Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-01-2009, 12:48   #1

Boat: Pearson 31-2
How to Make an Anchor Bridle

I have been anchoring to one of the cleats and the boat movement is annoying at night. Does anyone know a website that shows how to rig a bridle or have pics that show it? I could fashion a bridle but am unsure how to attach the anchor line to it. Any info would be helpful, thanks.
Aquah0lic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2009, 13:00   #2

This might work for you.

Grab hook, anchor snubber, anchor bridle, anchor chain

You can also use a u-shaped screw shackle around the chain.

Jack
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2009, 13:12   #3

Boat: Med Yachts 62 Trawler
Since the problem is boat movement a bridle may not be the answer. Try placing a stopper on the anchor line outboard of the chock (or bullnose). Then pass the stopper line back to a winch or midships deck cleat. Pay out the anchor line and fasten or heave around on the stopper so that the boat lies partially beam-to the anchor. Envision a triangle where the anchor is at the point of one angle, the bow another angle and the winch is the 3rd angle.

Adjust the stopper to find the best boat angle relative to the wind and swell. This will keep the boat from "sailing around" - caused by the wind and/or waves acting alternately on different sides of the bow. You want to adjust the stopper so that the wind / waves always act on the same side of the bow.

I know what I mean... but am not sure if I have explained it clearly...
Old 15-01-2009, 14:09   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
This might work for you.

Grab hook, anchor snubber, anchor bridle, anchor chain

You can also use a u-shaped screw shackle around the chain.

Jack
Thanks for the pic, Jack. I don't have a chain rode though. I don't know how I would connect the bridle to a nylon rode.
Old 15-01-2009, 14:12   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpj23 View Post
Since the problem is boat movement a bridle may not be the answer. Try placing a stopper on the anchor line outboard of the chock (or bullnose). Then pass the stopper line back to a winch or midships deck cleat. Pay out the anchor line and fasten or heave around on the stopper so that the boat lies partially beam-to the anchor. Envision a triangle where the anchor is at the point of one angle, the bow another angle and the winch is the 3rd angle.

Adjust the stopper to find the best boat angle relative to the wind and swell. This will keep the boat from "sailing around" - caused by the wind and/or waves acting alternately on different sides of the bow. You want to adjust the stopper so that the wind / waves always act on the same side of the bow.

I do understand, Mark. However, wont that cause the boat to roll alot. I'll try it and see. When you say stopper, is that a device you clamp on the anchor line or are you talking about a knot?
Old 15-01-2009, 14:23   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Probably the best way to make a line fast to your anchor rode is with a rolling hitch. Google it and there is a site that will show you how to tie one.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2009, 14:28   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpj23 View Post

I would suggest using a rolling hitch to attach the bridle line to the anchor rode. After letting out sufficient rode and bridle, run the bridle back through a chock and then to the winch. Use nylon dock lines for the bridle, tying as many as necessary.

Yes, this is the same approach taken with sea anchors. See http://sailmagazine.com/fiorentino-mono-sea-anchor.gif

Jack
Old 15-01-2009, 14:30   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
Probably the best way to make a line fast to your anchor rode is with a rolling hitch. Google it and there is a site that will show you how to tie one.
The Rolling Hitch (Taut Line Hitch)

Jack
Old 15-01-2009, 15:21   #9
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38
Are you sure that the problem is with the anchor? A lot of boats, particularly with a fin keel, will sail around on their anchor. The usual solution is to set up a riding or anchor sail. This small scrap of sailcloth, often set on the backstay, may be what you're looking for.

Rich
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2009, 15:28   #10
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
The picture of the chain hook makes it look like the hook goes in the link....

In fact, a chain hook goes between the links. Place the point in the link and you may ruin the chain and have a tough time getting the hook out.

Just a detail that is irrelevant to the originator.
thinwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2009, 05:59   #11

Boat: Med Yachts 62 Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquah0lic View Post
I do understand, Mark. However, wont that cause the boat to roll alot. I'll try it and see. When you say stopper, is that a device you clamp on the anchor line or are you talking about a knot?
Sorry - my old Navy terms have stuck with me. A stopper is in fact a line fixed to another line with a rolling hitch as others have described. The stopper is used to take strain off of the anchor line (or any other tensioned line for that matter). This way you can change the angle of pull as described in this thread. You can also use a stopper to relieve tension on a tensioned line while you move it to another cleat, winch, etc.

The rolling hitch / stopper was the ORIGINAL rope clutch

BTW I think you'll find that by adjusting the angle you'll not increase rolling. The angle does not have to be large in order to stop the bow from sailing around the anchor line. The stabilizing sail others mentioned is also a good way to limit sailing around at anchor.

Good luck with it - let us know what you find worked best for your boat.
Old 16-01-2009, 06:28   #12

Quote:
I have been anchoring to one of the cleats and the boat movement is annoying at night. Does anyone know a website that shows how to rig a bridle or have pics that show it? I could fashion a bridle but am unsure how to attach the anchor line to it. Any info would be helpful, thanks.
You might try anchoring by the stern. Sloops tend to lie more stable by the stern. I've done it and it works great fro my full keel Cape Dory 25D.

Jordan Series Drogue - Mooring and Anchoring

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2009, 08:24   #13

Thanks to all for the great ideas. I'll try a variety of things over the next couple of weeks and post the result.

I'm not too sure about the anchoring from the stern idea though. That contradicts my core sensibility plus my dinghy would bang on the side of the boat all night!
Old 16-01-2009, 18:41   #14
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabo_sailor View Post
The usual solution is to set up a riding or anchor sail. This small scrap of sailcloth, often set on the backstay,
Hi Rich, I have been thinking of that but my boat has slip backstays. I just can't figure a method to make it work and not put more load on the anchor.

Any ideas?

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2009, 07:04   #15
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Perhaps a hybrid solution, if no other solution presents...

Quote:
I'm not too sure about the anchoring from the stern idea though. That contradicts my core sensibility plus my dinghy would bang on the side of the boat all night!
Try the above advise in protected anchoring situations. Many do, and it has the advantage of increased air flow on hot summer nights.

In more expose situations or if thunderstorms are about, place 2 anchors. One can be smaller and on short scope, since it is only to reduce sailing, not to really anchor the boat. Something along the lines of a hamerlock mooring. Or a bahmian moor, but that can be more complicated in practice.

Now that I said "2 anchors" there may be a flood of responses. It seems to be an emotional topic. There are a dozen complications, the most annoying of which is the tendency for the 2 rodes to twist around each other if the boat spins. This is easily prevented by attaching the 2nd anchor rode to the primary rode and not to a cleat. I use a short rode - 50 feet - for the 2nd rode, and since it is only attached to the primary rode and secondary anchor, it cannot twist.
thinwater is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, bridle