Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-07-2013, 22:04   #16
ato

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 46 2007
Send a message via Skype™ to ato
Re: Is Your Anchor Set?

i got a manson supreme, 35 lbs for my 37 ft boat. whenever possible i dive down to check how it set, what is around the anchor that could snag chain or rode, etc.
many times i saw that the chain had not laid itself in a straight line, but in some kind of S shape. so i know to expect some straigthening of the chain when it blows.
ato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 22:16   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyspc View Post
One time finding shackle loose was enough to get me swimming on a regular basis!
Even if i cant see i pull myself down the line and feel it every week our two when anchored long term.
Recently I've seen ground tackle part (nylon rubbing on rocks) but before that the only ground tackle failures I've seen are from shackle pins. I use two zip ties and two different wraps with two lengths of mousing wire. I never screw around with those pins.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 22:45   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
First time anchoring, he pushed a button from the helm to lower the anchor and went by the seller's listing sheet on yachtworld regarding the amount of chain in the locker. A mistake he'll never make again, no harm done... fun story.
First time or not, a coffee can plug full of rocks or not, do your friend a favor and strongly request he 'walk off' the length of rode he actually has. Newbie or old salt, take note of your rode. Too much at stake to be so cavalier as to believe what someone else believes about your ground tackle.

If this be a "fun story" it is only because he was inside a benign SoCal harbor at the time.

rant/ Do these people actually exist?
/rant
Richard5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 23:36   #19
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpride View Post
In our experience never have a problem with the CQR, i dont consider the CQR as a fast setting anchor,he need some care to set it properly ,.
Why would anyone want an anchor that needs human intervention to get it to do it's job when half the time resetting you won't be there or will be asleep?
When I switched to a new Gen the difference was remarkable, life just got so much easier
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 23:44   #20

Boat: Hans Christian 41
Hey ken,

How about the anchor set on those 20ft motor boats in Mahon? Talk about using the wife to kedge off the shore!

Noelex 77- I have the ultra anchor too and have lived on board with it for over a year now, no problems, sets first time like most anchors, in difficult areas you just need to be smart about how you ease the beast into the seabed , ie, coax it in gently, do not rush backwards expecting a set at some point.

For what its worth i used to have a delta anchor, the ultra aces that in every possible way, i dive on the anchor too, usually it is well dug in.

If in doubt and in muddy water, get more chain out, its no use sitting in the locker!

Charlie.
Sulaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 00:17   #21
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sulaire View Post
Hey ken,

How about the anchor set on those 20ft motor boats in Mahon? Talk about using the wife to kedge off the shore!

Charlie.
What were they using again that put them on the rocks? Was it an 6 pound Danforth, 18 inches of chain & kite string for a primary along with a 130 pound (nicely tanned) floating kedge?

After the two of us spent a couple of hours pulling them off the beach, I kept running into those guys in town over the next two days... they were very thankful. No Beer or wine offered... but many thanks.

How's Sardinia?

Ken
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:46   #22

Boat: Hans Christian 41
Hi ken

Sardinia is great.

Pm sent

Charlie.
Sulaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:15   #23

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
Why would anyone want an anchor that needs human intervention to get it to do it's job when half the time resetting you won't be there or will be asleep?
When I switched to a new Gen the difference was remarkable, life just got so much easier

Money is a good reason, btw i dont get this quote very well , when i swichetd to the new gene the difference is better???? and who say the contrary?? im swichting to....btw the Rockna need human divine intervention to , or do you have a new gen anchor able to jump by itself from the rollers to the bottom? 90% in my boat experience the anchor set by itself... with the manson probably i get that 100% ,,, and is good ...
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 01:32   #24
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpride View Post
..btw the Rockna need human divine intervention to , or do you have a new gen anchor able to jump by itself from the rollers to the bottom
Only the first time. Every wind shift and tide change after that it's on its own.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor