so what can I use for the meantime?

I was thinking about hoisting up a battery-powered lantern or something like that with a halyard. Would this be a suitable replacement for the time being, and is it legal?
The short answer is yes.

If you are concerned about it being bright enough just do a little research. You can get really strong, bright lantern lights.

I've used nothing but a lantern hanging from the boom for the last 9 years
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 11:37   #77

Boat: Westerly Conway 36ft

Rules? Who cares about the rules? I'm trying to save my life here. I've been known to miss the marina tidal gate outside a busy fishing port in France & end up anchoring overnight not that far outside. Its a good protected & marked anchorage but have you seen the steel bows on those BIG French trawlers as they return to port? I use the anchor light at the top of the mast but also a separate bright LED lantern in the rigging & have also thought about using the deck light & the steamer light before now. They are all LED so altogether draw less power than 1 old fashioned bulb. I also have my AIS transponder on so they can see me on screen from well off at sea. Just in case they might go onto autopilot while getting ready to enter port, while I am snoring below.
Clivevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 11:39   #78

Boat: Westerly Conway 36ft

Just to be clear. Of course I do follow the rules - but its not so I can follow the rules. Its to be safer.
Clivevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 12:58   #79

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Still in this thread we keep referring to an anchor light as a masthead light, and I do not believe that is what a masthead light is, for if it is, then when underway under power, we are required to light our anchor light, our side lights and our stern light, and I don’t think we have to have our anchor light on.
However as sailboats less than 12 meters are not required to have a steaming light, they may run their anchor light instead.
But the masthead light, is the steaming light, not the anchor light
Whatever this thread is discussing The member was trying to pull a dictionary definition into what is partly a legal discussion where the word is specifically defined. I was attempting to short circuit a bunfight about definitions.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 13:19   #80

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Lanterns are nice for light, but as Thinwater mentioned earlier, if it is not a focused beam it may not cut it as an anchor light. In spite of the old kerosene lantern having only a small flame, it is still remarkably visible 2 miles out going through the fresnel. Still, there are a few LED camping lanterns with a true 360 range that are pretty bright, they'd probably make the cut. As far as placement, if below the boom really gives you a clear shot all around, minus the mast, then ok. In my boat I have to get it a bit higher to be sure.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 15:33   #81

Boat: Bristol 27

I'm thinking a lantern is much brighter than a mast head light and may actually be the better method.

It can light up the whole lower part of the boat and the water around it.

So it's not just about a tiny light at the top of the mast.

After it turns totally dark my lantern will light up my entire cockpit and the water around the boat a bit.

If you cannot see that coming into an anchorage, you are blind.

And btw, the guy with the multihull broke free in the squall and I radioed him just in case he didn't know.

He had a nice anchor light though!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00002 (1).jpg
Views:	85
Size:	403.9 KB
ID:	214521   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00003 (1).jpg
Views:	80
Size:	344.2 KB
ID:	214522  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00001.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	405.3 KB
ID:	214523   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00002.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	404.1 KB
ID:	214524  

thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 16:45   #82

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I don’t believe that is describing an anchor light. Go to rule 23a where it talks about power vessels and see what it’s calling a mast head light.

I believe that (e) (all around light) may be the anchor light, or are we saying that an anchor light only has to be seen for an arc of only 225 degrees?

Nobody is saying the the 225 degree light is an anchor light.

The point of the definition of "masthead light" was to show it is actually the steaming light. Obviously not a legal anchor light. But the steaming light can be located at the masthead (along with the separate anchor light), and maybe for a power vessel that is typical.
Old 06-05-2020, 18:11   #83

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Use your steaming light for now. it's legal on smaller boats.
No it's not - it leaves a 135° arc unlit. It is NOT an "all round light"
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 18:15   #84
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
I do, that's why I lit the likes of you up with a searchlight.

But how about you display some seamanship and run a light like you are supposed to.
The point is, in a designated anchorage or mooring field you're not "supposed" to. It's not required by COLREGS. In remote places where there's absolutely no chance of anyone passing by, it doesn't matter. This is about common sense. If I ever anchor where I think you might come barging in, I'll be sure to hang out every light I own, blow every horn, ring every bell, and have the life raft ready in case you hit me anyway. Anywhere you are not, I think I'll be OK.
Old 06-05-2020, 18:25   #85

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
The point is, in a designated anchorage or mooring field you're not "supposed" to. It's not required by COLREGS.

"not supposed to" is very different to "shall not be required to" (which is what the US rule says).

If you were "not supposed to", the rule would say "should not".

It IS required by COLREGs. It's not required by US Rules in some designated locations in the US.

Quote:
In remote places where there's absolutely no chance of anyone passing by, it doesn't matter.

Please tell us one place where you go and there's "absolutely no chance of anyone passing by". If you have got there, there's always a chance that someone else will as well.
Old 06-05-2020, 18:30   #86

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
The point is, in a designated anchorage or mooring field you're not "supposed" to.
I believe that it is only in "special anchorages" that the lighting is not required. There are lots of "designated" anchorages that do not qualify as "special"anchorages, and hence anchor ilghts are still required nearly everywhere one is likely to drop a hook.

I've been cruising and anchoring for the last 34 years now, and have yet to be in a "special" anchorage. They are rare beasts in the USA and extinct elsewhere.

And the anchorage where you are "absolutely sure that no one else will be passing by" is rarer yet. Perhaps Unicorn Bay qualifies...

Defending your unseamanlike practice is not a good look IMO, but carry on if you must. I hope that your bad example does not corrupt the many newbies that follow these pages.

Jim
Old 06-05-2020, 18:44   #87

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Posted by Cheechako
'Use your steaming light for now. it's legal on smaller boats.'
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Something lost in Cheechaco's translation.... however ....Under 12 metres you can have a combined stern/steaming light... so yes it can be used as an anchor light...

Rule 25
'(d)

(i) A power-driven vessel of less that 12 metres in length may in lieu of the lights prescribed in paragraph (a) of this Rule exhibit an all-round white light and sidelights;

(ii) a power-driven vessel of less than 7 metres in length whose maximum speed does not exceed 7 knots may in lieu of the lights prescribed in paragraph (a) of this Rule exhibit an all-round white light and shall, if practicable, also exhibit sidelights;'
Old 06-05-2020, 19:09   #88

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Please tell us one place where you go and there's "absolutely no chance of anyone passing by". If you have got there, there's always a chance that someone else will as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
And the anchorage where you are "absolutely sure that no one else will be passing by" is rarer yet. Perhaps Unicorn Bay qualifies...

Defending your unseamanlike practice is not a good look IMO, but carry on if you must. I hope that your bad example does not corrupt the many newbies that follow these pages.
Thanks guys. This was/is my concern as well. It demonstrates exceedingly poor seamanship. Since this is a thread asking for advice, it cannot go uncorrected.
Old 06-05-2020, 19:16   #89

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Posted by Cheechako
'Use your steaming light for now. it's legal on smaller boats.'

Something lost in Cheechaco's translation.... however ....Under 12 metres you can have a combined stern/steaming light... so yes it can be used as an anchor light...

Rule 25
'(d)

(i) A power-driven vessel of less that 12 metres in length may in lieu of the lights prescribed in paragraph (a) of this Rule exhibit an all-round white light and sidelights;

(ii) a power-driven vessel of less than 7 metres in length whose maximum speed does not exceed 7 knots may in lieu of the lights prescribed in paragraph (a) of this Rule exhibit an all-round white light and shall, if practicable, also exhibit sidelights;'

A "steaming light" (masthead light) is not an all-round white light. An all-round white light is not a "combined steaming light and stern light".
A masthead light and stern light are two different lights which have specific location requirements compared to an all-round white light.

If instead of a steaming light and stern light, you have an all-round white light, that it an entirely different matter

And "smaller" is a very imprecise term. When around commercial vessels/ fishing vessels etc I consider my cat to be a smaller vessel but it's not "less than 12 metres"
Old 06-05-2020, 19:34   #90

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
A "steaming light" (masthead light) is not an all-round white light. An all-round white light is not a "combined steaming light and stern light".
A masthead light and stern light are two different lights which have specific location requirements compared to an all-round white light.

If instead of a steaming light and stern light, you have an all-round white light, that it an entirely different matter

And "smaller" is a very imprecise term. When around commercial vessels/ fishing vessels etc I consider my cat to be a smaller vessel but it's not "less than 12 metres"
You , Sir, are taking pedantry to a whole new level.........

Tags
anchor