Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-02-2011, 07:45   #1

Boat: Finnsailer 38
Kingston Anchors ?

Let's try to keep this thread on the topic and not a general discussion of anchor alternatives. Specifically, does anyone have direct experience using a Kingston QuickSet (looks somewhat like a Delta) or the Kingston Hi-Strength (copy of Danforth Hi-Tensile) anchor? These are made in Canada by Kingston Anchors. They are reasonably priced, readily available, and appear to be well made from a distance, though I have not examined one closely. Kingston claims the QuickSet has much greater holding power than the Delta. There is brief data on the company's own tests on the Web site.
Old 21-02-2011, 08:28   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Kingston anchors?

We had a Kingston HS-20 lightweight (Danforth style) on our Mirage 26. It served us well in Lake Superior (1980's).

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2011, 09:08   #3

Re: Kingston Anchors ?

Do you see a lot of Kingston anchors up there? I imagine they must be cheaper than some of the alternatives for you as they are made in Canada.

One reason I ask about Kingston anchors is that I was in a West Marine the other day looking at some smaller sized anchors for dinghies, etc., and I was dismayed that the Danforth types they were selling looked pretty crappy. I don't know who makes them, but they said made in China on them.
Old 23-02-2011, 09:34   #4

Wow, surprised there aren't more Kingston anchor users on here. They are widely available in the Defender and Hamilton Marine catalogs, and I see them in a lot of stores.
Old 28-02-2011, 02:50   #5

Boat: Westsail 33

Hope this fits in with this thread.
Does anyone have experience with the Kingston Yachtsman anchor?
I understand they are a copy of the Herreshoff design.

I would especially be interested to find if they are available in Australia.
Hotboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 06:21   #6

Boat: CS36 Traditional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
Wow, surprised there aren't more Kingston anchor users on here. They are widely available in the Defender and Hamilton Marine catalogs, and I see them in a lot of stores.
If you look at the online stores, there are not many who carry Kingston anchors and I was unable to find any Canadian online stores who carry the QuickSet (including Pride Marine which is based out of Kingston). I don't know if one can read anything into that...but it helps explain why you don't see more owners.

Online distributors seem to only carry the Lewmar Delta or a no-name copy. My guess is they want to simplify their inventory. They also probably want to upsell to a more expensive brand.

One thing I wonder about the Quickset is that the hiTensile Steel is only in the shank, which is of course were you want it but I wonder if other brands have more overall strength.

I too am looking to replace my 35lb CQR. I am actually looking in favour of a Rocna 20 but I also realize that for roughly half the price (or less) I can get an oversized Delta style.

It is a tough call choosing an anchor. You don't want to cheap out and find yourself having a sleepless night (or worse) but then spending more does not guarrantee statisfaction. However, as a Canadian, I am inclined to support Canadian products if they are suitable.

As for the Yachtsman anchor, it seems to be a lot of money for something that would be used infrequently and does not appear to be overly complicated to manufacture. But then again, it has "yacht" in the name...

Andrew
ADMPRTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 15:19   #7

Hi Andrew,
I agree the listed price online does seem excessive however is the Yachtsman crown and arm section forged or cast. I suspect it is cast which means the Kingston company has gone to some trouble in setting up tooling for production and thus has to recover costs.

Please let me diverge quickly and say, I had a Lloyds Certified 'Higwood" plough anchor that was welded in construction. One might say it was a little "agricultural". This 50lb anchor dug in and held on a hard clay bottom where my 60lb forged Manson kept dragging. No criticism of Manson, but my point is, maybe we are swayed in our decision making by appearances when sometimes old-fashioned, less polished products/anchors have stood the test of time for their intended purpose.

Lets face it we would all like that effective all-round anchor. Prudence dictates that we hedge our bets by having more than one alternative if possible.
Old 01-03-2011, 15:25   #8

Oops!! let me retract that "I suspect it was cast" and insert that I suspect it was forged.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:45   #9

Good points. I also guess that economies of scale are a big factor in regards to the YachtsMan price. Due to the specialized nature of the anchor, I am sure they sell very few in a year.

However, adding it ones arsenal depends on where one sails and the type of weather once can expect. For me, sailing inland waters, it is not a practical solution.

BTW, I read that type of anchor can be a problem in shifting winds, were the rode/chain can get tangled up on the flukes and dislodge the anchor. That would be a big concern in an extreme situation where one was depending on the anchor (i.e. a gale/hurricane).

Andrew
Old 02-03-2011, 11:20   #10

Hi Andrew,
I guess we are influenced by people we respect . I recall seeing Lyn and Larry Pardy discussing theirs. I appeared to be a Kingston Yachtsman or maybe it was a Luke, as I believe both make a similar anchor. One of their points was that the diamond shaped points not only offered a greater surface for holding, but was less likely to snag the chain as you mentioned.

Having said that on at least one occasion I remember a strong current combined with a 25 kt wind caused me to be curious about our the holding power of our 50lb admiralty pattern anchor. Being near a coral island on the Great Barrier Reef the water was crystal so I dived on it to discover that athough the anchor had well and truly dug in, and the 1/2" chain had looped back with the change of wind, it was the weight of the chain that held the boat there. There was not tension on the anchor at all.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:58   #11

I think I may have misread the statement on the fisherman anchor (taken from "The Complete Anchoring Handbook: Stay Put on Any Bottom in Any Weather"). Looking back at what I read, it discusses fouling but does not mention anything about the rode getting fouled.

That is interesting on what you mentioned about the chain. I am currently updating my ground tackle and my supplier recommended going with a heavier chain (G4 3/8") for the same reason. I will now be a bit on the heavy side (for a 36' boat) but I should be able to sleep well. :-)
Old 05-03-2011, 23:42   #12

Boat: Grampian 26

I was at Kingston Anchors the other day and snapped a few shot for yall, they are great anchors and the welds look neat, and uniform, the backs were ground good and it had a solid feel to it.
I got a 30 lb quickset, while I was there.
Attached are some pics i took of the anchors
Bill

Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM2769.jpg
Views:	520
Size:	404.7 KB
ID:	24628

Name:	HPIM2767.jpg
Views:	638
Size:	407.1 KB
ID:	24629

Name:	HPIM2766.jpg
Views:	454
Size:	406.4 KB
ID:	24630

Name:	HPIM2765.jpg
Views:	556
Size:	406.0 KB
ID:	24631

Name:	HPIM2764.jpg
Views:	698
Size:	414.5 KB
ID:	24632

Name:	HPIM2763.jpg
Views:	469
Size:	391.5 KB
ID:	24633
knottygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 05:52   #13

Bill, thanks for doing that! Great shots too. I see you went for the QuickSet over the plow. Boy does that 50lb QuickSet look big compared to the 35 lb number. It's neat you were able to buy direct from the manufacturer, or are you a dealer? Do they have a regular retail operation there?
Old 06-03-2011, 06:51   #14

Boat: contessa 32

Interesting thought here re yachtsman anchor: Since all studies indicate bigger (i.e. heavier) equals more holding power, then yachstman type would seem to be poor economy as when dug into the bottom properly more than half remains above the sea floor;whereas any burying type will give 100% of its potential to staying put. I am purposely ignoring style here,but what sailor wants to manhandle extra " dead" weight or to carry it around in the forward parts of the vessel. Have used all major types and have only found yachstmans anchors usefull in kelp or on tattoos.
Might change my mind tho, if I moved to Maine.
mrohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 06:58   #15

Boat: Maxum 2700 SCR (28')

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
Bill, thanks for doing that! Great shots too. I see you went for the QuickSet over the plow. Boy does that 50lb QuickSet look big compared to the 35 lb number. It's neat you were able to buy direct from the manufacturer, or are you a dealer? Do they have a regular retail operation there?
Great company, easy to deal with, honest.Great product line.We use the Kingston HS-20 on Lake Ontario, and have never had a problem.
Jim Quibell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor