Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-02-2012, 12:57   #1
CLOD

Boat: none
Joining Chain #5

#5 because I read the other 4. I want to add chain to my boat and have been trying to decide between a new longer one (the most correct and expensive opinion) and just adding 100' of chain to what I have. Adding would give me 120' chain and 200'+ of rope, which would be more than enough the next few year in the Northeast.

Seems that no joinng links that I have been able to find will not be a lot less strength that my 5/16" G4. I also want it to work in my windlass as this is really the main reason I want to add as I'm tried of dealing with the rope that doesn't feed well.

Any ideas?
Old 16-02-2012, 05:00   #2
CLOD

Re: joining chain #5

What's up

No one here on CF knows., do I need to start anging out at the "other" sites?

Do the C-link connectors at least go though a windlass without a problem?
Old 16-02-2012, 05:13   #3

Boat: Dudley Dix Hout Bay 33

Apparently C-links do not feed well through some windlasses but manage others. I personally don't have any experience either way. An acquaintance of mine extended his chain by having the two chains welded together then load tested them to 2/3 of the supposed Breaking Strain. That worked for him. If you've only got 20' of chain to start with I'd be inclined to go for an entire new chain, but that is purely my opinion and based on the ideal world of unlimited funds - I wish!
Old 16-02-2012, 05:50   #4

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Just use the new 100 ft of chain and your line, keep the 20 ft for another anchor in the future. just a thought ! Bob and Connie
bobconnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2012, 06:08   #5
Armchair Bucketeer

Guessing that rope will have less breaking strain than the chain, so if always need to use at least some rope then strength of the chain link not so much of an issue (as will have something weaker than the chain linking onto the rope anyway).

In regard to the windlass feeding - maybe have a chain counter and simply (manually) lift the link over the windlass - even if you have to use some method of taking strain off the chain to do so (but an anchor, plus 20 foot of chain not that heavy - even if likely hanging mid water).

Or maybe if 100' of chain and 200' of rope covers most of your anchoring needs - add the extra (existing) 20' onto the inboard end, for occassional use.

Personally I would splash out for the extra 20 foot of chain.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2012, 06:09   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

I, an doing the same thing with the same chain addiding 100 ft to an existing 120 ft.Too expensive to start from scratch.This will be running thru a Lewmar 1000 pro Windlass.I'll let you know in a couple of weeks.
casual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2012, 06:17   #7
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Guessing that rope will have less breaking strain than the chain, so if always need to use at least some rope then strength of the chain link not so much of an issue (as will have something weaker than the chain linking onto the rope anyway).

The rope is a LOT stronger than a C-link. But it was worth a thought and I looked it up.
Old 16-02-2012, 06:29   #8
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
The rope is a LOT stronger than a C-link. But it was worth a thought and I looked it up.
I think that I may (?!) have garbled my previous post a bit - was referring both to the breaking strain of the rope (appears not to be an issue ) and the join / link between rope and chain.....I would suggest that the (chain to chain) C-link (or whatever) only needs to be as strong as that rope / chain join (notwithstanding that stronger would be better!).
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2012, 06:36   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Endeavour 35, 1984,

Quote:
Originally Posted by casual View Post
I, an doing the same thing with the same chain addiding 100 ft to an existing 120 ft.Too expensive to start from scratch.This will be running thru a Lewmar 1000 pro Windlass.I'll let you know in a couple of weeks.
I'm interested to know what kind of link are you using?
Old 16-02-2012, 07:08   #10
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

The existing rode sounds perfect for a kedge. Buy a Fortress fx-37 to dangle on the end of it, and you'll be doing it a favor. Then, purchase a proper all-chain rode for your current working anchor.
Old 16-02-2012, 07:20   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Suncor makes a stainless link that is very close in size to ISO G4 chain. Unfortunately it is half the strength. I've been looking for a way to join G4 chain for about thirty years and haven't found it yet.
Old 16-02-2012, 08:43   #12

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat
Re: Joining Chain #5

I added 75' to my 90' last year with a Crosby c-link (strongest I could find) and it feeds through a Lewmar Concept 1 windlass with no problems. As an added precaution, I added a line of Amsteel between the two ends (before the link) just incase... this feeds fine too.

With just 20' on your current rode, I would think about just getting the new chain and not worrying about adding the old 20'.
Matt Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2012, 09:35   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT View Post
An acquaintance of mine extended his chain by having the two chains welded together then load tested them to 2/3 of the supposed Breaking Strain. That worked for him.
I have welded several chains together with a zero failure rate.... the only caveat is that the welded link did corrode and needed replacing before the rest of the chain.
Old 16-02-2012, 16:52   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

Fun Johnson,where do you find Crosby C links,Seaeched the site nothing liste.Thanks for the help
casual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2012, 18:09   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

I've heard of people using Dyneema/Amsteel line to make the join. These new high strength/low stretch lines are way stronger than the chain and quite chafe resistant. Probably best to use mulitple wraps of small diameter line and space out the end of the chain so it fits your gypsy skipping a link.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote