Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2019, 09:01   #1

Boat: Westerly Fulmar 32
Intermittent Windlass Problem

Hi all... I have an intermittent windlass problem when it failed it is the up and down modes so basically I have nothing. The solenoids are both clicking away as usual I can even feel them through the deck. I have removed all wires and cleaned them and replaced them, made no difference. I have removed the motor and stripped and cleaned the armature and replaced, the brushes were fine. I have just removed the motor again and it is working fine out of the gearbox. It doesn’t even try when it’s not working. The motor has three terminals common and two positives that go to the up and down solenoids. I’m thinking an internal motor issue... but don’t know for sure.... windlass is maxwell and the motor is designated P12072...

As usual any help much appreciated
Steven UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 09:06   #2

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: Intermittent Windlass Problem

Have you used a meter to check that the motor sees voltage when the solenoids are on?
Old 09-05-2019, 09:11   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Have you used a meter to check that the motor sees voltage when the solenoids are on?
I have and they seem to be working but it’s an intermittent issue, earlier today I was getting voltage and no movement and after removing the motor I have voltage and movement. I know this points to a motor internal issue but the motor internals are very simple and I wanted to see if anyone had a similar issue
Old 09-05-2019, 09:19   #4

If you're getting power on the outbound side of the solenoid, then I would suspect the brushes in the motor. If that motor is not serviceable, then you more than likely need to replace the motor.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 09:48   #5

Boat: Lagoon 440

It does sound like a brush problem. The brushes could be fine but still give problems if they are sticking in their channels due to built-up sludge.

One indication of this would be if hitting the motor with a stick (to jar the brushes loose) causes it to work again when stuck. If that works, clean the brush channels and consider replacing the brushes.
SundayMorning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2019, 05:46   #6

Intermittent Windlass Problem

I had exactly the same problem twice the last 5 years. Both times it was the contractor that had dust/sludge buildup inside. On my installation the contractor have the low current connections and the high current. Inside is to solenoids which pulls the contractors down. On these there was sludge. I take it apart and sandpaper it clean. Problem solved. The intermittent was due to that sometimes it got contact Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1558875409.748717.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	192703
Flod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2019, 06:01   #7

If you are sure you have power to the motor, and still have intermittent operation, then the brushes are the problem.

An easy fix. If it is outside your comfort zone, any electric motor shop can fix it for you.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2019, 06:41   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

It sounds like the contactor is not conducting the full current, ie: a high resistance path.

If you can disassemble the contactor then check that the contacts aren't pitted and burned. They can sometimes be filed smooth again but don't use emory cloth.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2019, 07:50   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
It sounds like the contactor is not conducting the full current, ie: a high resistance path.

If you can disassemble the contactor then check that the contacts aren't pitted and burned. They can sometimes be filed smooth again but don't use emory cloth.

Exactly the problem I had and tried to describe above. You can here the solenoids working but it won’t let high currents through
Flod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2019, 14:47   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flod View Post
Exactly the problem I had and tried to describe above. You can here the solenoids working but it won’t let high currents through
Ok so the contractors or relays are in pairs, one up and one down. When the problem occurs it’s both up and down always. I stripped th3 motor again and checked the channels 5he brushes (four of them) and they seemed clean. The last time I did this in Luperon last week I checked each direction twenty times and was happy with that. This morning in George Town it let out fourty foot then when I went to let out more... nothing. And it’s still quit even now after drinking all day and using foul language at it... it never stops mid in or out only after I have manually let go of the switch and try it again. I’m going to try brushing the brush faces...
Old 27-05-2019, 14:49   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SundayMorning View Post
It does sound like a brush problem. The brushes could be fine but still give problems if they are sticking in their channels due to built-up sludge.

One indication of this would be if hitting the motor with a stick (to jar the brushes loose) causes it to work again when stuck. If that works, clean the brush channels and consider replacing the brushes.
Going to try it now...
Old 27-05-2019, 14:50   #12

Boat: Beneteau 423 43 feet

Go to the power source.... pull and clean negative connections.
NYSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2019, 15:07   #13

Boat: Outremer 50S

Are the brushes long enough? We had similar issues and I took things apart, brushes looked just fine. Put it all back together and it worked for a while, then got intermittent again. Turned out the brushes started out 1" (25mm) long and were down to 1/2" (12mm). They looked fine, but with the length reduced the spring did not provide enough pressure for a good contact. Each time I took it apart it would work again, but for shorter and shorter intervals. New (longer) brushes went in more than a year ago and it has behaved since.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2019, 15:36   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

If you're sure you have full power to the motor, the commutator may need cleaning/polishing. Also look at the bottom of the brushes and see if they're clean and smooth. The commutator has gaps separated by mica. See that the gaps are clean of debris. Check where the wiring connects to the brushes. Crocus cloth can be used to polish the commutator. It's like extremely fine sand paper meant for final polishing of metal.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2019, 10:29   #15

The intermittent problem started again and I’m definitely getting power on both motor positive terminals and it seems to be a motor internal issue because they both go live when one of the wires from the relay is removed. So both wires go live in each direction and motor doesn’t even twitch. Nothing gets hot or trips... I’m going to pull the motor out again. Any input would be welcomed ...

Tags
wind, windlass