Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-09-2013, 23:19   #1
cruiser

If I have anchor cleat, and use a snubber, do I need to bother with a chain stopper?

The snubber, cleated, will take the strain off my manual windlass.
So, any point in adding a chain stopper up there at the bow roller?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this...
LBW399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2013, 23:38   #2

Boat: Beneteau 473
We have one. I guess I am kind of a belt and suspenders type of girl, it is just a nice back up to the snubber. The other two things it does is 1. Keeps the anchor securely in place with no stress on the windless when in the roller, and 2. I can flip it down and taken tension off the windless as we back down on the anchor to make sure we are set. I normally don't put the snubber on until after we are sure the anchor is set.

While I do like the stopper, it can be a PITA when running the chain in or out as it will sometimes flip to the stopped position. The problem is mostly bringing the chain in. I have solved the problem by placing my big toe on the little arm, it keeps it in place without too much force.
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
SmartMove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2013, 23:38   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
Re: If I have anchor cleat, and use a snubber, do I need to bother with a chain stopp

Chain stoppers are nice to have, but not essential.

Its important to always take the load off the windlass, but as you point out this can (and should) be done with a snubber. Its good to also cleat off the chain with a second rope in case the snubber breaks.

Lots of boats don't have enough distance between the winch and the end of the anchor shank for a stopper particularly if they fit a swivel with a few few chain links between the swivel and the shank (as should be done).

Chain stoppers are a bit hard on the galvanising of the chain.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2013, 23:39   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: If I have anchor cleat, and use a snubber, do I need to bother with a chain stopp

It's like belt and suspenders, but I say that if you have a good snubber then you don't need a chain stopper. If conditions are tough you might want to rig a back-up snubber in case your working snubber chafes through.

I expect that some will disagree. I don't have a chain stopper, but wouldn't mind it if I did.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2013, 00:26   #5

If the windlass was to fail and unravel when lifting the chain then the chain stopper will prevent the complete chain from unravelling and if not secured in the chain locker, fall to the bottom of the sea. I have one and I like the security of knowing that the chain can not unravel.
chala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2013, 00:34   #6

Boat: Beneteau 473
BTW, we have stainless chain, so not the same concern as Noelex.
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
SmartMove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2013, 05:49   #7

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

We use a SS chain hook on a short spectra strop connected to the anchor cleat. It allows me to take the load off the windlass when backing down and before we have determined the final length of chain, it serves as a backup holding device when the anchor is on the roller, it allows me to quickly snub off the anchor during retrieval to do any other work (pull off weeds or bottom garbage), and serves as a backup to keep the load off the windlass should the snubber break. When the chain is in free fall, I found I can hold the hook by the short spectra strop near the chain and it usually catches the chain and stops it.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2013, 06:38   #8

Boat: a sailing boat

I too like chain stoppers to be there. Helps in off loading the winch for other use/second anchor, etc.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2013, 06:48   #9

Boat: Rafiki 37

I'm planning to install a chain stopper, but it's not a high priority. We always use a snubber (a bridle actually, so we have two), and I take the chain off our manual windlass and put it on a cleat if any weather is expected in the anchorage. With our system I've yet to encounter any problems.

So it's a good thing to have, and I plan to install one eventually, but it's not necessary if you do other things to protect the windlass.
Old 30-09-2013, 07:08   #10

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana

Stopper is nice to have. We do not lie to our stopper, we have another gizmo for that.
The important use of the stopper is while hauling chain, if we get a hard pull, ie >30 Knots, our windlass will run backwards, and trip breakers etc. Thats when I want each link recovered to be irreversible. We wrote more detail on this in another post, and there were some useful comments in the thread.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ers-80188.html
Old 30-09-2013, 07:18   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chala View Post
If the windlass was to fail and unravel when lifting the chain then the chain stopper will prevent the complete chain from unravelling and if not secured in the chain locker, fall to the bottom of the sea. I have one and I like the security of knowing that the chain can not unravel.
It is quite frightening and dangerous if this occurs in deep water.

Without a chain stopper when retrieving the anchor be careful it is secured with a secondary rope before preceding into deep water.

In many of the anchorages around here it can be 100m deep just outside the anchorage and if it jumps off the gypsy the weight of the anchor and all the chain will develop an enormous amount of momentum without anything to stop it. A nylon tail is a good idea (it also means the anchor gear can be quickly cut free) but its still going to do some damage when its suddenly stopped at the end of its travel.
Old 30-09-2013, 08:44   #12

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

I have no plans for a chain stopper although I do use a chain hook that is tied to a cleat. The hook gets used for snubbing and also to take the load of my windlass when the anchor is docked. I worry about a chain stopper getting into the act when I am retrieving chain. Many times I have to let small amounts of chain out a couple of times during the retrieval process.
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2013, 09:03   #13

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

Question.

If a chain stopper is used, and the wind is stronger than your windlass and/or engine can bring the boat into, is there a way to release the anchor without resorting to a hacksaw?

Assume no snubbers are in use.

Steve
Panope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2013, 09:20   #14

Seems like a chain stopper should be useful as some mention. The one boat I had it on it didnt get used though. If adding it I would: 1) make sure it's the type you can pull the pin out of, 2) make sure it's raised up and in the path of the chain pull rather than pulling the chain down toward the deck.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2013, 10:50   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panope View Post
Question.

If a chain stopper is used, and the wind is stronger than your windlass and/or engine can bring the boat into, is there a way to release the anchor without resorting to a hacksaw?
The stronger the force on the chain the harder the chain stopper grips, but yes the ones I have used can always released even without taking the load off, albeit with considerable difficulty in bad conditions.

Normally you motor forward and when the pressure is eased the chain stopper will release. When pulling chain up the chain stopper will allow retrieval without releasing, but will lock if the chain tries to pull out.

Tags
anchor