Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2010, 21:59   #106
cruiser

Boat: Cowther 43 - Hunter 40.5
I done some research and picked a Supreme for my 25 foot boat. This anchor is awesome. I have dived down and ripped it up and watched it reset in its own length no matter which way I lay it down. My boat had a rubbish anchor roller too and I designed a new one from scratch.

I am also amazed at the inadequacies of many peoples anchoring systems. Sure its up to them, but if it were my boat I would have trouble sleeping at night more than a day sail away from home with their setup. However many people don't go further than a days sail from home so it probably OK for them.
dennisail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 01:39   #107

Boat: Southern Cross 35' Cutter - FrPol & H-boat 26' - Sweden
Send a message via Skype™ to svrodeorm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiracer View Post
MOST IMPORTANT knowing the bottom is good. Bottom trumps everthing. Skill is second. Anchor and rode afer all that.
Ain't that a good sum up? Does make sense to keep one's odds on one's side IMO.
Old 06-09-2010, 02:17   #108

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 2000
Size matters
Get the biggest pick you can stow on your bow...if people laugh cos its so big then its probably about right !!
Albro359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 04:29   #109
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
I just bought a new Manson Supreme after losing the last one in some rocks I am now 2 sizes larger, the last one worked perfect all over the Med, so it was an easy choyce
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 10:34   #110

Boat: 41' Custom CC Cutter
Ok, so what's the formula for "correctly sized", so one can judge what is "oversized" and good enough for a storm anchor? I seem to remember hearing 1# of anchor for each 1000# of displacement.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:48   #111

Boat: Shuttlecat 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakeasy View Post
Ok, so what's the formula for "correctly sized", so one can judge what is "oversized" and good enough for a storm anchor? I seem to remember hearing 1# of anchor for each 1000# of displacement.
seems a bit on the low side to me but I might be messing up my math, also the rule would have to be different for a multi.

cheers
Old 06-09-2010, 11:04   #112
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Quote:
I seem to remember hearing 1# of anchor for each 1000# of displacement.
No. Not even with a Rocna.
Old 06-09-2010, 11:48   #113

Each manufacturer has a recommendations table. You can take their recommendation with as much salt as you like. Anchor recommendation salt is especially bad for you.

For example, my first boat was 35' long and displaced around 14,000 lbs. Fortress recommended a 10 lb anchor. Dream the heck on.....

I used an FX-55 (32lb) as my light anchor, and on occasion dragged it (after confirming visually it was set). My big anchor was a 47lb. Both were set on 30' of chain and as much rope as needed for 6:1 scope or more.

My next boat will be in the 55' range around maybe 50k lbs displacement, and my everyday anchor on an all-chain rode will be in the 100lb range, and of modern design. Rocna (for example) suggests a 40kg (88lb) anchor. I'd also carry a bigger anchor, and probably a stern anchor and maybe an emergency last-chance anchor like maybe a fisherman take-down.
Old 06-09-2010, 14:27   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
No. Not even with a Rocna.
[Shock'n'Awe!] How can that be?

I knew that couldn't be right, but thought there might be a consensus formula. I know, good luck with that in an anchor thread.

My boat is 41' & 15T and came with two 44# bruce anchors and a lunch hook. The PO says he used the two bruces in tandem during a blow, setting the second on 30' of chain added to the rode. But most here seem to think a single bigger anchor is best. I have been thinking of getting the 66# Rocna but haven't checked out how it would fit the twin rollers. Should I go even larger?
Old 06-09-2010, 15:08   #115
CF Adviser

Quote:
I have been thinking of getting the 66# Rocna but haven't checked out how it would fit the twin rollers.
To the best of my knowledge, Rocna doesn't make a 66# anchor. The 25 kilo anchor would weigh 55 lbs, and the 33 kilo anchor would weigh 75 lbs.

You will probably find that their charts suggest the 25 kilo anchor for your boat.
Old 06-09-2010, 15:49   #116

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora
Gotcha beat

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingway View Post
I chose two anchors that way. I'm pleased with both though I've only used the one
I have three and only use one. Have you ever tried to dispose of a used anchor?

Todd
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 16:28   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
To the best of my knowledge, Rocna doesn't make a 66# anchor. The 25 kilo anchor would weigh 55 lbs, and the 33 kilo anchor would weigh 75 lbs.

You will probably find that their charts suggest the 25 kilo anchor for your boat.
Now that I vaguely remember, I think you're correct on the rocna sizes. I wonder if my tigres lofrans windlass could handle the 75#. It would appear to me that it could but I don't know the specs. But I doubt I could used the other roller even if it fits by itself ok.

Old 06-09-2010, 16:41   #118
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy
Quote:
How'd you pick your anchor ?
Basically tried and own nearly all of them, though there are a few I have not yet tried. We have a few places that we like to stay that are tough setting and many of my anchors failed miserably in those locations. I also put all my anchors through my own personal testing for my own understanding of characteristics. I choose my anchors on sheer performance, and price or aesthetics etc. do not play a role in these decisions as I see this as insurance and I don't shop for insurance by price only either.

I own a number of new gen anchors and they are not all the same and don't all perform the same. I currently use a Rocna but also own a Manson Supreme, two Spades, Supermax, genuine Bruce two CQR's, Fortress and have also owned and used a Delta but loaned it to a friend, sort of permanently.

Because I actually own all the pictured anchors below, and none are for sale, I make an unbiased decision every time I anchor based solely on performance for my sailing waters, and that decision is either a Manson Supreme or the Rocna hands down next would be a steel Spade then a genuine Bruce.

Watched an old salty looking wood boat drag a CQR Saturday night in 18-24 knots. Woke up in the morning and he was 100 yards from where he set and by then had a second anchor out... Another 30 yards and his boat would have been a pile of splinters.

I actually made a few videos while experimenting with setting behavior on a hard sand intertidal area..

In short I personally put all my anchors through the paces then decided based on actual performance over many anchorings and sets.

I carry a Rocna as primary, Fortress as a stern anchor and a Spade as back up..
Old 06-09-2010, 16:48   #119
CF Adviser

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdoraKeeper View Post
Have you ever tried to dispose of a used anchor?
I traded the Delta that came with my boat for a good bottle of wine. A few months later, that anchor's new owner traded it to someone else for a semi-good bottle of wine.

Such transactions seem to work particularly well in Northern California, where most of the larger sailboats have well-stocked wine lockers.
Old 21-01-2011, 19:00   #120

Boat: C&C 27 mkI
27 foot, 5200lb boat. Came with a 25 lb CQR, a 19 lb Danforth, and an 8 lb Danforth, and various sizes and lengths of chain. Seeing that the water is still hard haven't yet had the opportunity to find out how happy I am with the present, or if changes will be happening in the future.
hard aground is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor