Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-05-2023, 15:15   #1

Boat: Hunter Legend 40.5
How to source new Windlass Motor

hey all, does anyone know where I could find a bolt-in replacement for an anchorman 1000 windlass motor?

Here are pics. Note it only has two battery terminals
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20230530_151211.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	405.6 KB
ID:	276037   Click image for larger version

Name:	20230530_151223.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	419.7 KB
ID:	276038  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20230530_151142.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	428.6 KB
ID:	276039  
sv_isara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2023, 15:25   #2

Boat: Swallowed the anchor
Re: How to source new Windlass Motor

Have you considered getting it repaired/rewound?
kenbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2023, 15:31   #3

Boat: Tayana 37

Curious to see what you find out. I have always been suspicious the windlass motors are just off the shelf can motors with a windlass company sticker on it selling for 4x the price. I mean they are basic DC brushed motors windlass company aren't making their own.
Statistical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2023, 16:00   #4

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

I'd get hold of Simpson Lawrence.

https://www.p2marine.com/simpson-law...identification
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2023, 17:40   #5

If an electric motor hasn't been seriously mechanically damaged or doused in seawater, it CAN be rebuilt. New bearings, brushes, polished commutator, rewound rotor... All can be done. They literally are forever.

It might, or might not, be cost effective to rebuild depending on the cost and availability of a new one. You only know when you get prices. We had a 24V motor for our water maker that was cheaper to replace. The 5kW motor on our bow thruster was far cheaper to have rewound.

And the motors in a windlass are most certainly NOT custom made for the windlass. When the windlass was built they were absolutely standard industrial off the shelf parts. They might, or might not, still be available today... Usually the motor's label gives you the information you need to track it down. But sometimes, as in this case, the windlass builder slaps their own label on it.
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 16:43   #6

Well...i disected the motor. It worked fine before btw, however I suspect that it does cutout, although it's hard to tell if it's the motor or the switches.

The motor had about a tablespoon of black dust, but the funny thing was that one of the four brushes weren't actually touching the axle thing - there was some manufacturing defect in the copper holding the brush which prevented the brush from being pressed into the axle via the spring.

In a month or two i'll throw that clip up on my youtube but I'm a bit behind with the videos. No luck so far finding spares, including at SLspares UK.
Old 01-06-2023, 19:06   #7

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46

Even brushes are normally standard sizes. I’d chase a test and rebuild if needed. And check the switches for sure!
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 23:52   #8

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

I used to take a lot of water over the bow, and the aluminum castings on the ends of my windlass motors were not salvagable.

You can test the rotor windings--the commutator sectors should have continuity 180 degrees apart and be insulated from everything else.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 02:18   #9

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv_sharky View Post
Well...i disected the motor. It worked fine before btw, however I suspect that it does cutout, although it's hard to tell if it's the motor or the switches.

The motor had about a tablespoon of black dust, but the funny thing was that one of the four brushes weren't actually touching the axle thing - there was some manufacturing defect in the copper holding the brush which prevented the brush from being pressed into the axle via the spring.

In a month or two i'll throw that clip up on my youtube but I'm a bit behind with the videos. No luck so far finding spares, including at SLspares UK.
The "axle thing" is called "the commutator" and the black dust is probably from the brushes and is generally not and indication of a problem. If one of the brushes was not pressing in the commutator it's probably the cause of your problem and a new set of brushes might solve it.
Old 02-06-2023, 02:35   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

See: https://www.samarins.com/glossary/starter.html

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 02:49   #11

I recently had the motor in my 50 year old Ideal windlass rebuilt. Took it too an auto electric shop. Required some relays in addition to rewinding. Cost was around $300 US. Was nicely painted when I fetched it. More or less brand new.
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 09:21   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
The "axle thing" is called "the commutator" and the black dust is probably from the brushes and is generally not and indication of a problem. If one of the brushes was not pressing in the commutator it's probably the cause of your problem and a new set of brushes might solve it.
Thanks! Because tue brush wasn't being used, it was like new. I fixed (bent) the copper brish housing and now I have a working 4th brush! To be tested next week....
Old 11-06-2023, 18:51   #13

Ok so the update: installed the motor and it works great! Not sure if there's an improvement, but the anchor wasn't swiveling upright and getting stuck, so i also installed a mantus swivel and it's like magic!

Now I have to figure out what I should do with a highly bent boat hook from a few weekends ago...

Also, the chain jumps on the gypsy on the way up. I believe it's because it has no 'drop' to the anchor locker - only about 1/2 inch drop to a slanted decline.

I heated and hammered out a dent in the gypsy, hoping that would help, but alas it doesn't. It looks like a previous owner installed or attempted to install a sprocket in front of the windlass. I'm going to try a skid plate below the gypsy first to press the chain more into the gypsy, and then if that doesn't work, a sprocket to give the gypsy more grab. Also, might try a different type of chain.

Tags
motor, wind, windlass