Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-07-2008, 05:31   #1
cruiser

Is this right?

This is a question of opinion. I don't know the correct answer, but I have a question about anchoring etiquette:

Say you are a:

local sailor and not cruising
who owns a house about 5 miles from the boat
and owns a $400K boat

Is it right to put your boat into the town anchorage for an entire season to save a few bucks?
Old 06-07-2008, 05:36   #2

Dont know how it works where you are?. Dont know what town anchorage means. Are you saying "anchor" as in not a mooring (swing) ?
Old 06-07-2008, 05:38   #3

Boat: Jeanneau 57
Why does someone's net worth play a role on where he/she should anchor?
Old 06-07-2008, 05:43   #4
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper View Post
Dont know how it works where you are?. Dont know what town anchorage means. Are you saying "anchor" as in not a mooring (swing) ?
Sorry I wasn't clear. You are correct.

There are "moorings" which are large weights that one gets by being a resident or by renting one for the season. These are permanent anchors set up through the town. There are also docks nearby (hundreds). All of the docks are for rent, not for sale. Some moorings are for rent, others are privately owned.

Nearby, there is one small area (very small in comparison to the sprawling mooring fields and docks) that is set aside as an anchorage.
Old 06-07-2008, 05:45   #5
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
Why does someone's net worth play a role on where he/she should anchor?
I'm not sure. That's why it's a question and/or observation rather than a statement.

Ethically, should you use the anchorage for the entire season if you have one of the most expensive boats in the entire geographical area when you aren't cruising and there are plenty of moorings and docks available?

We go through ethical questions such as this while deciding where to anchor and locate our boat as well.

I am just curious what people think.
Old 06-07-2008, 06:00   #6

Boat: De Kleer Fraser 30
A mooring field is public space. You have as much right to it as I do with my $30,000 boat. If it is legal to anchor there all season then why not? You will probably have to get in and out to the boat via your own dinghy, not a club launch or stepping off a dock. If you leave for a sail, someone else my take your place and the mooring field may be full when you return, so you are taking on the additional uncertainty by not paying for a mooring.

I'd say go for it!

Patrick
Old 06-07-2008, 13:09   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
What? I must be misunderstanding you, or otherwise I don't think I have ever read such a stupid question on this site.
Using the term "ethical" would mean you think the guy anchoring, instead of mooring, is morally wrong in doing so. Do you mean he is Morally wrong? or do you mean he is taking a risk by anchoring when he could have a more reliable connection to the seabed via a mooring??

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Old 06-07-2008, 13:22   #8
cruiser

Wow, Wheels. Thanks. Glad to have provided you with the "stupidest question you've ever read on this site."

I thought users were supposed to refrain from personal attacks.

I ask because I'm curious what other boats think. Is it right for someone who isn't on their boat often, is a local sailor (not cruising), and can easily afford proper docks and moorings to take up the anchorage with their $400K boat.

Keep in mind, nearly 95% of all available spots to put a boat are taken by moorings and docks where I am right now. The anchorage is a very small speck of area big enough for maybe 4 boats.

So is it right for someone to use that space (keeping other actively cruising boats from using it)? Is it right for them to keep the boat there all year, allowing only 3 other boats to use a very limited space when they can easily afford a dock or mooring?

My gut instinct says "no", but I'm not sure if everyone would think that. So... I asked a question to see if I was off.

Sorry.
Old 06-07-2008, 13:32   #9

Boat: Trismus 37
Thanks for the clarification sully, morality depends on where you are standing, there is so much stuff done in this world that is morally outrageous but legally "OK", some people have very thick skins. In the current financial climate he may only have a small equity in the boat and the Bank owns the rest.
Old 06-07-2008, 13:34   #10
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pope View Post
Thanks for the clarification sully, moralality depends on where you are standing, there is so much stuff done in this world that is morraly outrageous but legally "OK", some people have very thick skins. In the current financial climate he may only have a small equity in the boat and the Bank owns the rest.
Ahh... good point! I know that "small equity in the boat and bank owns the rest" pretty well.

Thanks for the input. I was genuinely curious.
Old 06-07-2008, 13:36   #11
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Wheeler View Post
I don't think I have ever read such a stupid question on this site.
Damn. I was going for that title

Back to the question, using an anchor as a permanent mooring when you could afford a more permanent arrangement does sound kinda short sighted. But morally wrong? Not really big on moral stuff , but I would say no. Maybe also a bit inconsiderate. But if he is local, then why not.

Of course just cos' someone has a big boat / car / house does not automatically mean they have the money that others may assume to go with it.
Old 06-07-2008, 14:12   #12

Boat: Designing a global explorer (full keel & steel)
Sully, in regards to your original questions, IMHO, if it's legal then don't worry about it mate

Quote:
I thought users were supposed to refrain from personal attacks.
Relax brother, this is just the net

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Damn. I was going for that title
I believe that you deserve one... & here it is

(click pic to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	davey_award_oscar.jpg
Views:	429
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	4218
Old 06-07-2008, 14:50   #13

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
I have a feeling Sullivan is bitching because someone with a more expensive boat than his is taking up a spot that he'd like to have. He should know the first rule of anchoring, which goes something like first come, first served, or boats anchored before yours have priority or rights over yours. If you're too close you move not the boat that anchored before you. If there's no room move on.
Old 06-07-2008, 15:04   #14

Boat: CAL 3-46
Send a message via AIM to Latitude9.5
Look at it this way, if he weren't there, there would prolly be some poor guy in a 22 foot boat asking "why is that guy in the flashy catamaran anchored in here, surely he has the cash to spring for a mooring"
Old 06-07-2008, 15:30   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssullivan View Post
This is a question of opinion. I don't know the correct answer, but I have a question about anchoring etiquette:

Say you are a:

local sailor and not cruising
who owns a house about 5 miles from the boat
and owns a $400K boat

Is it right to put your boat into the town anchorage for an entire season to save a few bucks?
So this guy leaves a $400k boat unattended at anchor for an entire season? I don't know what it's like there, but here your insurance would be worthless if anything happened.
Closed Thread