Cruisers Forum
 


Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-10-2013, 05:02   #181
Registered User
 
Cotemar's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37
Posts: 5,731
Re: It's True! The Mantus 65-lb. hooks first time, everytime.

I always anchor with no issues, but after reading this thread I think we should all just start taking moorings.

I am sure that JonJo will come back and tell us how much moorings suck also.

When cruisers shop for an anchor they want the best earth nail possible. They never see Bis 80 or Q420 steel in the little tag on the anchor at the store.

If the .000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001% of cruisers bends a shank they just return it and get a new anchor or in Mantus case a new easily replaced bolt on shank. We have pictures of every anchor ever made with a bent shank. Even if a shank was made of unbendtonium, there will be a cruiser that will find a way to bend it.

Doesn’t anyone here go sailing anymore?
Cotemar is offline  
Old 23-10-2013, 05:05   #182
Marine Service Provider
 
Factor's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Brisbane Australia
Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Posts: 4,667
Re: It's True! The Mantus 65-lb. hooks first time, everytime.

I do - lots. Just back from a few days away. As for moorings, they do suck - well sort of, I would rather anchor with my known anchor gear that pick up a mooring with an unknown questionable history.

I am not sure why my two questions are that hard.

Quote:
We have pictures of every anchor ever made with a bent shank
Sure about that?
Factor is offline  
Old 23-10-2013, 06:17   #183
Moderator
 
noelex 77's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2007
Boat: Bestevaer.
Posts: 12,571
Re: It's True! The Mantus 65-lb. hooks first time, everytime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJo View Post

A question - would you change your Bis 80 Shanked Rocna for one made from the Q420 steel - it would be stronger than the current Mantus and still have the 'enviable' Rocna holding capacity?
Jonathan
My Rocna has been re-galvanised so the shank has lost some of its hi tensile properties already.
Knowing the primitive galvanisers around here, I may have already done what you ask.

To answer your question: no, there is no advantage in keeping the shank the same and changing from 800 Mpa to 420 MPa steel (other than perhaps better galvanising), but a Rocna with a shank that was less deep, and therefore lighter like the Mantus, or lighter, thinner and less deep like the Manson Boss would set better and this is, potentially, an attractive proposition. I think I am far more likely to get in trouble dragging the anchor than bending it.
noelex 77 is online now  
Old 23-10-2013, 06:31   #184
Marine Service Provider
 
Maine Sail's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Maine
Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy
Posts: 3,131
Re: It's True! The Mantus 65-lb. hooks first time, everytime.

It happens to the best of them and I am sure Brian shipped out the parts to fix this "bending" incident just as Greg would do..


Image courtesy of El Vagabond





What if you had a:

CQR = Not covered / (Specifically excludes bending)



Delta Fast Set = Not Covered / (Specifically excludes bending)



Lewmar Claw = Not Covered / (Specifically excludes bending)


Spade = Not Covered / (breakage only)




Manson Supreme = ???? / ("Lifetime Warranty when used under normal conditions") Who defines "normal conditions"?



Danforth = Not Covered / "Danforth Anchors are warranted to be free from manufacturing and material defects for the life of the product. This warranty applies for the lifetime of the product under normal use and service."




Ultra Anchor = Not Covered / ("Covered against manufacturing defects under normal conditions and use.")

Sarca = No warranty information on the web site..?


The only anchors I know of currently, that cover bending, are the Rocna, Mantus and Fortress. Fortress has always done this. Rocna, IMHO, was forced into it and Greg decided to position his anchor this way too, from the start.

Perhaps someone can fill in the holes for Sarca and Manson on warranty their sites are tough to navigate and find warranty info on......?

Course there are so many other factors to consider, like this guy, who almost lost his boat to a small rock jammed between the fluke and shank of his anchor.


Or this anchor roller that failed and nearly put this boat on the beach due to chafe...


Or like this guy who assembled his Spade anchor backwards.
__________________
Marine How To Articles
Maine Sail is offline  
Old 23-10-2013, 06:40   #185
Moderator
 
noelex 77's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2007
Boat: Bestevaer.
Posts: 12,571
Re: It's True! The Mantus 65-lb. hooks first time, everytime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
Perhaps someone can fill in the holes for Sarca and Manson on warranty their sites are tough to navigate and find warranty info on......?
The information can be tough to find.
Manson are now quite specific on their website.

All Supreme anchors are "guaranteed for life against breakage".
**Damage by deformation or bending is not covered by this guarantee.


Anchor Right (Sarca and Excel) have promised on the forum to replace any bent anchors no matter what the cause.(but nothing on the website)
noelex 77 is online now  
Old 23-10-2013, 07:01   #186
Registered User
 
Delancey's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Spain
Boat: Sunk by Irma
Posts: 3,569
Re: It's True! The Mantus 65-lb. hooks first time, everytime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
It happens to the best of them and I am sure Brian shipped out the parts to fix this "bending" incident just as Greg would do..


Image courtesy of El Vagabond





What if you had a:

CQR = Not covered / (Specifically excludes bending)



Delta Fast Set = Not Covered / (Specifically excludes bending)



Lewmar Claw = Not Covered / (Specifically excludes bending)


Spade = Not Covered / (breakage only)




Manson Supreme = ???? / ("Lifetime Warranty when used under normal conditions") Who defines "normal conditions"?



Danforth = Not Covered / "Danforth Anchors are warranted to be free from manufacturing and material defects for the life of the product. This warranty applies for the lifetime of the product under normal use and service."




Ultra Anchor = Not Covered / ("Covered against manufacturing defects under normal conditions and use.")

Sarca = No warranty information on the web site..?


The only anchors I know of currently, that cover bending, are the Rocna, Mantus and Fortress. Fortress has always done this. Rocna, IMHO, was forced into it and Greg decided to position his anchor this way too, from the start.

Perhaps someone can fill in the holes for Sarca and Manson on warranty their sites are tough to navigate and find warranty info on......?

Course there are so many other factors to consider, like this guy, who almost lost his boat to a small rock jammed between the fluke and shank of his anchor.


Or this anchor roller that failed and nearly put this boat on the beach due to chafe...


Or like this guy who assembled his Spade anchor backwards.
Thank you, thank you, thank you.
Delancey is offline  
Old 23-10-2013, 07:19   #187
Registered User
 
Delfin's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Anacortes, WA
Boat: 55' Romsdal
Posts: 2,098
Re: It's True! The Mantus 65-lb. hooks first time, everytime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post

Ultra Anchor = Not Covered / ("Covered against manufacturing defects under normal conditions and use.")

Sarca = No warranty information on the web site..?


The only anchors I know of currently, that cover bending, are the Rocna, Mantus and Fortress. Fortress has always done this. Rocna, IMHO, was forced into it and Greg decided to position his anchor this way too, from the start.
Great collection of images, thank you. One question though, and that is after looking at all the pictures of bent shanks, should I conclude that the strength of the shaft is unimportant since all anchors bend, or should I conclude it is important because all anchors can bend?

Incidentally, your information on the Ultra is incorrect. They have a "Lifetime warranty – guaranteed to never bend, break, crack, or rust"
Ultra Anchors | Stainless Steel Anchors | Quickline USA
__________________
https://delfin.talkspot.com
I can picture in my head a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it. - Jack Handey
Delfin is offline  
Old 23-10-2013, 07:27   #188
Registered User
 
avb3's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Florida/Alberta
Boat: Lippincott 30
Posts: 9,905
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post
Great collection of images, thank you. One question though, and that is after looking at all the pictures of bent shanks, should I conclude that the strength of the shaft is unimportant since all anchors bend, or should I conclude it is important because all anchors can bend?

Incidentally, your information on the Ultra is incorrect. They have a "Lifetime warranty – guaranteed to never bend, break, crack, or rust"
Ultra Anchors | Stainless Steel Anchors | Quickline USA
That appears to be a sale site for various products, with ultra anchors being the only anchor product. Going to the Ultra anchors website itself, all they say is a lifetime warranty for normal use.

I wonder if that is a warranty the sale site gives or it is the correct interpretation of what Ultra actually says?

Verbatim:

Sourcing Europe’s finest materials and fabricated by specialist engineers, the Ultra Anchor is supplied with a LIFETIME WARRANTY against manufacturing defects under normal conditions and use
__________________
If your attitude resembles the south end of a bull heading north, it's time to turn around.
avb3 is offline  
Old 23-10-2013, 07:32   #189
Marine Service Provider
 
Maine Sail's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Maine
Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy
Posts: 3,131
Re: It's True! The Mantus 65-lb. hooks first time, everytime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post

Incidentally, your information on the Ultra is incorrect. They have a "Lifetime warranty – guaranteed to never bend, break, crack, or rust"
Ultra Anchors | Stainless Steel Anchors | Quickline USA
This is what I found on the "Ultra Marine Products" web site:

"Sourcing Europe’s finest materials and fabricated by specialist engineers, the Ultra Anchor is supplied with a LIFETIME WARRANTY against manufacturing defects under normal conditions and use."


Ultra Marine Products

Left column 2/3 of the way down the first page... Perhaps they have changed it to be more competitive?
__________________
Marine How To Articles
Maine Sail is offline  
Old 23-10-2013, 07:33   #190
Moderator
 
noelex 77's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2007
Boat: Bestevaer.
Posts: 12,571
Re: It's True! The Mantus 65-lb. hooks first time, everytime.

I sent Ultra an email about this a week or so ago.
I received a reply asking to confirm my address etc, but nothing since which sounds suspiciously like a "no they are not covered" to me, but I will try the contact details on the link.
noelex 77 is online now  
Old 23-10-2013, 07:38   #191
Registered User
 
Delfin's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Anacortes, WA
Boat: 55' Romsdal
Posts: 2,098
Re: It's True! The Mantus 65-lb. hooks first time, everytime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
That appears to be a sale site for various products, with ultra anchors being the only anchor product. Going to the Ultra anchors website itself, all they say is a lifetime warranty for normal use.

I wonder if that is a warranty the sale site gives or it is the correct interpretation of what Ultra actually says?

Verbatim:

Sourcing Europe’s finest materials and fabricated by specialist engineers, the Ultra Anchor is supplied with a LIFETIME WARRANTY against manufacturing defects under normal conditions and use
The link I provided is to the US Ultra anchor site. I don't know what the warranty would be if I purchased one in Turkey.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ultra.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	222.8 KB
ID:	69186  
__________________
https://delfin.talkspot.com
I can picture in my head a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it. - Jack Handey
Delfin is offline  
Old 23-10-2013, 08:05   #192
Registered User
 
Delfin's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Anacortes, WA
Boat: 55' Romsdal
Posts: 2,098
Re: It's True! The Mantus 65-lb. hooks first time, everytime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
This is what I found on the "Ultra Marine Products" web site:

"Sourcing Europe’s finest materials and fabricated by specialist engineers, the Ultra Anchor is supplied with a LIFETIME WARRANTY against manufacturing defects under normal conditions and use."


Ultra Marine Products

Left column 2/3 of the way down the first page... Perhaps they have changed it to be more competitive?
No, you are looking at the European site, not the US site. US law covers a warranty issued under US law, so your reference is useless for those buying their Ultra from Quickline, who is who issues the warranty I have.

Not to pick nits, but Mantus' warranty is against 'damage and defects.' I am no expert, but I believe that when a warranty is issued without conditions, it is issued with a presumption of normal use because it lacks the term 'unconditional'. Mantus would no doubt warrant a product that was bent, but I think they do have a defense against that claim if they assert their product was abused, say, by running over it with an Abrams tank. That's why many other manufacturers stipulate 'normal use' as a condition, and why Ultra's specific statements that their anchor will not bend, rust, break, etc. is somewhat reassuring.
__________________
https://delfin.talkspot.com
I can picture in my head a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it. - Jack Handey
Delfin is offline  
Old 23-10-2013, 08:39   #193
Registered User
 
avb3's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Florida/Alberta
Boat: Lippincott 30
Posts: 9,905
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
I sent Ultra an email about this a week or so ago.
I received a reply asking to confirm my address etc, but nothing since which sounds suspiciously like a "no they are not covered" to me, but I will try the contact details on the link.
Seeing there is some disparity between the official Ultra site, and what appears to be the US sales site, it would be interesting to see if they ever respond to your request.

Clarity is a good thing, as we have already found out on this thread.
__________________
If your attitude resembles the south end of a bull heading north, it's time to turn around.
avb3 is offline  
Old 23-10-2013, 08:43   #194
Sponsoring Vendor

Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 413
Re: It's True! The Mantus 65-lb. hooks first time, everytime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post
Not to pick nits, but Mantus' warranty is against 'damage and defects.' I am no expert, but I believe that when a warranty is issued without conditions, it is issued with a presumption of normal use because it lacks the term 'unconditional'. Mantus would no doubt warrant a product that was bent, but I think they do have a defense against that claim if they assert their product was abused, say, by running over it with an Abrams tank. That's why many other manufacturers stipulate 'normal use' as a condition, and why Ultra's specific statements that their anchor will not bend, rust, break, etc. is somewhat reassuring.
That is a very strong point. We do not stipulate "normal use" or "unconditional" and so if a customer calls in and he has mangled his anchor by running his boat into a concrete piling (happened just recently), then we are obligated to replace his damaged anchor parts for free under our "Lifetime Parts Replacement Warranty."
Fortress is offline  
Old 23-10-2013, 08:54   #195
Greg Kutsen
 
Mantus Anchors's Avatar

Community Sponsor

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Seabrook, TX
Boat: Ericson 38-200, 38 feet
Posts: 236
Re: It's True! The Mantus 65-lb. hooks first time, everytime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post
No, you are looking at the European site, not the US site. US law covers a warranty issued under US law, so your reference is useless for those buying their Ultra from Quickline, who is who issues the warranty I have.

Not to pick nits, but Mantus' warranty is against 'damage and defects.' I am no expert, but I believe that when a warranty is issued without conditions, it is issued with a presumption of normal use because it lacks the term 'unconditional'. Mantus would no doubt warrant a product that was bent, but I think they do have a defense against that claim if they assert their product was abused, say, by running over it with an Abrams tank. That's why many other manufacturers stipulate 'normal use' as a condition, and why Ultra's specific statements that their anchor will not bend, rust, break, etc. is somewhat reassuring.
Delfin, remember I am an ALTRUIST
So even if the Abrams tank did the damage, or your boat ran into the dock...
The only exception could be covering unreasonable claims on galvanization...
Eventually anchors need to be re-galvanized and that is not covered. We will review this on case by case basis... Don't get hung up on this one, our aim is to please...
Greg
__________________
MANTUS ANCHORS
to keep up with our latest happenings "Like" us on facebook at MantusAnchors
& see all our videos at our You Tube channel Mantus Anchors
Mantus Anchors is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
Mantus

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:22.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.