Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-10-2013, 23:56   #106
cruiser

Boat: Lightwave, Catamaran, 11.5m (38')
Re: It's True! The Mantus 65-lb. hooks first time, everytime.

Thank you Greg,

Interesting post.

I do recall your telling me you were to introduce a shank that would cope with hard sand and also mud - I do not recall the ASTM 514, as being definite. The dual purpose shank did not materialise? Mention was made of the doubts on shank weakness in an American publication - this produced no qualification from you. The change is pretty significant, but merited no mention in any promotion? But I will check the correspondence. But the changes have been kept under tight wraps.

But I note you suggest that if people might want a strong shank they buy a Bruce or CQR , might you also suggest they buy a Rocna, Supreme - which have both a concave fluke and a shank with a strength double yours. In fact virtually any branded anchor has a shank stronger than yours. I wonder if its just me, why on earth do they all have such strong shanks?

But Greg - its not me you need convince, its the customer base.

Jonathan
Old 21-10-2013, 03:50   #107
CLOD

Boat: none

this seems like it is becoming a 1 person trashing mission
Old 21-10-2013, 04:55   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Probably better said as breaking a Chinese anchor is about as common as Chinese chain breaking.

Mark
Curious to know how this anchor broke? How the pieces were recovered?
Old 21-10-2013, 05:15   #109
cruiser

Delancey

You see many of these examples at anchor testing stations where as a company brings them in from China for certification on high holding power, I have no idea if this is relevant to that anchor but this is where a standrd roots out faulty anchors, a proof test will snap a poorly cast shank every time.

CEO of Anchor Right Australia.
Old 21-10-2013, 07:39   #110

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJo View Post
I have forgotten but where are these anchors made?

There is nothing wrong with product made in China - its the specification and quality control that are critical. I am not aware of Rocna's (under CMP) nor CMP chain failing - but correct me if I am wrong.

Jonathan
I meant "Chinese knock-off anchor" and "generic Chinese chain". Of course, products made in China for other companies to their specs are fine. iPhones wouldn't be so beloved and expensive otherwise.

But there are a lot of those anchors and a lot of generic chain out there in most chandleries.

BTW, I think that broken anchor is a Lewmar Claw - not exactly a generic knock-off.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 21-10-2013, 07:45   #111

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
Curious to know how this anchor broke? How the pieces were recovered?
That particular anchor fell 2' onto a concrete floor and the cast shank snapped. The person who was unloading these anchors reported that a disturbing number of them have broke over time in similar circumstances.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 21-10-2013, 08:33   #112
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Greg - no reason to get drunk. Someone is opinionated on CF. So what. You have this cruiser sold, and I am currently looking for a replacement to my CQR. To get the new shank what is the best place for retail? Do you sell off your website?
Old 21-10-2013, 10:13   #113
Sponsoring Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
this seems like it is becoming a 1 person trashing mission
Sailorboy1,

Just a quick comment about JonJo: I have read several of his anchor test reports, and based upon the thorough and unbiased nature of his articles, I would consider him to be a knowledgeable authority on pleasure craft anchors.

He puts all anchors (including ours) under careful and close scrutiny during his testing, so please don't think that Mantus is being unfairly treated.

He is equally tough on us all, and rightly so!

Safe boating,
Brian
Old 21-10-2013, 11:04   #114
Pusher of String

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Trisbal 42, Aluminum Cutter Rigged Sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortress View Post
Sailorboy1,

Just a quick comment about JonJo: I have read several of his anchor test reports, and based upon the thorough and unbiased nature of his articles, I would consider him to be a knowledgeable authority on pleasure craft anchors.

He puts all anchors (including ours) under careful and close scrutiny during his testing, so please don't think that Mantus is being unfairly treated.

Safe boating,
Brian
There is a difference between being tough and acting in a professional manner, for someone who is supposed to be a professional. I see more of one than the other.

One of the many beauties of this forum is that we attract boaters of all skill levels and also that we have the interest of professionals and companies from the industry who put themselves into the CF "shark tank" to stand up to questions and to offer help and advice.

If someone who is also supposed to be professional acts in a rude and combative manner towards a vendor it diminishes the value of the forum as other vendors see this behaviour and choose not to be involved in the forum.

By all means ask the hard questions - but do it with the decorum and professionalism expected of your profession.

"You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm."
Sidonie Gabrielle Colette
Old 21-10-2013, 12:56   #115

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

I see tough points.
Maybe I didn't notice "unprofessional".

Even with the shank as it is I am thinking a Mantus for the next boat.
Old 21-10-2013, 14:07   #116
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Therapy- he did come across to me as a little over the top critical, and I don't have a dog in the fight. Just want a good all around anchor. Probably pick one off Amazon.
Old 21-10-2013, 17:39   #117

Boat: 55' Romsdal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortress View Post
Sailorboy1,

Safe boating,
Brian
Of all anchor commentators, JonJo is probably the most unbiased source I know of. Certainly others have a lot of knowledge, but if they manufacture anchors you have to take that into consideration, although I have never known either Brian from Fortress or Rex from Anchorite to ever say anything that was either an exaggeration or untrue. However, JonJo is an independent tester, so I assume those criticizing him don't actually understand his approach, which is quite analytic.

Which highlights a legitimate question he has raised that I share. I really don't understand why, if the shank of the Mantus is made of the equivalent of Bisalloy 80 like the Manson or Excel, this isn't mentioned in the promo material for the Mantus? I don't have a reason to doubt the manufacturer, but I would prefer to see the steel spec called out on the Mantus website. Just don't understand why it isn't.

Perhaps it is because they are still selling mild steel shanks after making the decision to go with the metal used by competitors? Are the anchors shanked with mild steel cheaper, or if the same, why would someone want one?
Old 21-10-2013, 19:40   #118
Greg Kutsen

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ericson 38-200, 38 feet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post

Which highlights a legitimate question he has raised that I share. I really don't understand why, if the shank of the Mantus is made of the equivalent of Bisalloy 80 like the Manson or Excel, this isn't mentioned in the promo material for the Mantus? I don't have a reason to doubt the manufacturer, but I would prefer to see the steel spec called out on the Mantus website. Just don't understand why it isn't.
Ok let me make this perfectly CLEAR
There this is no conspiracy!!!!
We clearly stated that our shanks are made of Mild Steel.. on our website, that information was there from the beginning.

Currently,we are in the process of changing our shank material - manufacturing must be completed and inspections passed before anything can be sold or even advertised - probably not until next month.

We continuously looks at ways to improve, innovate & meet market demands.

We could not possibly advertise that we have new material for our shanks, since we do not, we have mild steel shanks and when the new material is available our website will be updated appropriately.

We have always been very transparent with Jonathan, forum members and any potential customer. There has NEVER been any misinformation, and we are always are available to answer questions by phone, email or in this forum. In fact we have disclosed information here about the material transition that we have not even gone public with yet AND offered to replace any older version for people with concerns.
Old 21-10-2013, 19:58   #119

Boat: PETERSON 44
The customer who asked what his shank was made of should have had a real answer. I appreciate your work but obviously you have not changed production and the shank material of all mantus anchors is not in question. You just acknowledged that no change has been made. That's not transparent. Did I miss something?
Just saying you have our standard shank and we may upgrade later would have been honest/ transparent approach. Pm me and I will explain is a dodge .
Old 21-10-2013, 20:13   #120
Greg Kutsen

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ericson 38-200, 38 feet

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
The customer who asked what his shank was made of should have had a real answer. I appreciate your work but obviously you have not changed production and the shank material of all mantus anchors is not in question. You just acknowledged that no change has been made. That's not transparent. Did I miss something?
Just saying you have our standard shank and we may upgrade later would have been honest/ transparent approach. Pm me and I will explain is a dodge .
I did answer his question... in a pm bc it was a personal question..
Do you have a question I can help answer?
Geg
Closed Thread

Tags
Mantus