Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-10-2018, 10:40   #1

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 42F
grade my anchor setup

we have recently purchased a hallberg-Rassy 42F

It has quite an extensive anchor portfolio:

55lb Delta anchor with 220' 10mm chain 2015
Fortress FX35 with 200' 7/8" rode
Luke 65lb fisherman anchor with 300' 1" nylon rode
Second bow roller (not yet installed)
33lb Bruce type secondary anchor for other bow roller

On the other hand it does not sim to have this single big anchor that everyone says is better than any tandem system.

What do you think? Shall I add a 55 kg Rocna to my santa list (maybe trying to sell/trade one or two of the Luke, Fortress, Bruce set), or shall I wait to see how happy I am with the 55lb Delta as main anchor?

We are planning to start in Caribbeans, later moving north along the East Coast, and possibly jumping to Northern Europe in 2020.
pskudlarski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2018, 12:19   #2

Boat: Sweden Yachts
Re: grade my anchor setup

Congratulations, pskudlarski! It´s a beautiful, safe and comfortable boat.

I would definitely keep the Fortress. The FX 37 is a handy kedge anchor. I´d try to get rid of the delta, fisherman and the undersized Bruce type, though. The delta proved to be unreliable on those occasions I was forced to use one. The fisherman is just obsolete. You are not going to anchor in coral, so why drag this dinosaur around the world? Your bruce is undersized, and I guess it´s not an original Bruce since you call it a bruce type. I would give it away to someone sailing a 26 footer on a tight budget.

Your HR 42 Frers mk I is listed to 12500 kg dry weight. With 420 litres of diesel, 685 litres of water, tools, spare parts and all your inventory, I guess you are closer to 15 or 16 tons. (My Swedish boat displaces 2,5 tons more dry, than listed in the spec. Just sayin..)

Since you ask for the right Rocna model, I´ll refer to their sizing guide, which suggests the 25 kg anchor for a 12 meter, 18 ton vessel, or a 14 meter 13 ton vessel. You are right in the middle of these two vessels, hence the Rocna recommendation is the 25 kg model. For a good nights sleep, I would upgrade at least one size to the 33 kg/ 73lb model. I had one of those a few seasons, and I can testify it´s a great hook. Never dragged. My 40 current kg also gives peace of mind. Can´t go wrong with one of those. Make sure to get a good certified shackle when installing your new hook.

BTW, I would also check out the Mantus or some of the other new generation anchors before ordering the Rocna. They are all in the market for a reason. Use enough scope and a long snubber, (and preferably the model one size larger than recommended) and you´ll be fine.

Happy anchoring,
-kjetil-
-bliss- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2018, 14:04   #3

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
grade my anchor setup

I would keep the Delta as a backup stored below. It’s the right size or a bit small for offshore.

Keep the Fortress, it’s the anchor that will hold the best in soft sand or mud. It is sized appropriately.

I might keep the Bruce. Depends on storage space. Alternatively it could be a stern anchor.

I would keep the Luke. It is the best anchor for rocks, coral and heavy weed bottoms. It would be small as a storm anchor but in normal situations would be fine.

For a primary I would get a 55lb Spade anchor. Second choice for primary would be a Mantus 55lb. One of the members here did a series of underwater videos of new generation anchors setting and resetting. His pick was Spade. I vaguely recall that Mantus was his second pick. My take is that all the NewGen anchors have similar holding strengths but characteristics of setting and resetting vary significantly.

For your rode 10mm chain and 1” & 7/8” nylon should be just fine for size.

The next question is do you want to stay with all chain on the main rode? If so the you want to get a nylon snubber for really high load situations where catenary isn’t enough of a shock absorber.

If it were me I’d cut 100’ of chain off the main bower and add 200’ of nylon. The cut off 100’ would go into storage below with the Delta.

I’d put 50-75’ of chain on the Fortress then the existing line.

I’d put 100-120’ of chain on the Luke, it’s use in rock or coral will be aided by the chafe resistance of chain. In weed the weight of the chain will help. The existing line would remain between boat and chain.

I would put another 200-300’ of line in storage below for backup.

I assume you have a windlass. Put a chain stopper between it and the bow roller for the main bower. Windlasses as not meant to take anchoring loads, they are meant to pull the anchor up only.

You could mount the second roller on the bow, I’d put it on the stern for the stern anchor.

Cleats. You need lots of oversized cleat. I would put 2 one either side of the bow and a 3rd centered a bit aft of the other 2. I would put cleats amidships and 1 at each corner of the stern. I would put big 1” thick plywood backing plates under each cleat with fender washers under each nut. I would do the same for the chain stopper.

The main bower should probably have a swivel. Specifically you should have anchor, shackle, swivel and the chain. The shackle between the anchor and swivel prevents loading up the swivel in bending which it’s not designed for.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2018, 14:19   #4

Boat: Devlin 48 Moon River & Marshal Catboat

With anchors a lot depends on where and how you use it. As already said the Fortress a great sand and mud anchor if properly set. I personally would ditch the others in favor of a Spade- Roncka-Ultra or other modern deep digging all around use anchor as my primary with fortress as the back up. Just my experience talking with 60+ years of extensive gunkholing with many different anchors in varied bottoms East Coast PNW and Virgin islands I have Ultra-Spade and Fortress on my present boat.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2018, 14:51   #5

Boat: Valiant 40
grade my anchor setup

I had a 20kg Rocna on my 16 ton (loaded) Valiant and upgraded to a 25kg just out of precaution as I’m heading out and not coming back. The 20kg never dragged despite some challenging situations. The 25kg has not dragged and furthermore has “allowed” me to be a little more liberal in my practices, such as 3:1 scope in bad holding with big current shifts and strong fronts pinwheeling the boat. It can be difficult to break out once it digs in.

All that is to say that I think the 70lb. Model is overkill for your boat, but it depends on your plans. Another 20lbs on the bow is not a big deal but consider manageability.

I for one like all chain for my bower anchor. I have 275’ of 5/16” G4 and rarely anchor in more than 30’. It’s nice to be able to just let more out when you need to. I have several snubbers of varying width, all 35’ long. It’s tempting to have a short one out of convenience for when it’s calm, but stuff happens and trying to swap snubbers in 30 knots and brisk chop is no fun.

I’d ditch the Luke and Bruce, put the fortress on your stern push pit on a bracket and stow the delta below as a backup. I would not keep two anchors on the bow.
Old 24-10-2018, 15:06   #6

Boat: Cape Dory 28 (Sold Nov 2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pskudlarski View Post
we have recently purchased a hallberg-Rassy 42Fb ... It has quite an extensive anchor portfolio ... What do you think? ...
Here's what I think: To exapand your circle of friends here, start an anchor thread. Seldom fails, although the ultimate benefit is yet to be determined.
Old 24-10-2018, 17:58   #7

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 42F

"To expand your circle of friends here, start an anchor thread." You saw through it Sherlock, and I thought I was so crafty ;-).

But honestly, thanks a lot for all the advice, I will take them to account. The new (but not 50 kg) anchor will be in my future, I am not sure about putting the bow roller on the stern though. Maybe to reduce weight of two anchors on the bow I will replace the all chain rode to a mix or rope and chain combination?

We do have windlass, but thanks for pointing out the need for a chain stopper!
pskudlarski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2018, 18:10   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

Lose the Bruce and Delta--they are decorative at best. Secure a Manson Supreme/Rocna/ Mantus (does anyone else think the Mantus looks kind of stupid with those sticky-out tabs?), or my favorite of all, a Spade.
Install the second bow roller for when you want to use the Fortress or Luke as a kedge.
Avoid swivels of any sort at all times.
Mouse your shackles.
Old 24-10-2018, 18:56   #9

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46

The Luke (with a trip line) really rocks [emoji1] when the bottom is nothing but a pile of jumbled boulders.
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2018, 19:39   #10

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

My 2 cent's worth, lose the delta and bruce, keep the other two and replace the delta with a sarca excell or a spade. Check out the video's of anchors setting put together by Steve of SV Panope. Much good information to be gleaned there.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2018, 19:40   #11

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfelsent View Post
The Luke (with a trip line) really rocks [emoji1] when the bottom is nothing but a pile of jumbled boulders.
Which puts in the category of rarely, if ever, used on a cruising boat. Hard to justify the space or weight.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2018, 22:42   #12

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Which puts in the category of rarely, if ever, used on a cruising boat. Hard to justify the space or weight.
True, one seldom anchors in rock bottoms. However, coral rubble is a common feature in the tropics, and heavy weed can pop up anywhere, and the Fisherman style (Luke or Herreshchoff or whatever one chooses to call it!) is one of the few styles that have much luck in these bottoms. I'd keep the Luke, probably disassembled in the bilge, dump the small Bruce and the Delta and buy an appropriate sized modern anchor... whichever style catches your eye and fits your bow. Someday you will find yourself glad that your ole antique hook is languishing down below!

Arguing about which of the modern anchors is best is a waste of time and effort. They are all pretty good and each has some special feature that works especially well in some circumstances. Lots of happy owners for every design...

Jim
Old 25-10-2018, 05:35   #13

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyschulman View Post
As already said the Fortress a great sand and mud anchor if properly set. I personally would ditch the others in favor of a Spade- Roncka-Ultra or other modern deep digging all around use anchor as my primary with fortress as the back up.

I'd also add SuperMAX to that list of newer anchors to consider, too...

-Chris
Old 25-10-2018, 06:17   #14

Boat: Valiant 40

I just looked up the price of a Luke. A pretty penny. Stow it dissembled in the bilge. You won’t get much for it selling it and someday might be glad you have it.

I agree with Jim...buy whatever new gen anchor you like the look of and that fits your bow. They all work well.
Old 25-10-2018, 09:13   #15

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
I would keep the Delta as a backup stored below. It’s the right size or a bit small for offshore.

Keep the Fortress, it’s the anchor that will hold the best in soft sand or mud. It is sized appropriately.

I might keep the Bruce. Depends on storage space. Alternatively it could be a stern anchor.

I would keep the Luke. It is the best anchor for rocks, coral and heavy weed bottoms. It would be small as a storm anchor but in normal situations would be fine.

For a primary I would get a 55lb Spade anchor. Second choice for primary would be a Mantus 55lb. One of the members here did a series of underwater videos of new generation anchors setting and resetting. His pick was Spade. I vaguely recall that Mantus was his second pick. My take is that all the NewGen anchors have similar holding strengths but characteristics of setting and resetting vary significantly.

For your rode 10mm chain and 1” & 7/8” nylon should be just fine for size.

The next question is do you want to stay with all chain on the main rode? If so the you want to get a nylon snubber for really high load situations where catenary isn’t enough of a shock absorber.

If it were me I’d cut 100’ of chain off the main bower and add 200’ of nylon. The cut off 100’ would go into storage below with the Delta.

I’d put 50-75’ of chain on the Fortress then the existing line.

I’d put 100-120’ of chain on the Luke, it’s use in rock or coral will be aided by the chafe resistance of chain. In weed the weight of the chain will help. The existing line would remain between boat and chain.

I would put another 200-300’ of line in storage below for backup.

I assume you have a windlass. Put a chain stopper between it and the bow roller for the main bower. Windlasses as not meant to take anchoring loads, they are meant to pull the anchor up only.

You could mount the second roller on the bow, I’d put it on the stern for the stern anchor.

Cleats. You need lots of oversized cleat. I would put 2 one either side of the bow and a 3rd centered a bit aft of the other 2. I would put cleats amidships and 1 at each corner of the stern. I would put big 1” thick plywood backing plates under each cleat with fender washers under each nut. I would do the same for the chain stopper.

The main bower should probably have a swivel. Specifically you should have anchor, shackle, swivel and the chain. The shackle between the anchor and swivel prevents loading up the swivel in bending which it’s not designed for.

Good stuff, although I question the swivel as a potential weak point as they are not, IMO, all made equal. I would consider the 66 lb/30 kilo SPADE as a main. In fact, I did. We have this on 3/8"/10 mm equivalent chain, plus a FX-37 for a secondary and an FX-21 for a stern anchor. It's a step up from the not-great 45 lb. CQR.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor