Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-08-2011, 08:43   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Gulfstar 50
I Returned My Rocna and Bought a Manson

I'm starting this thread not to bash Rocna - Please don't in this thread.

This thread is for feedback to Rocna on the effect of their actions. So if you have returned a Rocna and replaced it with another anchor please do tell us about it in one post if possible. Let's try to keep any discussion in other threads. (Just the facts ma'am)

In my case I bought a 33 KG Rocna which arrived and started rusting before it hit the water. Rocna NZ agreed it had a defect and agreed to replace it through their North American dealer. There were no anchors in NA so I have been waiting for them to come in. I have been waiting since May and still no anchor.

At this point I have just gotten fed up and have direct my vendor to take the Rocna back and refund my money. I have asked them to get me a Manson as a replacement.

Regards
evm1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2011, 13:34   #2

Boat: Pelin Crusader 42ft
After reading all the correspondence here and elsewhere I have purchased a 20kg Manson Supreme. Cost just NZ$529 from Smart Marine in Auckland. I did count more Rocnas on our marina but most were NZ mfged models.

We have replaced a CQR 45 lb.
timj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2011, 20:26   #3

Boat: Allied Mistress
Gents,
I returned my rocna 15kg in May of this year, after it began to rust on the roller after only 4 uses in mud mainly. Bought in Feb 2010 @ West Marine. Contacted the VP for marketing after the local WM manager was unsure of what actions to take. Bottom line returned it, got a 45lb Mason Supreme to replace. Just for the record I never doubted the rocna's performance until the rusting started up prematurely IMAO.
EC Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2011, 17:46   #4

Re: I Returned my Rocna and Bought a Manson

I returned my recently purchased Rocna 33 to West Marine and purchased a Manson Supreme 35...hats off to WM for their support...
keithmaryq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2011, 19:57   #5

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

IMHO--Rocna will suffer a serious set back because of this recall. I once had a manager who explained that a business in many ways resembles a tree.

It is difficult to plant, many times dies in the first year. It can grow to be strong and viable but if not properly cared for, it can easily be killed. Too bad the company traded short term gains for long term losses.
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2011, 20:10   #6

Location: Currently cruising the Philippines, just got back from PNG & Solomons
Boat: Wauquiez 45' (now 48') catamaran
Send a message via Skype™ to Jon Hacking

We bought a 25kg Rocna from WM USA in 2010. It's worked well but I'm concerned & would like to trade it in for a Manson Supreme. Does anyone know if there's somewhere we can do that in Singapore, Malaysia, or Thailand?
Old 20-08-2011, 20:24   #7

Boat: sold our IP, now motoring along on the dark side in a Heritage East Sundeck 36

Bought a Rocna 25 from West Marine this past March, returned it last week for a Manson 60 (one of only two left in any West Marine warehouses).
Old 20-08-2011, 20:28   #8

Boat: Looking for a new boat

Wow that is a lot of people returning Rocnas. What's the official work from Rocna? Is there a press release explaining the problem? Why is WM involved? Are they the exclusive merchant?
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2011, 20:35   #9

Boat: sold our IP, now motoring along on the dark side in a Heritage East Sundeck 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbusted67 View Post
Wow that is a lot of people returning Rocnas. What's the official work from Rocna? Is there a press release explaining the problem? Why is WM involved? Are they the exclusive merchant?
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ors-65579.html
Old 20-08-2011, 20:40   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbusted67 View Post
Rocna advertised that their anchors were built to one spec, when in reality they were using much weaker steel. This was especially an issue since the developer of the anchor advised all that the higher grade was critical for proper performance.

It's a long story, but a customer bought a Rocna, had the steel tested, and the proverbial poop hit the fan. Rocna denied, denied and denied some more.

West Marine became aware of the issue, and subsequently had a recall on Rocna anchors. One could surmise they are forcing Rocna to take those back.

Rocna anchors built in Canada and NZ are all built to original specs. Those in China are not.

West Marine's recall notice is here for details. Note that West Marine states "...it is certianly a "bummer" that Rocna produced anchors with steel of a lesser grade than that called for on their website....".

If you do a search on Rocna on this website, you will see hundreds of posts detailing what I outline above.
Old 20-08-2011, 20:44   #11

Boat: Alden 54

I purchased a Rocna 33 kg in NZ last year. We replaced our CQR which had been a great anchor for many years but dragged twice during our trip to Tasmania. In my opinion its quite simply a better technology. There is no comparison. In addition we have no rust issues.
Cheers
Mithrandir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2011, 00:41   #12

Boat: Lagoon 440
Send a message via Skype™ to impi
Absolutely have no intention of replacing my Rocna 33 - was s scared of all the stories on this forum and very nearly returned it. We rode out a storm with huge swells and cross currents near Saldhana Bay South Africa and although i kept thinking about what had been said on this forum, that anchor held our lagoon 440 in one spot right through the night.
Maybe I'm one if the lucky ones???? My previous anchor used to drag in half the conditions we experienced here.
For me..... I am now very very confident I have an anchor that will keep us safe in stormy weather.
impi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2011, 11:58   #13

Boat: a sailing boat

Yep. Apparently some of them are fine, others are not. However, given the potential drama of learning which one I have will keep me away from this manufacturer for a while!

Thanks for sharing the news.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2011, 12:20   #14
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Holding on to my made-in-Canada Rocna.
Old 21-08-2011, 12:26   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31