Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-03-2017, 17:31   #61
Marine Service Provider

Boat: SS Crocker design #131
Re: Kedge Anchor with no chain and Spectra Dyneema rode.

We have a Fortress kedge anchor -- that we also sometimes use for a stern anchor -- FX 55 I think is the number. It's 37 lb and the same size as our 95 lb Danforth steel anchor.

We have 400' of low stretch polyester line of the sort used for running rigging and that is our kedge line. When we use the Fortress as a stern anchor, we use a different rode--but also a low stretch polyester rather than nylon or other rode. So far so good with that use.

The Fortress does seem to "float" and we joke about it all the time. Takes a while, and a bit of care, to sink and set with no chain on it at all.

It makes an ideal kedge anchor for us -- light weight and easier to handle than any of our other anchors which are all in the 100 lb+ range, the Danforth being the next lightest to the Fortress.
Old 30-03-2017, 19:40   #62

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Chandlery View Post
We have a Fortress kedge anchor -- that we also sometimes use for a stern anchor -- FX 55 I think is the number. It's 37 lb and the same size as our 95 lb Danforth steel anchor.

We have 400' of low stretch polyester line of the sort used for running rigging and that is our kedge line. When we use the Fortress as a stern anchor, we use a different rode--but also a low stretch polyester rather than nylon or other rode. So far so good with that use.

The Fortress does seem to "float" and we joke about it all the time. Takes a while, and a bit of care, to sink and set with no chain on it at all.

It makes an ideal kedge anchor for us -- light weight and easier to handle than any of our other anchors which are all in the 100 lb+ range, the Danforth being the next lightest to the Fortress.
While I believe you have made good choice, and cannot offer much of an answer to what seems like the question, here is what I would say: Floating is probably more like "sailing" as it sinks. Perhaps like shaped stone rather than rock. Some chain, say ~25 feet, could improve things including assisting the performance of what is already an excellent second (or kedge) anchor.
Old 31-03-2017, 15:59   #63

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Chandlery View Post
Thanks SC. Thats great firsthand information. Good to know a Fortress without chain will work.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 31-03-2017, 16:29   #64
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

I've been no-chain for over a year. I find it goes down straight if you lower it rather than "toss" it. Unless there is considerable current, it just goes straight down so long as there is some tension on the line. It's not like 15-20 pounds of aluminum is nothing. But if you just toss it, it can glide.

Now, is that always a bad thing? If you take a kedge out, to the end of the rode, and then let it go, it will try to fly away from the boat, farther stretching the rode. The rode keeps it aimed that way. Really. When there is no current--common--this actually helps, laying the rode out pretty as anything.

I also keep chain available. There will always be exceptions, and hard liners restrict them selves to only one answer. I like a single anchor with all chain, but I like options too.
Old 12-04-2017, 12:13   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
I have yet to figure out a good way to attach a snubber midspan. Maybe someone else will devise such a solution.
Here's what I came up with a while back. Stupid simple, maybe too simple for anyone to produce commercially.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...nk-138917.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	knotless4.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	370.2 KB
ID:	145259  
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2017, 09:02   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
Here's what I came up with a while back. Stupid simple, maybe too simple for anyone to produce commercially.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...nk-138917.html
That's gorgeous!
Cu Mor Glas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, dyneema, rode