Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2013, 13:48   #46

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Re: How to Make a Snubber-Bridle Question

How'd you get a hook on the thimble. Every one I've seen with a thimble requires a shackle too. Gets too heavy and clunks against the bow. I splice direct to the hook, of course it's stainless. I have a spare with a rusty galvanized hook. Took me a long time to decide to pay $16 for a stainless hook.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:14   #47

My Hans Christian came with a snubber of 1/2 inch rope with a chain hook on one end and attached to the bow at the lower bob stay fitting which is at the waterline. Works, but the hook can fall off the chain and I end up having to fish it out with a boat hook
bazzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:55   #48
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazzer View Post
. Works, but the hook can fall off the chain and I end up having to fish it out with a boat hook
To prevent the hook from falling off the chain, loop at least a meter of chain down behind the hook on the rode's standing end. The weight of that weight of chain keeps the hook attached.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:33   #49

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Nice tip, Bash. Thank you.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 02:50   #50
cruiser

Boat: Lightwave, Catamaran, 11.5m (38')

We are trying the recycling of climbing ropes from indoor climbing walls. They tend to be 'short', because artificial walls are not very high, so think 12m-14m, but there are higher walls, so longer ropes. Climbing ropes are 11mm, a double braid, and have around 30%-35% elasticity (they are specifically made to be 'elastic'). Splicing braid is too complicated for me and I simply use a 'scaffold' (I think that's the term) knot onto a bow shackle and then a chain hook. If any of you splicers are passing through Sydney, I'd welcome a lesson (one double braid splice took me about 4 hours!). Being a cat we have a bridle and run the ropes through turning blocks on each bow, then down the side decks to the transom mooring cleats. It all works quite well, but have not tried the climbing rope over 30 knot gusts. We use hose pipe on chafe areas. We find one side then the other takes all the load - because we still swing. So no good thinking you can halve the size because you have 2 ropes - does not work quite like that.

The big advantage, we picked up 6 lengths for free.

Climbing ropes are retired on basis of time, wear on the outer casing of if they have taken a big fall. (Some) climbing walls simply throw them out (ring and ask!). I'm guessing they would make good springs as mooring lines.

We have tried rubber mooring compensators - they only work in low wind ranges, once the wind gets up (when you need a bit of elasticity) they are at full stretch (so a waste of time, money and they are heavy for what they do). I'd guess that rubber mooring compensators become redundant at the same time as you lift all the chain off the seabed, and that takes surprisingly little wind (30m of 8mm chain at 5:1 lifts under a load of about 80kg, in air - so less in water, say 70kg approx). Nylon works almost upto its break point and if you are getting near that its pretty breezy (and I doubt many will experience that level of wind). But any cordage degrades, so carry spares - we had a half inch bridle, hawser laid nylon snap after a couple of years use.

In many anchorages you cannot use mixed chain and nylon rodes, the nylon can wear out overnight (bits of coral rubble are very aggressive), safer to use all chain and a snubber or bridle.

J
JonJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2013, 08:49   #51

Boat: Pearson 303

I am very confused now "snubber or a bride" Hummm!! How about none. Just install this and all your problems are solved no more anchors too..

Regards
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	boat-on-stilts.jpg
Views:	661
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	57947  
Old 26-03-2013, 10:52   #52

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptLinda6pack View Post
I am very confused now "snubber or a bride" Hummm!! How about none. Just install this and all your problems are solved no more anchors too..

Regards
I want one of those anchors. Keeps the bottom clean also.
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2013, 11:18   #53

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 331

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptLinda6pack View Post

Regards

Yes. I have one of these and they work quite well.
Liam Wald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2013, 11:36   #54

Boat: Pearson 303

Hey guy's I think we have a new business.. a Boat Wash Raise up the platform that ether forks or a belted system takes your sailboat out of the water and our little gummy boats go around and clean your bottoms....LOL and echo friendly leaves all sea stuff back into the water. Will call it "The Boat Scrubbie snubber"...