Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-03-2007, 18:19   #31
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Tar
As for those who drag in a moderate blow all I can say is **** happens.
Thats not a **** happens, thats poor planning.

Quote:
Anchoring is like running aground. There are only two types of sailors those that have drug anchor and those that are going to. That said all you can try to do is be prepaired. One anchor out and one set to go. Another little tip. Get a bunch of those cheap boat knifes from West MArine. Put one on a lanyard and attach it at every point you might need one. Near the anchor windlas, near the main mast, near the mizzen. When your in trouble the last thing you want to do is fumble about for your knife. Get a cheap GPS. Set the Anchor drag alarm. Keep watch. There is nothing as exciting as waking up on the opposite side of the harbor that you set your anchor on.
Absolutly right there Jack. Mind you I've never used an alarm, I seem to notice the change in the feel of the boat even when asleep.

Quote:
On another note:
Im not going to expand on how I feel about someone making a comment about change if they are just a pond sailor. I have enough experiance under my belt to feel ok handling a 52,000 lb boat. How about you ?
Me? only 30K odd offshore miles and run a company who's job is design and supply of anchoring systems. Personally I think I have more than enuff experiance to say I know what happens when you load the front of a yacht up with oversized gear for that infrequant occasion you get caught in a big blow. I'm also a lot more aware of the new materials and methods you can use to have both a safe sailing yacht and anchor happily in a blow.

With absolutly no intention of being rude, that would not include oversized anchors on hemp rope. But in saying that I also regard one of the most important parts of any anchoring system is the 'feel good factor'. If you don't have it you will always sleep poorly. If that means massive anchors and so on, so be it.

We see it dayly. People wanting massive gear beceause the guy next to them has it or they read it in an old English seamanship manual published in 1920. There are many who seem to run more a 'monkey see, monkey do' programme than sort their own specific boat out. Each and every boat/owner does differant things and works in differant ways so why clone a system off a boat that is 'a lot like mine'?

I've been trialing a very small system on my boat (32ft yacht) for a while now, a lot smaller than the product manufacturers recommend on all of the gear. It's probably at the opposite end of the scale than your thoughts. My entire primary system weights 26kg or 31kg, that's the rope, chain and anchors. I have a 10kg and a 4.5kg alloy (both new gen types) which I swap around to try differant things with. It goes against all (most) current (even though 'current' is still very old) thoery. So far it has been magnificent even in 40-45knts odd with small wave action and 25-30knts with big wave action and strong tidal low. I've yet to experiance any downside while anchored and enjoy the improved safety and performance my boat now has.

Just because 'thats the way it's always been done' doesn't make it right or the best option available today.

PS. I think you'll find Craig has spent many many days well out of site of land as well.
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2007, 18:23   #32
Marine Service Provider

Aw nobody commented on my kitten...
craigsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2007, 19:49   #33

Boat: Sceptre 41
Craig I don't think that wildcat/gypsy would handle more than a pocket watch chain. But using GMac's standard that would only hold a 19 or 20'er.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2007, 20:26   #34
Marine Service Provider

A wildkitten just doesn't seem to do it really

Old 25-03-2007, 21:23   #35

I wouldn't think a 65 Lb anchor was oversized for a Formosa 51. I would say it's about right. We have some fast curents here and a storm can blow up quickly. 35 to 50 Knts isnt uncomon several times a year. The wave action has been enough to stand a few boats on their sturn. Two types of Anchor for various botton composition. Better prepared than sorry, and Angelique carries her load well. We live aboard our boat and chose to be prepared rather than sorry. With 30 thousand miles under your keel you should know better than to insult someones ability by saying perhaps something should change besides his gear. At least thats the way I took it.

Oh OK now I get it. I didn't see the Ronca anchor part of your signature. I watched the video. I noticed the only anchor in the test that was set on a wet sandy area was yours. The rest were set in relative dryer sand areas. LOL sorry my bad. It might be a good anchor but I think the test was biased.
Jack Tar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2007, 00:39   #36
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Tar
I wouldn't think a 65 Lb anchor was oversized for a Formosa 51. I would say it's about right. We have some fast curents here and a storm can blow up quickly. 35 to 50 Knts isnt uncomon several times a year. The wave action has been enough to stand a few boats on their sturn. Two types of Anchor for various botton composition. Better prepared than sorry, and Angelique carries her load well. We live aboard our boat and chose to be prepared rather than sorry. With 30 thousand miles under your keel you should know better than to insult someones ability by saying perhaps something should change besides his gear. At least thats the way I took it.
In no way did I mean anything insulting and I'm very sorry if it came across that way. I blame our school system, they built it two miles passed the yacht club where I kept my boat. On nice days I did tend to have a habit of learning more about sailing than english

I'd agree, with plows at 65lb is not oversized for your vessel, more a good size. You mentioned going up more sizes which was more what I was on about, I don't think you would need to. You have a pretty mighty sized pile of chain as well, I would think that once you've deployed that lot you won't be going very far. I'm still not a fan of manilla though, it's a natural fibre and rots.

There also was an element of 'why do it the old way' and have you looked at other options. There are some very good ones out there which will increase your anchored safety without have a negitive effect on the boat.

Quote:
Oh OK now I get it. I didn't see the Ronca anchor part of your signature. I watched the video. I noticed the only anchor in the test that was set on a wet sandy area was yours. The rest were set in relative dryer sand areas. LOL sorry my bad. It might be a good anchor but I think the test was biased.
Not mine, Craigs
On that bit I don't think Craig would mind me saying that while the video may look like that, it was quite differant in real life. I actualy got to watch them do that (you can just about see my house in the background) and I can say that each and every anchor was pulled exactly the same way and there was no skull duggery i.e ground selection, involved. That video is actually many years old and the pulls were done just for their information. I was surprised to see them use it on the website to be honest. I would have thought a promo video would not have been so rough really. It took them many hours (the website vid is only a tiny bit of the whole lot) so the appearent change in the look of the bottom might be just a sun angle thing or similar. I'll watch the whole thing and see if I can pick up what you mean.

Just previewed this and suspect I might not the the one you mean in your post. Ph Craig on 6060842 - no don't, that's from a B52's song. I don't actually know his number

No I'm not Rocna, I do sell them though along with Spades and Mansons as well.
Old 26-03-2007, 16:45   #37

Ask Craig to send me an anchor and Ill evaluate it under cruising conditions. Sorry I let this stuff get under my skin but I have been stuck here on the boat through a very long winter. I am sorry to have spouted off like that. I do carry a dooms day anchor though. In the event everything else fails. This winter brought 100 Mph winds with short warning. Pujet Sound Can be very nasty. Lets all get out and do what we do best. Sail.
Jack Tar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rode