Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2009, 13:10   #16

I recommend all chain rode with a stretchy nylon snubber. You won't have problems with rope chain splices and rope not dropping properly in your locker.

We have 200' and end for end it every 5 years and have replaced it at 10.

We have a second rope and chain rode set up with a bruce anchor.

Our windlass is vertical and has a rope gypsy which allows us to use it to send a person aloft.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 13:12   #17

Boat: Privilege 37
A lot of cats use a chain and rope system, 3 strand nylon is a pain in the chain locker because it doesnt fold neetly, however 8 plait (or octoplait as it is known in UK) is MUCH nicer to handle, and well worth the additional cash. It rolls up easily and takes up significantly less space whilst also being much less prone to tangles.

But the most important reason for using octoplait instead of 3 strand, is what happens when excessive strain comes on the line, and then releases quickly. 3 strand can sometime twist itself up in knots, and put a knuckle in one of the strands, because it just cant cope with the tension being released suddenly and the natural tendency to unwind when under tension is replaced by an attempt to spring back into shape. This knuckle is very difficult to remove, will jam in the gypsy, and even more important - significantly weakens the rope.

This does not happen with octoplait.
Old 05-08-2009, 13:17   #18
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
When it comes time to replace the rope rode I will get octoplait. All my dock lines were octoplait, and I just recently replaced them with the same. It does lay, and fold nicely......i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 14:59   #19

Boat: Bristol 38.8
I will take a picture tomorrow or at least include one from the users manual, which is on the boat. As for getting the rode down into the chain locker, it's the least of my problems. Sometimes it will pile up at the bottom of the pipe, but it's no big deal to clear that.

Maybe 60 ft. of chain wouldn't be a bad idea. It wouldn't add that much extra weight. Besides, where I typically anchor (in protected but very crowded anchorages) scope is a PITA, especially when the guy next to you lets out too much and his boat starts to swing in your direction.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 04:16   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
wow, surprised there are so many actually using rope to chain systems. I never believed they would ever work and always had all chain. What happens to the rope after it goes below? It doesnt just pile up and jam?
Like I2F mentioned about needing the rope for 50+ knots, my rope/chain splice is 180 feet away from the anchor.
Old 06-08-2009, 20:19   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain465 View Post
I believe that 7/16 for a rode is a bit light....also I have never heard of 7/16 chain. Are you sure of the dimensions? I would guess that 1/4 chain would be the correct size for your boat, but if the gypsy likes what I think is 5/16 chain, so be it. I would also venture to say that the rode is 1/2, maybe it's been over stressed from some hard use, and has reduced it's effective diameter. (I am assuming that it is three strand). If that is the case, new rode would probably correct the problem.
just my .02
Yes, you were right about the setup. It is a Lewmar Ocean winch. The chain is 5/16 and the rode is 1/2 inch three strand. The rode looks like it is in decent condition, however. I'm going to play with it a bit more to see if I can get the rope to engage. If that fails, I plan to replace the rode with 8-ply, and I'm wondering if going to 9/16 might help.
Old 08-08-2009, 09:08   #22
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
I had a similar problem. The gypsy was simply a little worn and would not grab.

I find that if I grab the rope to create some load while the rope is running, the rope stays in the gypsy. While running, it does not require much tension - just enough to keep it in the teeth. A sharp yank is needed at the start to set the rope in the gypsy.

It seems that while chain has enough mass to pull the chain into the teeth, rope does not, with only a 1/2 turn on the drum.

Experiment. The rope has to be just right and a new gypsy will help. Worn 3-strand gets fatter and does not set properly in the teeth. I found that cutting off the 25' near the chain splice (most worn) helped.
Old 09-08-2009, 14:44   #23

Many thanks for everyone's advice but I believe I have solved it. My problem, alas, was operator error. The gear is fine.

1. I needed to tighten the gypsy. It was too loose.
2. I put more tension on the rode. Instead of motoring forward, I let the winch do the work initially. This helped the rope catch into the gypsy. Then when the rode was taut I brought it up slowly while my spouse inched forward with the engine. Both the rode and the chain came up smoothly and fell nicely into the chain locker.

If I can replicate that a few times, I'll consider the issue resolved.