Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2008, 14:05   #61
cruiser

For you speculative types putting words in my mouth:

I haven't checked into this thread because of all the mean replies. Got sick of reading them. Looks like a lot of very insecure people who can't have philosophical conversation without taking it personally.

My original question was asked because while anchored in an anchorage in Maine, I was next to a $400K+ boat that is reportedly there for the season - and was there last season. Many of the other locals were miffed that their tiny anchorage (a local destination for day trips) was taken up by such a large boat.

They were especially angry that the large boat, that was essentially dumped there for the season (again), was owned by some rich guy who could easily afford to keep his boat on a proper mooring or dock. The guy apparently owns a ton of real estate locally too.

The guy was just taking advantage of the system, in the locals' opinion.

Furthermore, this is New England. Things are done properly here. This guy was out of line, and loaded with cash. This made people angry because he was taking up a public space when he could afford to have his own space, like every other boat does up here. Seems a little "Mr Burns"-ish to me.

Now, when I read all these horrible responses suggesting I'm on here looking for "support" for my own ethos and what not... suggesting I'm some kind of villain, I have to ask:

What is wrong with you people who posted like that on what was a philosophical question? I don't think I have ever just gone out and personally insulted any of you for asking a question. I guess I know now who's an *sshole and who isn't here.

Looking back again, Tao Jones understood it perfectly. It was a group of locals who were doing the complaining. This was *not* a permanent place I wanted to stay for the season. It was a spot I had stopped in briefly.

Lastly, many of you apparently don't understand New England. Things are done to a high degree of ethics and courtesy here. If some jack*ss from "away" comes along and takes advantage of our very open and forgiving ways (ie: no anchoring laws), they are dealt with, sometimes in very unpleasant ways. Ethics, morals and common courtesy rule up here. Break them, and you're in trouble - like this guy will probably be soon.

Another example of this is the dinghy dock. Every single engine is placed in the "down" position in order to be courteous to others. Place yours in the up position and what happens? You come back to a popped dinghy, a missing gas line, or some other thing.

Anger the locals enough and this guy will find his boat cut free or spray painted or something.

For those who were such jerks on this thread, please do come by here... lol You'd get dealt with pretty fast with egos like that. The locals would have your running for home! ha ha
Old 10-07-2008, 14:58   #62

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'
Hell, the guy probably pays a fair share of local taxes, so IMHO he deserves as much right as anybody else...
Old 10-07-2008, 14:58   #63
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
Furthermore, this is New England. Things are done properly here. This guy was out of line, and loaded with cash. This made people angry because he was taking up a public space when he could afford to have his own space, like every other boat does up here. Seems a little "Mr Burns"-ish to me.
He took advantage because he could and because it was offered as a free lunch. It's the way it's done everywhere and the ultimate problem with a free lunches. many rich people like free lunch as well as the next guy. New England isn't special. It's that way everywhere.

If he stays long enough the mooring will fail and the balance of things will return. Many people will be satisfied and he will be unhappy. Sometimes things work out eventually if not timely. Moorings really need annual service. Perhaps more in some circumstances. Patience will prevail. I believe that really is a New England tradition.
Old 10-07-2008, 15:11   #64

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'
Another example of this is the dinghy dock. Every single engine is placed in the "down" position in order to be courteous to others. Place yours in the up position and what happens? You come back to a popped dinghy, a missing gas line, or some other thing.

Anger the locals enough and this guy will find his boat cut free or spray painted or something. ..................................

Boy, I would like to know were this dump is at that were you make a simple mistake, they sink your boat or ruin a very expensive paint job. What high class citizenry there is in Maine...
Maybe if you would have said it was the locals and not you having the problem, maybe people wouldn't ave jumped your *ss for the way you posted it, Read how you phrased the query and you will see
Old 10-07-2008, 15:24   #65

Cool Steady, Now

Sean, vulgar name-calling is an escalation in heat, not light.

And I still say your original post wasn't a question at all, but rather a statement of your own view. You're still presenting it otherwise.

As for anyone here being "mean": well, I guess those with the thinnest skins feel the most pain. When I commit a faux pas here, I have to take my lumps like a man, feel sheepish about it, make amends if I can, and come back to play another day.

Apparently, our opinions about the way they do things there don't mean a hoot to them. Did you have all that information from the locals before your orig. post? You could have spared us a lot of batting it around by giving the background in the first place. Seems the issue was settled in the locals' minds a long time ago. If that's their code, why doesn't someone just set him adrift?
Old 10-07-2008, 16:08   #66

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36
Regardless of the retoric the original question is still valid. My point was that if you make vague rules someone will take advantage. This is an issue that needs to to be addressed by the town/county etc. There are unfotunatly a lot of "Takers" in this world that do not know or care if they are pissing people off.

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
Old 10-07-2008, 17:57   #67

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
Without wishing to inflame emotions in what is already a fairly "frank & interesting exchange of views", I will say that it can be difficult to make value judgements on what a person can or cannot afford to do based on the perceived value of their boat, house or car. I live in a $500,000 dollar house and own a nice yacht and drive a jaguar. However, once I pay the mortgage & bills, school fees, insurance, put food on the table and upkeep on the house, boat and car, I can guarantee you that my disposable income is less than that of my step-son who works a few hours a week at KFC or my step-daughter who works a few hours a week at McDonalds. I couldn't tel you the last time I ate out at a restaurant, or the last time I paid more than $8 for a bottle of wine to have at home. I'm not crying poor or anything, I consider myself wealthy in all sorts of waves, but I basically live on rice and beans in order to be able to provide a nice home for my family and have a boat that is my dream.

On a less personal note, as has already been pointed out, there is a distinction between what is "right" (by whatever moral or ethical code you choose to adopt) and what is legal. Personally, I would choose to take a slip, because it makes it so much easier to get out and use my boat, and I make make sacrifices in order to pay the extra associated cost. Nevertheless I wouldn't expect others to see it my way. I have a pretty low expectations of mankind in general when it comes to how we treat our fellow man.
Old 10-07-2008, 18:26   #68
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzk View Post
By anchoring out, this guy freed up one extra slip that can be used by a transient! And the transient will actually get the chance to pay for the services that they use like the showers.
Actually I don't think this is sarcastic at all. If the town makes some moorings available for transients on a fee basis, that makes the most sense. If the town offers free mooring and pay mooring and I am paying local taxes I would definitely be PO'd if the free moorings were full of transients.

I am on a mooring that I pay for. Transients are also provided moorings and as non-members they pay morre per foot than I do. They get showers and use of all the club facilities including Wi-Fi, chart room, free tender transfers (as many as they want) etc. etc. All those facilities are paid for by my dues and fees.

If they got free moorings that would really suck...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssullivan View Post
They were especially angry that the large boat, that was essentially dumped there for the season (again), was owned by some rich guy who could easily afford to keep his boat on a proper mooring or dock. The guy apparently owns a ton of real estate locally too.
Again if this is a local problem, there must be a town council or some form of local government in order to make changes.

Quote:
Things are done to a high degree of ethics and courtesy here.

<snip>

Sounds like the highest levels of ethics and courtesy is being practiced there.

However the legality now seems to be in question.
Old 10-07-2008, 20:30   #69

Boat: Designing a global explorer (full keel & steel)
Quote:
I don't think I have ever just gone out and personally insulted any of you for asking a question. I guess I know now who's an *sshole and who isn't here.
How many people have insulted you in this thread? There's only one person that really called it a “stupid question” & if you notice, that person came back with another post & also hasn't been back here for a while, I wonder why???

Sure, some of us (incl myself) have rubbed it in a little bit, but that's what blokes do (even to me ). Compared to the real world (not this internet stuff), this is child's play.

Also, you have to remember the continuing “emotional feeling in the air” of posts from last week re: the Gen X vs Baby Boomer's (harder to get a house etc).

Quote:
For those who were such jerks on this thread, please do come by here... lol You'd get dealt with pretty fast with egos like that. The locals would have your running for home! ha ha
Is that a challenge?

Edit: if you look at other threads, I insult myself by calling myself "an absolute dumbass"
Old 10-07-2008, 21:28   #70

Boat: Dreaming
Thumbs up Give peace a chance.

ExfishNZ
Edit: if you look at other threads, I insult myself by calling myself "an absolute dumbass"
IMHO think we OZNZUKer's are the only people who really practise and appreciate self deprecation.

To those who feel offended, it's natural to be irritated...for a while, but remember we are all here to learn and share our experiences. It's not worth holding a grudge, all of you have contributed to these pages and I for one appreciate that.

Cheers
Old 10-07-2008, 23:58   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Wattle View Post
IMHO think we OZNZUKer's are the only people who really practise and appreciate self deprecation.
I thought the yanks did that too, isn't that why they have George Bush???

And to further self-deprecation ourselves, check out the OZ invasion of NZ:

self-deprecation??? I forget, after all - I am a bit stupid at times
Old 11-07-2008, 03:48   #72

Boat: 52' Irwin Ketch
. . . the angry young man . . .
Old 11-07-2008, 04:10   #73
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Well, it appears to me that this thread has just about run it's course. There's only so much that can be said on a topic like this without sinking into the mire.

If anyone has a good reason why it should NOT be closed, speak now, or forever hold your peace.
Old 11-07-2008, 04:34   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
If anyone has a good reason why it should NOT be closed, speak now, or forever hold your peace.
Amen 
Name:   signofcross.gif
Views: 178
Size:  12.1 KB

PS. Such a shame someone is not here at the moment
Old 11-07-2008, 05:04   #75
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Seems like it is a good time to close thise thread.

It's now no longer possible to add to this thread but if someone can find the real root of this thread and wants to start a new one it with may be in a direction yet undiscovered. After 70 some odd posts the things that need to be said tend to show up and the conversation seems to be turning into a converasation about the conversation and not the topic.
Closed Thread