Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-05-2011, 10:26   #1
D2D

Boat: Boatless for Now; former owner of a Robertson & Caine Leopard 47
How Much Scope Was that ?

Hello there.

I am a beginner at sailing/chartering with my family. On our first solo charter, everytime I lowered the anchor with the windlass remote control, I ended up wondering "hum... how much scope did I let out just now, do I need more, was it way too much?" There was no markers on the chain to indicate the length, and sure enough I had a hard time estimating.
Would anyone have tricks to figure out on charter boats how much chain has been let out? (If it was my boat, I would clearly mark the chain every 5 meters or so.)
D2D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 10:44   #2

Boat: Ketch, Hardin 45
Re: How Much Scope Was that ?

On ships we have the Anchor Chain marked every fifteen fathoms. On smaller boats it will depend on the owner. You can decide what and where the marks will be at and be sure to have those marks recorded.
A. To remind you the intervals of the marks
B. To determine which mark will give you the scope of rode you want out.
boasun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 10:46   #3

Boat: Westerly Corsair 36' "Stargazer"

Electrical tie wraps are cheap, don't intefere with the windlas and can be color coded ever odd or even measure. Takes about fifteen minutes to do once you get it laid out on deck.
All the best,
Clif
clifford sloan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 10:52   #4
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

I suspect that a lot of people don't have their anchor rodes marked, or the marks have disappeared over time. They end up just eyeballing the angle that the rode makes from the bow to the water. Or how far away from the bow is the entry of the rode into the water from the bow. Knowing water depth, height of bow and roughly how far from the bow is the water entry one could come up with a rough calculation of how much rode is out. However, I suspect it's more like "Hmmm, that looks like enough" or "that's what it normally looks like". If conditions aren't good they'll just let out some more.

Got to admit, at my usual anchorage, I often pretty much do the same thing. The water there is only about 10 ft deep, add 5 for the bow height and in theory I need roughly 75 ft of chain out for a normal 5:1. I can usually guestimate that watching over the bow roller. If it's blowing I'll add another 30-40 ft. The bottom is sand with no vegetation so holding is excellent. The anchorage is seldom crowded since it is not party central but I go there for the peace and quiet, not to party.
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 11:03   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

You could lay your desired length of rode out on deck, and mark it yourself (tape, tie wrap, etc).

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 12:40   #6

Boat: Hunter 49 - FELA

A foot per second.
Old 05-05-2011, 12:50   #7
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Velero's right for most power-down windlasses, but if it's got a manual down (dump), it can be two or three times that based on our experience with our boat.

Also, to know your scope, it's important to know whether the depth sounder is offset to the keel, the water line, or not at all. Be sure to ask the charter company and add about 5 feet (for most boats) for the distance from the water to the bow roller.

The Boat Galley - making your boat life better with a weekly newsletter, free and low-cost courses, handy references and document organizers
The Boat Galley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 13:26   #8

If you are pulling the rode up by hand the tie wraps are a poor choice . They can cut you hand
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 16:44   #9

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

I would imagine that little stripes of that liquid whipping stuff might work to mark the chain.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 17:53   #10

Boat: grampian 26

After you anchor enough times you get to be pretty good at judging the scope by eyeballing the angle of the rode in relation to the bow.
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 17:56   #11

Boat: Traditional 30

Some people use paint. Its has to be redone regularly, but there is nothing to cut fingers or get crushed in the windlass.
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 18:14   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

If it its a charter boat with unmarked chain then go with a different charter company next time.

Seriously though, time how long it takes to go a certain distance if it is unmarked. This way you don't have to go marking up someone else's property.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 18:35   #13

Boat: Beneteau First 44.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by D2D View Post
Hello there.

I am a beginner at sailing/chartering with my family. On our first solo charter, everytime I lowered the anchor with the windlass remote control, I ended up wondering "hum... how much scope did I let out just now, do I need more, was it way too much?" There was no markers on the chain to indicate the length, and sure enough I had a hard time estimating.
Would anyone have tricks to figure out on charter boats how much chain has been let out? (If it was my boat, I would clearly mark the chain every 5 meters or so.)
On a charter boat you should ask how much chain there is fitted on the boat. Will typically be 50 metres cause they don't want you anchoring in depth more than 10 metres anyway. Don't worry about the depth log. They will set it with offset so there is plenty of water under the boat even when it shows you should be hard aground. Then just two simple sets. If at high tide you are going to anchor in 5 metres or less then have a look at the pile of chain and let out what you estimate as half. If more than 5 meters (but less than 10) let out the lot. If its a deep anchorage there should be enough for a 50 metre swing for everyone. If shallower then probably can afford to be a bit closer. Make sure you set the anchor well . With the weather conditions and anchorages that the charter companies permit you probably wouldn't have an issue just dangling the anchor on the bottom. However it is understood that you want to act and appear competent, think my technique which I use when on a charter with unmarked chain should suffice. What will certainly help is if you have a look at the anchorage when you first arrive, cruise around and have a look at depths and type of bottom and where all the other boats are anchored. Usually charter boats will flock like sheep to anchor exactly on top of the little anchor symbol marked on the cruising guide. Then the next person thinks that must be a good spot cause everyone else is there. So look around, choose a spot YOU figure is going to be nice and be particularly pleasant to and stay a good swinging room clear of any long term cruiser types. They might be totally incompetent themselves but will take great pleasure in watching any anchor carnage from the charters.
frant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2011, 10:47   #14
D2D

Boat: Boatless for Now; former owner of a Robertson & Caine Leopard 47

Thank you so much to all of you. Until I get the experience from practice, I'll go with the electric tie wraps (I had to "google" that to find out what they were! I'm a woman as you might have guessed) - too bad if it is someone else's property. For its sake and my family's, I am going to be a marker.
Good winds to all.
D2D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2011, 10:52   #15

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

Turn the snap ends inward and cut flush. That way they don't cut your hands.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scope