Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-05-2020, 15:16   #1

Help removing pin for brass bow roller

I have an ‘86 Ericson 30 with a bronze bow roller mounted in an aluminum (?) housing. The roller itself is distorted so that one of the side faces is warped enough that the roller doesn’t roll easily because it gets wedged against the inside of the side of the housing. I can force it around with a wrench. The roller is held in place with a pin - also appears to be bronze - that has a small amount of side to side play but it but doesn’t project beyond the housing itself.

I can’t figure out how to get the pin out to remove and repair or replace the roller. I’ve tried tapping it out from both sides but it doesn’t budge. I tried to see if it somehow unscrews as it does rotate freely. That doesn’t work either.

I can’t seem to find a new version of this to examine.

Makes it very difficult to raise anchor.

Has anyone had any experience with this kind of hardware? Looking for a way to disassemble without having to try to cut it out.

Thanks,

Mike
sailingdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2020, 16:23   #2

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Help removing pin for brass bow roller

Some photos, including close-ups would help a lot.

Jim
Old 25-05-2020, 16:37   #3

Boat: Bruce Roberts Spray, 36' Steel Junk-Rigged Schooner

Yea, photos would be great, although personally my next move would be to try a butane torch to loosen things up a bit. Bronze expands at the same rate as steel - https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/l...ents-d_95.html
But the part is smaller, and softer, so if you can heat the bronze up it may move more easily once it cools down after being squashed up against the steel.
Old 25-05-2020, 17:13   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captn_Black View Post
Yea, photos would be great, although personally my next move would be to try a butane torch to loosen things up a bit. Bronze expands at the same rate as steel - https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/l...ents-d_95.html
But the part is smaller, and softer, so if you can heat the bronze up it may move more easily once it cools down after being squashed up against the steel.
Edit - Brass and bronze I mean, sorry. But yea, I would try some heat.
Old 25-05-2020, 17:35   #5

Can’t get back to the boat for a few more days but here’s a drawing that describes what is going on.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0028.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	290.9 KB
ID:	215798
sailingdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2020, 17:44   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdoc View Post
Can’t get back to the boat for a few more days but here’s a drawing that describes what is going on.Attachment 215798
Given the materials used, they probably made it with a press-fit. You're going to have to use a similar method to get it out. Without using a tool shop it could be done aboard by using a good c clamp. Build a "bridge" over the pin on one side, to allow it to be pressed out, one end of the clamp sits on top of the bridge, so it must be suitably strong, 1 1/2" wood should do. The the other end of the clamp will be over the other end of the pin. Cut a suitable sized piece of SS bar to go between the clamp and the pin, so the the bar pushes it out as you clamp it down. In the later stages of the process you could offset the clamp a bit and add a longer piece of bar to allow it to be pushed all the way through.
Old 25-05-2020, 17:48   #7
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Can’t get back to the boat for a few more days but here’s a drawing that describes what is going on.Attachment 215798
Quote:
....... The roller is held in place with a pin - also appears to be bronze - that has a small amount of side to side play but it but doesn’t project beyond the housing itself.

I can’t figure out how to get the pin out to remove and repair or replace the roller. I’ve tried tapping it out from both sides but it doesn’t budge. I tried to see if it somehow unscrews as it does rotate freely. That doesn’t work either.

Has anyone had any experience with this kind of hardware? Looking for a way to disassemble without having to try to cut it out.

Thanks,

Mike
Just to be sure - the pin has some side play meaning it is moving within the side cheeks of the housing yet the pin does not protrude from the cheeks????

Normally it should have some retaining mechanism otherwise it would move out on it's own accord in normal use.

It is doesn't have any retaining mechanism then I think the cheeks must hold it in place which means the cheeks must be able to be split apart ????

Or has something broken off and the pin is bent which is preventing it's removal??
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2020, 17:52   #8

However, my 2 cents is that none of those materials are suitable for a bow roller. Buy a stainless steel one.
Old 25-05-2020, 17:53   #9
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Given the materials used, they probably made it with a press-fit. You're going to have to use a similar method to get it out. Without using a tool shop it could be done aboard by using a good c clamp. Build a "bridge" over the pin on one side, to allow it to be pressed out, one end of the clamp sits on top of the bridge, so it must be suitably strong, 1" wood should do. The the other end of the clamp will be over the other end of the pin. Cut a suitable sized piece of SS bar to go between the clamp and the pin, so the the bar pushes it out as you clamp it down. In the later stages of the process you could offset the clamp a bit and add a longer piece of bar to allow it to be pushed all the way through.
Hmm... if it was a press fit when new, it is going to be a super massive press fit now given the materials (Al) of the housing and brass/bronze pin.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2020, 17:56   #10

You could also just drill the pin out and replace it with a nice big part-threaded ss bolt. Would make it stronger too.
Old 25-05-2020, 17:57   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Hmm... if it was a press fit when new, it is going to be a super massive press fit now given the materials (Al) of the housing and brass/bronze pin.
Aye, might as well be welded by now.
Old 25-05-2020, 23:27   #12

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
You could also just drill the pin out and replace it with a nice big part-threaded ss bolt. Would make it stronger too.
This is likely the only way towards success. If you do this, make sure to drill a small hole down the axis of the pin and an intersecting one to the surface of the pin... and put a Zerk fitting in the end. Being able to easily lube this bearing is a big help in maintaining free rolling and easy anchoing.

Jim
Old 25-05-2020, 23:38   #13

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Your diagram shows the roller binding at the top of the fitting, for a quick and dirty temporary or short term fix can you "convince" the cheeks of the fitting to open up a little and prevent the binding ?
Long term I think I can see a new roller assembly in your future.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2020, 02:55   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
This is likely the only way towards success. If you do this, make sure to drill a small hole down the axis of the pin and an intersecting one to the surface of the pin... and put a Zerk fitting in the end. Being able to easily lube this bearing is a big help in maintaining free rolling and easy anchoing.

Jim
Agreed. And I think it is a waste of time trying to do it en-situ, better to have it clamped to a bench so he can better eyeball the drilling angle. Assuming he doesn't have a drill-press. I'm assuming I don't need to state the importance of a punch for centering the initial hole.
Old 26-05-2020, 03:42   #15

Boat: Boden 36 Triple chine long keel steel, named Nekeyah

It is possible that the axle was slid into place and retained with some kind of anaerobic locker. If this is the case and you heat it enough it may just tap out with a drift.
Alternatively, is there a grub screw somewhere in the roller that may be hidden by crud?
boden36 is offline   Reply With Quote