Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-08-2010, 17:16   #1

Boat: 1984 CS 36
How'd You Pick Your Anchor ?

I'm curious as to why so few people seem to have "new age" anchors. My "survey" (read: walk down the dock from the gate to our slip) indicates a few surprising things - in my mind anyway - about people's primary anchors:

1. A lot of people have Bruce's. Everything I've heard or read leads me to believe it's a poor choice. Why do people still buy them when they do so badly compared to almost everything else on those performance tests?

2. CQR seems to be the most popular. My understanding is that a Delta is generally better. If a Delta is basically the same design (i.e. good for the same holding ground), why would anyone have a CQR?

3. There are virtually no Rocnas, Mansons, Ultras or other "new age" anchors. I get that they're expensive, but plenty of those Bruce boats have $3500 chartplotters... I just don't believe that expense is the main reason.

I understand, of course, that there's no "one size fits all" anchor and I get that not everyone is a cruiser.

However, I'm surprised that more people aren't willing to drop $600 on a Rocna, but ARE willing to spend money on more frivolous things like 17" chartplotters. I see it on the cruising boats too - windvane, liferaft, jerry cans and a CQR - a pretty common sight.

I'm not trying to start a fight about anchor designs. I'm just wondering if there's something I'm missing that people consider when making their choices.
kb79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2010, 17:21   #2
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
Good thread. I'd like to know a bit more, but my guess is general education, marketing, old advice, out of date - came with the boat, or maybe they never go anyway?
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2010, 17:26   #3
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail
from what i have read the bruces do pretty well in most of the tests .. why are you so convinced of their inferiority?
Old 26-08-2010, 17:30   #4

Boat: 1984 CS 36
definitely not convinced - hence the question

but i've seen this chart and others like it often, and have never seen the bruce do well: Rocna Anchors - Demonstrations & Testing
kb79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2010, 18:04   #5

Boat: CS 36t
Personally, I watched how anchors set whenever I could see and did pull them around in some loose soil at home. As an engineer, I like to know what is going on and I wasn't impressed with several major anchor brands. Until purchasing my current anchor, the only anchor type that I had not had struggles with is the Fisherman type and that was because it was 500lbs with 3/4" chain (92' boat). That anchor had lots of problems and fouled itself a lot but none of these problems ever made it drag.

In addition to my own observation, I took the advice of Maine Sail who is on several of these forums and has done excellent testing on his own. To add to that, I did take a look at a few reviews and what people were saying on forums.

All that lead me to purchasing a 15kg Rocna which I am very happy with. I believe that their knowledge of the factors involved in anchoring is the best that I have seen of any manufacturer although I don't like how aggressively it is displayed.

I probably fall into the "early adopter" category for this purchase even though I normally wait longer but it was clear to me that the new generation is better. I think that a lot of people are scared of buying something before it is really mainstream.
klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2010, 18:06   #6

Boat: Swan 56
I would imagine that most of the boats you saw at the dock, like mine, didn't pick their anchors. It's the anchor that came with the boat.

Mine came with a CQR as a primary anchor, the last time I went cruising I was away for 11 months and anchored pretty much all of that time. The anchor dragged 3 times; once was in a crowded anchorage and I didn't have anywhere near enough scope out, once when I anchored in some old netting which gave way during the night and the third time I dragged a fair way before it re-set again, and I've no idea why.

Would a Rocna or other have faired any better? - well possibly it might of held the 3rd occasion, I'll never know, but I doubt it would have made any difference on the first two.

So I have a choice; buy a new Rocna and possibly not drag that one in every couple of hundred times that I anchor, or use the money for a new AIS or new liferaft or whatever. For me, the very slight improvement does not make it a high priority issue.

However, if I lost my CQR and had to buy another primary anchor, would it be a CQR? I doubt it, I'd probably go for the newer design.

I think it's fair to say that most people are aware that the modern anchors do have advantages over the older designs, but they are either happy with their current arrangement..... or can live with it.

If I could afford the best of everything I wouldn't be sailing around on a 15 year old boat!!
bewitched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2010, 18:40   #7

Boat: Irwin Citation 39 'Chesagansett'
My boat came with a 35# CQR. I got rid of it both because it was quite rusty and because I already had a 35# Davis Talon (copy of Delta). I bought a 20 kg claw (copy of Bruce) that I keep on the bow roller. The boat also came with a 20# Danforth that's on the pulpit; it's the anchor I use most often in local Chesapeake cruising. I use the claw in more exposed locations or if the forecast calls for a reversal of wind direction (or if in a location with tidal currents). I don't especially like to use the claw since I don't have a windlass.

I don't worry about the palm shape of the claw/Bruce being unable to penetrate weed or gravel, since the 4th anchor on the boat is a 3-piece fisherman, that's in the same locker as the Talon/Delta.

Now I'll be a rude CF contributor and say that if "everything" you've heard or read indicates the Bruce is a poor anchor, then you aren't getting around enough.
steve_hendry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2010, 19:29   #8

I love my Bruce knock-off, a 60lb CQR came with the boat used it for 8 yrs and dragged 3 or 4 times per year. Used a 50 lb Danforth in the bahamas drug twice in 5 yrs. Have been using my 110lb lewmar bruce knock-off haven't drug once in last 4 yrs. In all bottom conditions we back down untill that 1/2 in chain comes up like a wedding night d--k. Our anchoring technique has not changed but our anchor has,satisfaction guranteed.
Old 27-08-2010, 03:56   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC
how many of those boats in your marina actually anchor for more than a brief swim or lunch? They got what the manufacturer or dealer slapped on it. The sailboat next to me has no anchor.
gettinthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2010, 04:13   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
This thread falls into the category of a thoroughly beaten and rebeaten dead horse, but a subject everyone enjoys so much, that you still get enthusiastic participation.

I think there's really nothing new to say on the subject but here goes.

The new generation anchors (Manson, Rocna, Spade) are truly a great leap forward from what we had before. Bruce and CQR pretty much suck in comparison. There is a lot of hype and propaganda around the choice between the different new gen anchors but probably not much real difference between them in terms of performance, if you cut through the hype. I can say based on experience that I haven't noticed any difference in performance between our previous Spade and current Rocna (both excellent).

I chartered for years in the summers so have experienced pretty much every anchor type personally. Lots of bad experiences with Bruce and CQR, dragging, not setting, etc. We used a Spade on our own previous boat for the last five or six years; wonderful performance. The present boat came with a Delta which was too small for the boat (25kg) and an inadequate length of chain (40 meters). We had difficulty setting it on multiple occasions.

When we went to choose an anchor for the new boat the choice between the three new gen anchors was pretty much down to cost and availability. Spade was much more expensive than the others, and Manson in our size had to be shipped from New Zealand. So we bought a Rocna by default. We have been delighted with its performance and I was also very very pleased with the very personal and intensive consultation and support given by the maker. We fitted a much bigger anchor than the boat was designed for (55kg, more than twice the original size) and had a lot of challenges with shackles and bow rollers, and Craig Smith was really great helping me solve those things.

As to size -- I think that size is everything and I am convinced that ideas about anchor size from ten years ago were wrong for anyone who anchors out seriously, that is, who needs the anchor to hold in other than perfect conditions. We have now got a 55kg (121 pounds) Rocna working on our boat, and I don't think it is too big. It looks ok on the bow roller although we still have some problems with the windlass handling the weight (clutches need work) and with the anchor turning properly on the bow roller (I have ordered a larger diameter roller). It sure feels good having that big boy dug into the sea bed, when you think the wind might kickup overnight.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2010, 04:29   #11
CLOD

Boat: none
I think the part about "how you chose" your anchor is a little different than most other anchor threads.

I admit my 35# CQR that I use is the anchor the boat came with. I have a Delta and Fortness that I don't think have never seen the water. Both these came with my boat.

I will make a change if this boat is the ONE, but for now my CQR is as big as I can handle and works fine in the NE.
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2010, 04:35   #12

Boat: Long range motor cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb79 View Post
Snip..
However, I'm surprised that more people aren't willing to drop $600 on a Rocna, but ARE willing to spend money on more frivolous things like 17" chartplotters. I see it on the cruising boats too - windvane, liferaft, jerry cans and a CQR - a pretty common sight. Snip...
My favorite moan when I see flash boats with an inadequate rode (IMHO) but I've never been brave enough to start yet another anchor thread

P.
The message is the journey, we are sure the answer lies in the destination. But in reality, there is no station, no place to arrive at once and for all. The joy of life is the trip, and the station is a dream that constantly out distances us”. Robert Hastings, The Station
fishwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2010, 04:58   #13

Boat: Bluewater 420 CC
How did I pick my anchors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb79 View Post
I'm curious as to why so few people seem to have "new age" anchors.
How did I pick my anchor?

Easy! I searched numerous forums and independant anchor tests for my new and yet to be launched boat and sought as many opinions as possible. Conclusion was a Rocna 33kg primary & a Rocna 25kg secondary that can be hooked in tandem to the primary + a Danforth for a kedge. Oh, but on my current (For Sale) boat, it has an old CQR because, well that's what was in the locker when I looked - joined to 7m of chain and 20m of nylon and that's it.

Greg
Old 27-08-2010, 05:29   #14

Location: Landlocked for now in Medicine Hat, Alberta, Canada
Boat: Home building project just starting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinthere View Post
how many of those boats in your marina actually anchor for more than a brief swim or lunch? They got what the manufacturer or dealer slapped on it. The sailboat next to me has no anchor.
I thought you had to have an anchor by law. Hell, I have a five gallon bucket half full of cement for my aluminum fishing boat on the lake.
Old 27-08-2010, 05:34   #15

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
I think the part about "how you chose" your anchor is a little different than most other anchor threads.

I admit my 35# CQR that I use is the anchor the boat came with. I have a Delta and Fortness that I don't think have never seen the water. Both these came with my boat.

I will make a change if this boat is the ONE, but for now my CQR is as big as I can handle and works fine in the NE.
Pound for pound the Delta will hold better than a CQR but more importantly it sets-point down every time, so if you can penetrate the bottom you'll get a reliable set... known to be an "iffy" issue for the CQR.

If equal size you should consider switching your Delta to primary role, IMHO.
SailFastTri is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor