Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-08-2013, 13:04   #16

Boat: corbin39
Re: It's True! The Mantus 65-lb. hooks first time, everytime.

Are you sure its made in usa this is from one of mantus post
Abv3 the anchor is manufactured in China.
Old 28-08-2013, 13:22   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
Seriously?

Sounds like someone needs to spend more time out on the water. In the real world of sailing, the only people who get this excited about their anchors are the folks trying to sell them.
My resident octopus disagrees with you
Anchors are important.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	414.6 KB
ID:	66136  
Old 28-08-2013, 13:28   #18
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by windswepttom View Post
I picked Mantus in the spring of 2013 after spending many hours investigating numerous types of anchors for my sailboat.
I have an Endeavor 42, weighing in at 15 tons and I use 5/16" chain. My previous anchors were a 45-lb. Super Max for the primary and a 45-lb. CQR for the secondary.
I've had a fair amount of experience anchoring while cruising around the Great Circle 2 & 1/2 times and 3 winters in the Bahamas anchoring out 98% of the time. Hard bottoms swept by tidal currents and grassy bottoms such as in the northern Florida Keys or in the Bahamas were my two main anchoring problems.
When I bought my Mantus I immediately painted it blue to impede theft. We call it "Big Blue". We were anxious to try it out in local anchorages where we've had problems anchoring. The first place was a hard bottom with tidal currents. "Big Blue" hooked immediately. However, I found a problem with my old anchoring technique, whereas I'm on the bow of the boat and my wife backs down on the anchor while I let out the chain and then lock the chain down. Well, "Big Blue" set so hard the bow of the boat dipped about a foot; I thought it was going to rip the bow roller off.
CAUTION! Do not back down hard on the Mantus when setting the anchor.
Next, we tried anchoring in hard sand. "Big Blue" dug in right away and held during a thunderstorm with 40-knot winds, the boat turned 180 degrees and "Big Blue" held.
For our next test, we cruised to the northern keys and anchored in grass. Again, another successful hook and held during a thunderstorm which blew from the opposite direction.
We continued to anchor in a number of places in the keys in grass and "Big Blue" hooked the first time and held in every situation. In Key West, Man-O-War harbor we anchored north of the Coast Guard Station. Tropical Storm Andrea was coming and we survived one thunderstorm after another with strong tides. Success again. Not all boats held their anchorage. This is a place that provides entertainment watching other boats trying to anchor. A few years back we were anchored here, a strong thunderstorm came through and put eight anchored boats on the shoreline.
I thought the Mantus would be hard to haul up, but not the case. I just haul up the chain until I’m over the anchor, sit there for 20-30 sec and it comes up most time without having to power down on it.
So I’m totally happy with my Mantus anchor and would recommend it to anyone.

Is this a very expensive, shiny (at least when first bought) anchor, claw-like?
Old 28-08-2013, 13:55   #19
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Baysailer View Post
Are you sure its made in usa this is from one of mantus post
Abv3 the anchor is manufactured in China.

My bad & I am very sorry for the misinformation on the Mantus being made in the USA.

The original anchors were made in the US but they could not be price competitive making them here so Greg is now having them made in China... My Mantus anchor was a very early production one, hence my recollection they were US made...

Again, sorry for the misleading and incorrect info on where Mantus anchors are manufactured...
Old 28-08-2013, 14:09   #20
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by evm1024 View Post
How close to fitting is the Mantus? Or rather does the Mantus fit more like the Rocna or more like the supreme?

I had a Rocna at the beginning of the debacle only to find out that it was a 420 Mpa steel Chinese version that I returned an replaced with a supreme. The Rocna did fit our roller much better than the Supreme.

Thanks!
It is pretty close but on our boat the Rocna fits a tad better.
Old 29-08-2013, 07:07   #21

OK, I stand corrected, I thought I read someplace it was made in the USA and I didn’t see any place on anchor “Made in China”, so I made an “assumption”, (yes I know what it make me). So I called Mantus and they confirmed it is made in China. Sorry!
It does take up more space on the bow with the roll bar then say a CQR. The roll bar can be removed, but I’ve not anchored with it that way.
Old 29-08-2013, 07:17   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Since the Mantus roll bar can be easily removed, I would be very interested if someone would test it with and without the roll bar to see if there is any noticeable difference. That's been a long running debate about the supreme and rocna.
Old 24-09-2013, 07:48   #23

Boat: Bristol 41.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
It is pretty close but on our boat the Rocna fits a tad better.
In searching for a replacement for our trusty (mostly) CQR, I looked first at the Mantus. Unfortunately, the designed sweep of the shank prevented a proper storage in the bow anchor roller of my boat.

The comparable Rocna however fit in a very similar fashion as the CQR and ended up the final choice. 150 or more nights on the hook last winter has left me quite impressed. Mine is the latest version, manufactured after the change in ownership of the brand.

Another testimony to the improved performance of the latest range of anchors.
Old 03-10-2013, 17:51   #24
Greg Kutsen

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ericson 38-200, 38 feet

Guys drop by our booth in Annapolis Boat Show if you are in the area!
Booth D 26
Tell us you a cruisers forum member and we will give you gift
Greg
Old 03-10-2013, 17:56   #25
Greg Kutsen

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by estarzinger View Post
Since the Mantus roll bar can be easily removed, I would be very interested if someone would test it with and without the roll bar to see if there is any noticeable difference. That's been a long running debate about the supreme and rocna.
The anchor actually sets deeper without the roll bar.... we will make videos to show that shortly....

but here is one showing that it lands right every time.....

Old 03-10-2013, 18:06   #26
Greg Kutsen

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Windswepttom thank you for the nice review....
Greg
Old 03-10-2013, 18:26   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantus Anchors View Post
Windswepttom thank you for the nice review....
Greg
Will mantus have a booth at the upcoming annapolis bost show ?
Old 03-10-2013, 19:09   #28

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by motion30 View Post
Will mantus have a booth at the upcoming annapolis bost show ?
mentioned in post 24 above. They'll be there.
Old 10-10-2013, 15:41   #29

Boat: Boston Whaler, 35ft Henrique Trawler

Quote:
I picked Mantus in the spring of 2013 after spending many hours investigating numerous types of anchors for my sailboat.
I have an Endeavor 42, weighing in at 15 tons and I use 5/16" chain. My previous anchors were a 45-lb. Super Max for the primary and a 45-lb. CQR for the secondary.
I've had a fair amount of experience anchoring while cruising around the Great Circle 2 & 1/2 times and 3 winters in the Bahamas anchoring out 98% of the time. Hard bottoms swept by tidal currents and grassy bottoms such as in the northern Florida Keys or in the Bahamas were my two main anchoring problems.
When I bought my Mantus I immediately painted it blue to impede theft. We call it "Big Blue". We were anxious to try it out in local anchorages where we've had problems anchoring. The first place was a hard bottom with tidal currents. "Big Blue" hooked immediately. However, I found a problem with my old anchoring technique, whereas I'm on the bow of the boat and my wife backs down on the anchor while I let out the chain and then lock the chain down. Well, "Big Blue" set so hard the bow of the boat dipped about a foot; I thought it was going to rip the bow roller off.
CAUTION! Do not back down hard on the Mantus when setting the anchor.
Next, we tried anchoring in hard sand. "Big Blue" dug in right away and held during a thunderstorm with 40-knot winds, the boat turned 180 degrees and "Big Blue" held.
For our next test, we cruised to the northern keys and anchored in grass. Again, another successful hook and held during a thunderstorm which blew from the opposite direction.
We continued to anchor in a number of places in the keys in grass and "Big Blue" hooked the first time and held in every situation. In Key West, Man-O-War harbor we anchored north of the Coast Guard Station. Tropical Storm Andrea was coming and we survived one thunderstorm after another with strong tides. Success again. Not all boats held their anchorage. This is a place that provides entertainment watching other boats trying to anchor. A few years back we were anchored here, a strong thunderstorm came through and put eight anchored boats on the shoreline.
I thought the Mantus would be hard to haul up, but not the case. I just haul up the chain until I’m over the anchor, sit there for 20-30 sec and it comes up most time without having to power down on it.
So I’m totally happy with my Mantus anchor and would recommend it to anyone.
Thanks for sharing... I have a 35ft trawler and recently started to look for a second (primary) anchor for some liveaboard adventures in the Exuma's this winter. Did you buy online? preferred marina you would suggest? Cheers
Old 10-10-2013, 17:47   #30

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
. OK, So I’m not big on posting to any forum, I don’t have a facebook account and I don’t Email anymore then I have to unless my wife tells me HAVE to reply to an Email, but I do use Skype with a day-trading buddy every day when I’m not out sailing. I had a small software consulting company (25-30 programmers) and worked 12-14 hours a day, 7 days a week, and I just got burned out Emailing and posting on the computer, retired and went sailing and didn’t Email for 3 years. So if that makes me not “trustworthy” or “fishy”, or “lacks credibility” or a “shill”, so be it, I would rather be sailing then posting and name calling on a forum.
My 65-lb Mantus anchor is twice as thick for the first 5-6 inches of the tip, maybe it is for reinforcement, but I call it weighted.
OK, I’ll grant you that the Mantus will not hook and hold 100% of the time. But for me, it has so far, and it’s far superior to my past anchors. I still get up and sit in the cockpit in a storm.
Another of my heros.
You broke out of the race and got away. Good for you.
I'm still here - stuck. (for several reasons)
I have had the same experience in W Florida with all the grass balls. I was getting blown ashore across a shallowing grass flat and my Rocna just filled up, twice. I tossed my storm Danforth. I don't know what size it is but the shank was about four feet. The size of the grass ball on that was farking huge. I could not lift it. I had to just cleat it off dragging in the water and was just able to motor away into the storm before grounding.

Thanks for your opinion.

I am curious how you decided to not get one without a roll bar. Spade I think. My Rocna roll bar was (I thingk) a factor in how big the ball of grass/mud was.

Tags
Mantus