Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-05-2010, 16:49   #1

Islander 29 - Ground Tackle Recommendations

Hello,

Just bought an Islander 29, listed displacement 7800, that needs new primary ground tackle. The 35# Bruce is still in great shape, but the rode is shot. The boat will spend quite a bit of time at anchor, some of it unattended and some of it with us sleeping, hopefully safe and sound. We're in the Santa Barbara, CA area, will be anchoring off the coast here and the Channel Islands. Weather can get iffy quickly, with the wind shifting and blowing 40+ some afternoons.

My proposed setup:

35# Manson supreme or Rocna

75' 5/16 or 1/4HT

225' 1/2" 3 strand

Thoughts? Should I keep the Bruce? Prior owner was an experienced cruiser and did well with the Bruce, and it would be nice to have the money for other projects (see coming flood of other posts).
dissent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2010, 18:54   #2
Marine Service Provider

If by HT you mean high test and not high tensile, consider instead high tensile G70 chain from the likes of Peerless. This would allow you to go to say 1/4" for stronger chain than 5/16" while being 30% lighter. See www.rocna.com/kb/Chain
This would require a compatible gypsy but since you mention two sizes I assume that's no issue.

Also, I would strongly advise again 3 strand nylon - square or 8 plait makes far superior anchor line. Take a look at www.rocna.com/kb/Rope

Don't forget to replace shackles with quality high load tested replacements if you're not 100% sure the existing ones are already good.

My thoughts on the anchor go without saying. If your Bruce is genuine and in decent condition it's probably worth a bit on the 2nd hand market, I would sell it to someone silly and invest in something better.
craigsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2010, 19:05   #3

Boat: CS 36t
I would say that you are on the right track with your plan.

The 33lb Rocna or 35lb manson would certainly be large enough for your boat even with the relatively severe weather it sounds like you get. Having multiple anchors is always a good idea so maybe the Bruce could become your second anchor? The new generation anchors truly are a lot better and will make you feel much more at ease.

Do you have a windlass? If not, 75' of chain will be a real chore. If you don't need the chain for abrasion resistance, you might think of going to something like 50' or even 40'. In addition, the chain will be adding a lot of weight to the bow of your boat which you want to avoid as much as possible. I would go with 5/16HT, the rest of your system will be capable of exceeding the working load limit of 5/16" BBB chain pretty easily. The shackle is important as well and something like a load rated 3/8" Crosby would be wise.

The line is definitely on the light side. It is by far the most prone to chafe of any part of your system so it needs to be a bit oversized. If it were me, I would be using 5/8". 3 strand is fine although many people now prefer the fancier rodes such as anchorplait or 8 plait. They do stow better and are easier to handle but they are more expensive. A piece of tubular webbing to use as chafe gear would be good as well.

For comparison, on my 30' 10000lb boat, I use a Rocna 15 (33lb), 30' of 3/8" chain (not ideal but I had it lying around) and 250' of 5/8" 3 strand. While my boat is slightly heavier, it sits extremely well to an anchor so doesn't shock load the system very much.
klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 08:40   #4

Thanks for the replies.

Quote:
Do you have a windlass? If not, 75' of chain will be a real chore.
There is a windlass on the boat but I haven't really touched it yet, so I need to see what chain size it supports.

Quote:
Having multiple anchors is always a good idea so maybe the Bruce could become your second anchor? The new generation anchors truly are a lot better and will make you feel much more at ease.
There are a couple smaller Danforths on board, will have to measure them and see if one is big enough to be a backup to the primary setup. Unless I really can get some coin for the Bruce, though, I'll probably keep it as a spare.

Quote:
Don't forget to replace shackles with quality high load tested replacements if you're not 100% sure the existing ones are already good.
Good point you both brought up about the shackles. Big, new ones will be included for sure.

Quote:
Also, I would strongly advise again 3 strand nylon - square or 8 plait makes far superior anchor line.
Interesting point Craig, will have to look into these options.
Old 05-06-2010, 10:21   #5

A couple of years ago I replaced my anchor and rode and debated between the 3 strand and 8 plait option. The 8 had a better strength rating and less stretch than the 3 strand plus it flaked easier which is a big plus, however I went with the 3 strand because it apparently has better chafe resistance. That to me was the most important aspect and outweighted the other advantages of 8 plait.
lancelot9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 18:17   #6

Boat: a sailing boat
Ifthe Bruce is good, keep it. Get 3/8 (or 5/16 G4) chain and you are done. Arghh - yes - some snubber to. Nylon.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 16:55   #7

So, the windlass is a nice old Simpson-Lawrence Anchorman, the gypsy stamped RC160. Spec sheet I have (dated Jan 1987) says it can take 5/16 PC, or 3/8 BBB, PC and HT. Oddly enough, there's a local craigslist ad for someone selling 100' of almost new 3/8 HT chain, so I guess I'll look at that.
Old 13-06-2010, 12:06   #8

Boat: B24
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancelot9898 View Post
I went with the 3 strand because it apparently has better chafe resistance. That to me was the most important aspect and outweighted the other advantages of 8 plait.
I’ve been quite content with 3-strand in forty something years of on again off again anchoring, and at least in anchor and dock lines have always looked for good elasticity as a serious plus… I think the nominal relative cost of 3-strand allows for early replacements, but it must be sized accordingly… If I ever have to anchor in truly abrasive areas, then something metallic is the only way to go, but many years ago I had my nearly 15-ton ketch hanging off a 5/8ths 3-strand with something like 50ft of chain on a 35# CQR and in 18-20 kts of wind I was surprised to see the chain was still laying on the bottom (we were snorkeling… okay, I was younger then).