Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-09-2010, 12:17   #1

How Could I Mount an Electric Windlass ?

Today I the inspected my first of a planned 3 Sweden Yachts 34's and have hit a snag that may take this boat off my shopping list

I want to make the boat as easy to handle when alone and having an electric windlass is a 100% must.

On the 34, the forestay is connected right where I imagine I would need to mount the windlass. Looking at photos of other 34's they have the forestay in the same position.

I guess mounting the windlass to the side of the forestay would cause a number of problem and so to would mounting it of the anchor locker door (with the appropriate bracing of course).

On the similar and newer 340, the forestay is mounted to the tip of the bow, so a windlass can be mounted. Something tells me that moving the forestay would be a risky and/or expensive matter.

It feels like I have come to a dead end unless someone knows of a practical solution???

bugger
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9081.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	274.6 KB
ID:	18863  
hoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 12:27   #2

Hmm. This is not an uncommon problem on this size boat, I believe, because designers assume (right or wrong) that a windlass is unnecessary.

A couple of questions:

1. do you plan an all chain rode or chain/rope?

2. assuming your windlass runs the rode into a chain locker below, what exactly do you plan to use the anchor locker for?

3. do you know whether there is room in the locker to mount the windlass there?
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 12:34   #3

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Take a look at http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tml#post393802 start with Post #22 or so.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 12:42   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
Take a look at http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tml#post393802 start with Post #22 or so.
I just took a quick look. Very impressive work, that I will be referring to when I install my windlass!
Old 01-09-2010, 12:55   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Could a windlass be mounted where the clamshell vent is currently located?

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 13:14   #6

Speedo, ideally I would like it to be all chain.

There is one other problem with this boat which I am unsure if it is boat specific or standard with the 34. In the anchor locker is the gas bottle for the stove. It is "protected" by a fibreglass cover that has a hole to allow you to open or close the valve. It's an ok arrangement for a rope line, but not for chain.

Tomorrow I will be inspecting another 34 (twin forestay version I posted in another thread) and will take a much closer look.

svHyLyte, nice work. I suppose if there is no gas bottle in the locker, then there would probably be nothing stopping me from putting a metal bar across the opening to support a windlass.
Old 01-09-2010, 13:26   #7

Hoppy, on the boat pictured, mounting a windlass on the deck will require a modification to the furling drum. Currently, it's too close to the deck to allow the chain to go to the windlass, unless you can find a windlass that has a gypsy only an inch or two above deck level, which limits you to vertical windlasses only. And then you have the complication of how to lead the chain off the gypsy to a chain locker below.
Old 01-09-2010, 13:28   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Could a windlass be mounted where the clamshell vent is currently located?
I guess it is over the locker still and therefore it may be possible.

Hopefully tomorrow when I look the 2nd yacht I can get a better idea of what is possible.

I do wonder how much it would cost me to get work like this done here. Labour costs are a killer.

There is a boat show on in Stockholm this weekend, although it is a "floating" show mostly for selling new yachts, but maybe I can find someone to talk to about this sort of mods.
Old 01-09-2010, 13:44   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedoo View Post
Hoppy, on the boat pictured, mounting a windlass on the deck will require a modification to the furling drum. Currently, it's too close to the deck to allow the chain to go to the windlass, unless you can find a windlass that has a gypsy only an inch or two above deck level, which limits you to vertical windlasses only. And then you have the complication of how to lead the chain off the gypsy to a chain locker below.
Do you mean something like this? Whitworths Marine: Muir Storm VR1250 Electric Windlass
Old 01-09-2010, 23:45   #10

I just found a post by a Norwegian Comfort 34 owner (which I believe is the same boat) on a Swedish forum referring to a vertical windlass he had installed.

I decided to write in the hope of hearing how he set-up his.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:22   #11

Boat: Seafarer 30 Impetuous
Although my boat has less distance, from the clamshell vent to the furthest point of the bow, I did exactly what Gord suggested, and mounted it where the clamshell vent was. In fact, I only had to cut 1/2" or so around the permitter, plus a 2nd hole ahead, for the chain to fall through. Chain / rope falls nicely into locker (you may need to move your propane bottle!)
I used a Maxwell vertical windlass, which keeps the chain / rope low enough to not interfere with my furler drum.
As your roller (and anchor) would be mounted ahead of the furler drum, you could likely just bolt down a small upside down U bolt or something, to keep the chain from bouncing up near the drum, if needed.

I would look closely at which side the chain exits most vertical windlasses, and then mock up a cardboard pattern of a few windlasses, and a long roller, and see how it fits, to one side or the other, of the drum, in order to make the chain run straight from the windlass opening to the roller.

I screwed up, and initially mounted my roller to exit on the starboard side of the furler drum, only to then align the windlass and realize that as the chain came out of the starboard side of the windlass, it aligned much better to the roller, if the windlass was turned counter-clockwise a bit, and the roller was installed to exit the bow on the port side of the furler drum.
Pics below are before moving roller to the port side.
Works well, and am happy with the install.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1133.JPG
Views:	167
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	18950   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1138.JPG
Views:	171
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	18951  

Northeaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 09:27   #12

Just noticed you already have a built in roller, so you would have to see if you can get a windlass to align well with it.
Or, install another roller, which aligns better with a windlass, and leave that one there, with a backup anchor if you like.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:43   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
Yes, something like that could work in your case with an all chain rode if everything fit. But I don't know what their "Rope Chain Management System" is.

I personally have a preference for horizontal windlasses, but you'd have to raise your furling drum on the forestay to use one.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:55   #14
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
It feels like I have come to a dead end unless someone knows of a practical solution???
You could install a wooden sampson post or a vertically oriented roller to redirect the rode a few degrees as required to a windlass installed off-center either farther back on the deck or on the hatch if you are prepared to muck around practically re-building it. Alternatively rip the anchor platform off and design something sensible to replace it. See below.

I don't like the anchor arrangement, it's sadly typical of a lot of boat designers these days who prefer a 'clean' look at the total sacrifice of practicality. The platform roller arrangement is a pain (how will you remove the anchor easily if not at dock?) and restricts the anchor types that will suit. No anchor windlass because that would look silly. It looks like a Bruce style anchor, correct me if I'm wrong, and of course it can't be a genuine Bruce cos there's no such thing anymore, which means they're prepared to install a cheap knock-off as a safety device which is prominently displayed on the bow...
craigsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 13:16   #15

A pic of the inside of the anchor locker, with the locker "doors" open, looking to the stern would go along way! Maybe take a few different angles / views.

Hard to tell if the chain would fall cleanly from the clamshell area, without seeing the inside of the locker.

per Craig's idea, it doesn't look like that much work (it's all relative) to remove, or cut out the existing roller (and surrounding boards) and bolt or weld it, or a new one in, at an angle and depth that would better suit a windlass.