Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2021, 05:54   #1

Jeanneau Windlass design - FAIL

They decided to put the windlass under the deck level in a compartment with hatch doors.

The problem is the moulded a FIBREGLASS mount for the windlass!!
It has a 1inch piece of wood in the base where the windlass bolts, but the bolts have pulled through that and so someone added a steel reinforcing plate which secures the windlass, but when chain pulls hard, the entire fibreglass moulding flexs about 4 inches as the windlass tries to tear it out of the boat!

This has naturally caused some tearing of the 5/16 fibreglass sides and so windlass is utterly useless.

Add to that a bent spindle, stripper broken off, wrong size gypsy for the 10mm chain and its time to cut out everything and start again in metal.

Trying to source a windlass this month in Italy is proving to be impossible. I was told to wait until September to even think about trying to order one.
Where is there an online windlass store in the EU that can ship one?
GreenHeaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 07:03   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression
Re: Jeanneau Windlass design - FAIL

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenHeaven View Post

Trying to source a windlass this month in Italy is proving to be impossible. I was told to wait until September to even think about trying to order one.
Where is there an online windlass store in the EU that can ship one?
https://www.svb24.com/en/category/an...indlasses.html
more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 07:05   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Wow! Sounds like a very frustrating mess. Hang in there, and let's think about it.

Nautimarket may be your best bet for the windlass:

https://www.nautimarket-europe.com/e...hoCKXUQAvD_BwE

That said, the bigger task is designing and fabricating the box it goes in. Let's guess that you are going to want to retain the basic design given such problems as re-routing the chain. I'm going to suggest aluminum angle or channel as the basic material, with fiberglass cloth and epoxy as well. Consider a horizontal frame around the box at the deck level, another frame around the bottom, and verticals to join the two. Purhaps an aluminum plate for the windlass to sit on. Then, lay up fiberglass, both repairing the cracks and encasing the frame you've built.

That's about as far as I can go with a recommendation based on your description of the situation. If you want some detailed suggestions from the constructor types on the forum, post some photographs.
Old 05-08-2021, 04:08   #4

Boat: no boat any more

Allroundmarin
Quick & Lewmar distributor
Old 05-08-2021, 09:17   #5

Try. They are UK based.

https://jimmygreen.com/748-Windlasses
Stewie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 09:39   #6
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie12 View Post
buy nothing from the UK that has to be shipped to the EU, its a paperwork nightmare and expensive . If you are in the EU buy from an EU chandlery

try helmstock.com in italy ( Tuscany ) an online chandlery
Old 05-08-2021, 12:30   #7

WOW! Thank you guys for those leads!!!

Yes shipping form the UK is a guaranteed nightmare right now.

Oh and SVB dont actually take credit cards unless you have German CC, they just leave that part out on their website.... its a bait and switch. They email you offering "alternative payment options". Pity cos they have nice selection of products.

As for the mounting plate, I think I have decided to make it out of metal and just cut out the FG box with wood base that Jeannau designed (to save money obviously) a few inches below the deck. Its just a terrible desgn.

I think I will go from side to side with a metal plate and attach it to the deck and hull at several points. It means drilling holes in the hull, but I just cant see a way to attach it securely without going full width and extending it forward to the bulkhead at the bow which is 1in wood encapsulated in FG. That will give a decent leverage arm to resist the torque of the winch.

Local yard says they can connect me to a metal shop. Ill give em a CAD file with precise measurements.

Ill look at those links tomorow
Old 05-08-2021, 12:37   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Curious to know which model of Jeanneau is this yacht?

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 13:06   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression

Quote:

Oh and SVB dont actually take credit cards unless you have German CC, they just leave that part out on their website.... its a bait and switch. They email you offering "alternative payment options". Pity cos they have nice selection of products.

i pay in SVB.de by PayPal. -Paypal charge my credit card.
Also we repair windlass al. body by aluminium welding fill screw hool.put al. plate and welding and tap new bolt screw.
put picture your windlase
more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 16:11   #10

Boat: 2010 Jeanneau SO 44i

Which model? What year? My vessels stock windless is rock solid. (2010 SO 44i)
Kd9truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 17:41   #11

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

@ Green Heaven,

In the off chance you have not been using a snubber line to take load off the windlass, it is an option you might consider. I'm pretty sure a CF Custom Google search (under the Search button) will reveal many threads on the subject.

Ann
Old 05-08-2021, 19:22   #12

For the box, this is a great application for G10 board. Strong and stiff. No corrosion. Secure with a combination of bolts, epoxy and fiberglass tape. Laminate sheets together if you need more strength/thickness.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 19:34   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
@ Green Heaven,

In the off chance you have not been using a snubber line to take load off the windlass, it is an option you might consider. I'm pretty sure a CF Custom Google search (under the Search button) will reveal many threads on the subject.

Ann
Way to go Ann, beat me to it.

I rather like our below deck windlass-3500. Big metal and lots of structure though. Never anchor without a snubber. Sorry about upside down.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	93AB855E-9F35-4F93-8440-B49ABFAC50E6.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	427.6 KB
ID:	243331   Click image for larger version

Name:	962CA1A9-8781-4831-AF4C-BF44FA0D056B.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	441.5 KB
ID:	243332  

Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 12:20   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Curious to know which model of Jeanneau is this yacht?

Pete
Sun oddity CC

Seems I cant upload a pic directly to this site... its sometyhing like this

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
@ Green Heaven,

Ann

Yes, I have read all the threads on snubbers. I like the idea. I will add one once i have a windlass that actually works.
Its fairly obvious the previous owners let the windlass secure the chain and that probably how they bent the windlass shaft..... not a small feat!
Right now, I shackle a rope onto the chain and use a cleat to take the load cos the windlass is likely to dissapear over the bow with the utterly worthless FG box it is "secured" too.
On the subject of snubbers, I have yet to see anyone point out that the arc prescribed by the chain acts to buffer shock loads even without a snubber so its not like a bollard yank that you get in some marinas where the jetty is bouncing all over the place.

I have designed a frame of 2in angle iron that I will have made. It secures to the front bulkhead, the side of the hull and the cabin bulkhead. I will take a saw to whats left of the worthless Jeannau design to make room for it.
At some point I will have it remade in stainless perhaps.
What a nightmare
Old 07-08-2021, 13:56   #15
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
WOW! Thank you guys for those leads!!!

Yes shipping form the UK is a guaranteed nightmare right now.

As for the mounting plate, I think I have decided to make it out of metal and just cut out the FG box with wood base that Jeannau designed (to save money obviously) a few inches below the deck. Its just a terrible desgn.

I think I will go from side to side with a metal plate and attach it to the deck and hull at several points. It means drilling holes in the hull, but I just cant see a way to attach it securely without going full width and extending it forward to the bulkhead at the bow which is 1in wood encapsulated in FG. That will give a decent leverage arm to resist the torque of the winch.

Local yard says they can connect me to a metal shop. Ill give em a CAD file with precise measurements.

Ill look at those links tomorow

SVB take international visa and MasterCard , PayPal or else they have been sending me stuff for free

Tags
jeanneau, wind, windlass