Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-12-2010, 06:22   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post

Your swivel is nearly always going to be the weak point in your ground tackle. .
I agree. When I upgraded my ground tackle a couple of years ago, I considered going with a swivel. The package stated the safe working load and it was almost double what the SWL was for the chain. No longer a weak link.....but the more I thought about it the more I questioned the logic. That design loading is based on a straight line pull and should a side loading develop then you can throw out those numbers entirely. Even with a good elastic bridle the failure mode will be in the shock loading as the boat swings from side to side with the wind or bobs up and down with the waves. Probably both. Any binding of the anchor chain and swivel will induce failure earlier than expected and for that reason I like a short link anchor chain(BBB) and no swivel. Plus I like to stay away from stainless due to it's failure can be sudden without any warning like you will not get with galvanized steel which will show deformation prior to failure. And while I replaced my CQR with the new design manson supreme, the CQR gets a bad rap with all this so called objective anchor tests. The advanage the CQR has is in the hinge design which allows the anchor to piviot with the wind shifts without resetting. However, it is difficult to set under certain condition and for that reason I upgraded with the supreme.
lancelot9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2010, 06:44   #17
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancelot9898 View Post
I agree. When I upgraded my ground tackle a couple of years ago, I considered going with a swivel. The package stated the safe working load and it was almost double what the SWL was for the chain. No longer a weak link.....
Really? What was the break load? Did you ever think that the SWLs might be based on different ratios?

Quote:
but the more I thought about it the more I questioned the logic. That design loading is based on a straight line pull and should a side loading develop then you can throw out those numbers entirely.
That's why Duncan, and Nick, have both sensibly installed shackles between the anchor and the swivel, which a little attention from you might have shown.

Quote:
Any binding of the anchor chain and swivel will induce failure earlier than expected
Why?
Binding's a nuisance, and other than wear and corrosion issues is not going to cause the swivel to spontaneously implode.

Quote:
and for that reason I like a short link anchor chain(BBB)
For that reason you like the weakest chain you could find?

Quote:
Plus I like to stay away from stainless due to it's failure can be sudden
Which of the hundreds of grades of stainless are you talking about? You are wrong with most of them.

Exert the break load of any product on it, and you will tend to find the failure rather sudden.

Quote:
without any warning like you will not get with galvanized steel which will show deformation prior to failure.
Which of the hundreds of grades of steel are you talking about?

Your deformation is just plastic failure before break. Ductile steels will do this, and effectively destroy the chain, at a lower fraction of their break points than higher tensile steels will. How do you suppose this visual feedback is useful? Are you on the bow watching the links with a pair of verniers? Or you just expect to see the evidence of failed chain after the fact, assuming it didn't quite reach the break point. At half the force better steels might have endured.

Quote:
And while I replaced my CQR with the new design manson supreme, the CQR gets a bad rap with all this so called objective anchor tests.
So you went for a cheap knock-off, with substantial compromises over the genuine article, and poor construction quality.

Quote:
The advanage the CQR has is in the hinge design which allows the anchor to piviot with the wind shifts without resetting.
No it doesn't. The CQR's articulation is how it sets, or is at least supposed to. It has nothing at all to do with "allowing the anchor to pivot with the wind", an idea which should be quickly dismissed as totally illogical if given a moment's clear thought.

Back to anchor school with you Lancelot.
craigsmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor