Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-05-2011, 12:25   #16
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Re: How Much Scope Was that ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_billl View Post
Turn the snap ends inward and cut flush. That way they don't cut your hands.
in the original post she mentions using a windlass remote control, so the concern about cutting hands seems minimal here. there's really no reason to cut the tie wraps at all. let the tails dangle, they're easier to see that way, and they'll still go right through the windlass.
Old 13-05-2011, 13:15   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Who's going to mark the chain on a charter boat? Just know how much chain is on board altogether and eyeball the pile of chain in the locker. When in doubt let out more. Simples.
Dockhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2011, 13:42   #18

Boat: Searunner 34 Trimaran

While 5/1 scope is often used by larger boats with heavy chain, on lighter boats like mine, that have had mostly rope rode with a boatlengh of chain, and more recently switched to 110' of 1/4" HT chain, (acts a bit like rope), I always use 7/1 scope, which is considered optimal for the best holding. Scope is measured from the bottom to the bow roller, AT high tide!

I then back down gradually to 3,000+ RPM... the RPM that experience has taught me = 55-60 knots of wind or better, (for my boat). IF the water is clear, and it's daylight, I then dive on the hook to observe the set, or at least use the viewing bucket.

This way, that sudden thunderstorm in the middle of the night, is just a little excitement, rather than a disaster. I see other folks drag ALL THE TIME!

My observation, over 40 years, is that at least 80% of cruisers use too short a scope, and do not back down sufficiently, or have ANY IDEA what level of wind that they are prepared for.

For the other 20%, especially if upwind of me... THANK YOU!

M.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	268.JPG
Views:	200
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	27321  
Mark Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 06:33   #19
D2D

Boat: Boatless for Now; former owner of a Robertson & Caine Leopard 47

I have just been reminded of my middle school geometry:

It can all be determined above the water. Once one stretches out the rode, one determines the ratio of the length of rode seen above the water to the height of the bow above the water. That is the scope. For instance, if there is about 25' of rode and the bow is 5' above water, then the scope is 5 to 1.
D2D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 07:50   #20

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by D2D View Post

It can all be determined above the water. Once one stretches out the rode, one determines the ratio of the length of rode seen above the water to the height of the bow above the water. That is the scope. For instance, if there is about 25' of rode and the bow is 5' above water, then the scope is 5 to 1.
Not real accurate since rode is usually a curve. You can see it easily if you use an anchor bouy. I have seen a liitle difference in the way people back down. I usually pull anchor by hand until I feel it grab, then back down slowely until full rode is out, then rev engine while watching for drag.
Some people I see backup at full throttle coming to a stop with a jerk as rode runs out.... Of course this person took 5 tries to set anchor as the first 4 it popped loose.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 07:55   #21
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:

Not to take issue of middle-school geometry, but this calculus falls apart the moment chain is lying on the bottom.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:46   #22

Boat: Vagabond 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_billl View Post
Turn the snap ends inward and cut flush. That way they don't cut your hands.
Instead of cutting the tail off after making the tie tight just put a pair of pliers up tight to where you would cut it and twist it off. No sharp edge to cut your hand. We do this in the electrical field to avoid cutting our hands and also so it doesn't cut the insulation off any wire that lays against it
captden
captden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 05:45   #23
D2D

Boat: Boatless for Now; former owner of a Robertson & Caine Leopard 47

Just came back from our charter. Used the color-coded fluorescent electric ties... worked fabulous... never slept that well at anchor ! Thank you.
D2D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 06:49   #24

You don't need to cut the tie wraps. Leave them long and you can see them easily from the cockpit. They bend and don't hurt the gypsy. I've done this for years.
Kapena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 01:55   #25

Boat: 1990 Irwin 43 CC

Quote:
Thank you so much to all of you. Until I get the experience from practice, I'll go with the electric tie wraps (I had to "google" that to find out what they were! I'm a woman as you might have guessed) - too bad if it is someone else's property. For its sake and my family's, I am going to be a marker.
Good winds to all.
During ASA cruising instructions we were thought to lay the desired anchor length on the boat by going halfway back on the deck and then forward, which would make the length of the boat.

What I usually do, snce I don't have markers either, is to start a track on the GPS chartplotter. You can pretty easily see how your boat is swinging, and the point where you dropped your ancor. using the pointer I measure the distance. Many GPS units give the length in feet if it is small distances.
waterdancer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scope