Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-10-2013, 16:25   #31

Boat: Koopmans 40 aluminum centerboard cutter
Re: Hurricane safety, - chain or rope?

..and another small note on the subject of all chain, all rope or some sort of combination; the following page has a systematic approach at the questions, albeit somewhat complicated theory. Interesting though!

Rode - Dynamic Behavior
SY Marelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2013, 16:36   #32

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Lived all my life in the hurricane belt.

Hurricane saftey = evacuation.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2013, 12:50   #33

Boat: Sold, alas, because life happens.
Re: Hurricane safety, - chain or rope?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY Marelot View Post
..and another small note on the subject of all chain, all rope or some sort of combination; the following page has a systematic approach at the questions, albeit somewhat complicated theory. Interesting though!

Rode - Dynamic Behavior
Yeah. Esoteric, that. And actual experience concurs, which resulted in people use a LONG line as a snubber on their all-chain anchor system: reduced shock loading on the anchor itself.

The all-chain approach gets used (in my opinion) as safeguard should the snubber(s) break. That provides time, however limited, to rig another snubber. However, as others pointed out, vigilance is key. Suitable chaff guard extends the life of the snubber during violent action. The prudent mariner would be well advised to check for chaff wear and take action before the snubber line itself becomes damaged.

Contrary to using a kettle, one might consider using small floats on the snubber line! That would keep the snubber line off the seabed, preventing chaff from coral and/or other bottom junk, and allow using longer line. (This under the scenario you presented: hurricane anchoring. Too much of a waste for anything below 60-odd knots of wind. And in "normal" anchoring, the floats would raise the line sufficiently to become entangled with your keel/rudder, or other boats motoring past whilst checking out the anchorage.)
svmariane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2013, 14:28   #34

In 2004 we anchored our Ericson 38 out to ride out three hurricanes. Charlie, Frances and Jeanne. For Frances we anchored her in Clearwater Harbor just a quarter mile inside Sand Key about halfway between the CG Station and the Sailing Center. If I remember right the depth was about 12 ft maybe a bit more. We used 100 ft of 5/16 ht chain and 200ft of 5/8 nylon 3 strand on a single Fortress FX 35. Chafing gear was the Canvas firehose type over the bow roller.

The boat rode out winds over 35k for three straight days ...peak winds of 75k. The boat never moved except that it pounded severly in the chop. The only damage was a broken steering cable. I had tied off the wheel but the surging was tremendous. No damage to the rode and not much wear on the chafing gear either.

In Charlie and Jeanne we anchored in canals behind houses and so did not see that much wave action. In the canals with not much swinging room we used two hooks such that we could swing clear no matter what the wind did. I used a makeshift kellet (dive weights) on the second rode to avoid snagging the keel or rudder on the rode. Works like a charm. The primary rode was the same as above but the second had less chain, only 50 ft as I recall.

I've used the same kellet many times in the Bahamas where tidal currents shift more than the wind.

The boat
Capt RonB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hurricane, rope, safety