Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-01-2021, 02:35   #1

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Oydssey 40.3
Jeanneau SO 40.3 anchor & chain upgrade

I bought the boat equipped with a 20kg Bruce anchor and 80m for 10mm chain.

After spending countless hours reading & watching YouTube videos I decided to go with a 25kg Rocna. Or Rocna Vulcan in case the regular Rocna does not fit?

I want to change the chain as well. But I'm not so sure what the best option would be? I think 80m of 10mm galvanised chain - and not from China - is what I need? But I've seen good arguments for using stainless steel as well. Or seen 8mm G70 mentioned here on the forum as well...

I will be sailing in the Med.
Elcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2021, 02:15   #2

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 39i Performance
Re: Jeanneau SO 40.3 anchor & chain upgrade

We have a SO 39i so fairly similar with your SO40.

We upgraded to a 25kg Rocna. According to the specs a 20Kg Rocna would do it but we opted for one version bigger.

Regarding chain, if you now have 10mm, I would stick to this. This because your Anchor Windlass won't take another size probably.
We have 70 meters G40 grade, which is 33% stronger than the standard G30 grade. If needed, I can add line when anchoring in really deep water and heavy winds.

G70 grade 8 mm will be sufficient form a strength point of view and will save you significant amount of weight at a place you don't want it. But it is costly, and as said, your gypsy/windlass probably needs to be adjusted.
Element123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2021, 02:37   #3

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

there is another thread going on at the moment regarding stainless steel chain. read that and you will see why the advice is "DONT USE STAINLESS STEEL CHAIN"

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...in-245160.html

personally i am a great fan of smaller size high grade gal chain. we recently switched fm 10mm G30 chain to 8mm G40 grade. negligible loss in strength for useful saving in weight. G70 seems overkill and may be hard to find...

don't have any experience with rocna anchors. we use a SARCA excel and love it, but there is actually very little between any of the newer super high holding anchors.

cheers,
Old 18-01-2021, 23:36   #4

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Oydssey 40.3

Thanks both!
Elcid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, jeanneau