Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2009, 13:11   #1

Home Made Mooring Ball Recommendations?

Last summer someone decided he/she needed my mooring ball more than I did. Actually, the person took the pennant and the upper length of chain as well as the ball from my mooring. Needless to say I was pretty miffed; I couldn't go for a sail until I had something to keep the chain up. I guess I shouldn't complain too much as he/she was decent enough to re-attach my boat to the upper swivel. Being a cheap bastard I was reluctant to buy a new ball as they are around $125 plus tax and, evidently, can disappear a wee bit too easily.

Now, when it comes to mooring balls here in Maryland, the requirements specified by the local authorities are fairly liberal. As long as the top is white and it has a blue stripe at the waterline it is acceptable. I've seen people use beer kegs and someone else admitted to using a propane tank (presumably empty). I didn't like either of those solutions as they aren't friendly to hulls.

I came up with an alternative short term solution. I found a 14" tire on an aluminum rim, spray painted it white with some sort of plasticote to protect it from the sun's rays and to create a better airtight seal, and mounted two stainless eye bolts on the rim to receive the chain and a new pennant. Total cost: about $10.00.

It worked so well that, with no better replacement come last November, I tied a few airtight jugs to the rim for an added bit of insurance over the winter. It's March now and, with a pair of binocs, I can see from shore the whole thing is doing fine. But I worry someone's prop might slice the tire or, over time, it will deflate.

Right now I'm thinking of filling a plastic storage container with blue or pink hardware store foam and leading a secured length of chain through the middle. The bottom end can be shackled to the upper mooring chain and the top end can be shackled to a pennant. But I'm not sure how long that kind of foam will hold together and remain bouyant. I'd like to hear if anyone has dealt with this issue and come up with a better solution.

Many Thanks,

Mike
Howaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 01:03   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Years ago we made one with two tires (no rims)
Stacked them on top of each other then bolted the two beads together.
A round piece of **** plywood on each end and a galv anchor bolt that they use to guy power poles sticking out the centers of the plys....then filled with polyurethane.
It was meant to last a year while I was on Guam....lasted 6.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2009, 20:51   #3
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howaya View Post
Now, when it comes to mooring balls here in Maryland, the requirements specified by the local authorities are fairly liberal. As long as the top is white and it has a blue stripe at the waterline it is acceptable. I've seen people use beer kegs and someone else admitted to using a propane tank (presumably empty). I didn't like either of those solutions as they aren't friendly to hulls.
By the way, where can I find MD mooring regs on the net? I have been looking, but have not found them.

Thanks
Old 15-03-2009, 01:24   #4

Boat: 1973 Morgan 36T
Quote:
By the way, where can I find MD mooring regs on the net? I have been looking, but have not found them.
Here is a start :

Single Recreational Mooring Buoys
Morgan Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2009, 02:28   #5
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
My mooring ball is the cement shoes of the ex.

OK I jest.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2009, 05:30   #6
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida

Mark are you for hire?
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2009, 06:55   #7
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Thanks Howaya!

I had spent hours looking for that! Turned over all the wrong rocks.

Tags
mooring