Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-03-2011, 04:20   #16
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: Got a New Anchor

I may just tke the old Delta off the boat or stow in in the deep dark hole of locker. Since the 60 lb Mnson Supreme is on the windlass it will alwys be the anchor used, even for a 30 minute lunch stop (I never stop just for lunch really).

And while I find merit in comments about upgrading on the thread I don't really feel it is correct to be overly critical of people not using huge anchor because the winch/wrench/wench can not handle it. While moving up a size in an anchor isn't that expensive, not everyone can afford the windlass to handle it.
sailorboy1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2011, 04:59   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
And while I find merit in comments about upgrading on the thread I don't really feel it is correct to be overly critical of people not using huge anchor because the winch/wrench/wench can not handle it. While moving up a size in an anchor isn't that expensive, not everyone can afford the windlass to handle it.
I agree and on a 31 foot yacht an electric winch to replace our manual one is a long way down the priority list and not really needed, as a 31 foot boat needs about 10kg of anchor.

As Sara points out, it might not be the man pulling up the chain. Perhaps instead of saying "light" or "lunch" if we said "working anchor" that will perform well enough in most conditions. Then have a big boy as a back up. We have 10kg Delta on the bow and a FX23 down below.

This works for us, because we are not going to be anchoring in a hurricane and a working size anchor means it is easy to handle, often.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2011, 07:18   #18

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

There's a wide range of winches able to handle 35-75 lbs. of anchor that are both manual and electric. My Lofrans Tigre (a 1200 watt model) is in that range. My preference is to use the manual first, and to "save" the electric for fast getaways or the full deployment of chain.

The manual obviously takes longer, but it's a good bit of exercise and it allows you to clean the rode with the other arm as it comes aboard. Frankly, if you are in a hurry, you shouldn't have picked sailing as a lifestyle, because time and time again I see that expecting speed instead of deliberation in working the boat leads to errors and problems.

Except for tacking. I can't bear a lubberly tack!
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2011, 08:13   #19

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

I agree with all who avoid so called lunch hooks. If I drop an anchor, I want it to hold. On Delta--- my older 55# Delta now resides in my basement. My 40' Silverton now uses a new 88# Delta attached to an all chain (5/16HT) rode. I firmly believe that anchors should be oversized for safety but many others think differently. Final comment--- if you're using an all chain rode, you should consider a swivel. In the past I had trouble setting anchors because the chain was badly twisted. But again, others disagreed with that premise; I use a swivel.

Foggy
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2011, 08:25   #20

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

No matter what anyone says...when, where, and how you anchor has more to do with holding than anchor size...right up until you get to the rediculous.

Lunch hooks are only a dirty word if used inappropriately...as the old saying goes..."you gotta be smarter than the gear/tool you are using".

When leaving your boat or sacking out...not doubt the best gear you've got is the best choice.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2011, 09:12   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

Real world? I have sat out 75kts on a FX-37 Fortress in August 2005 in Key West in a 28 Bertram (Hurr Katrina)

My current boat is a CAL28 I have a 25#bronze CQR type anchor, an FX-37(same anchor from 2005), a grapnel, and a smaller Guardian aboard.

The Guardian is rigged to the stern and is my "lunch hook". The CQR is there 90% for show, just because it looks cool. The Fortress is my go-to anchor for most conditions... at 21# with the holding of a 85# CQR in mud and sand (90% of the bottom where I cruise) it can't be beat. The grapnel is my go-to for rock and wrecks.

I have bent the Fortress several times... mostly just the tip of a fluke on a rock... The damaged part has always been replaced by Fortress for free.

Before all of the aluminum anchor haters flame me, take notice of the size anchor I am using on a 28' boat... the manufacturer recommends an anchor 3 sizes smaller for my boat! To the OP: Get the biggest anchor you can handle on your boat; I guarantee that one day you will be glad you did!
Old 25-03-2011, 10:02   #22

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by capngeo View Post
....I have a 25#bronze CQR type anchor....
I have seen them before, man what a nice piece of metal. Got a picture?
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2011, 10:08   #23
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida

I also got a new anchor-this week-(repeat from other thread)-About 20 years ago I bought a Fortress and ruined it by getting it caught in a Bahamas reef then powering the boat in a circle to the point it snapped off my bow pulpit and bent the anchor badly- I then took a sledge hammer to try and unbend it, this made matters worse- it’s been sitting around my place ever since- that’s more than 17 years not being used, I did not want to toss it- On one of the other CF threads I found out that the Anchor was still under warranty after 20 years , and even though it was clearly my fault at ruining this Fortress Anchor the factory Rep “Brian” said send in a picture so we can see what you have, so I did and they replaced it happily, I live nearby so I just drove to the factory and gave me the grand tour of the vacuity(Ft Lauderdale) and an education while I was there-They also said I need not drive there they will send it to me in the mail for something like $10-15- I have a Spade & Manson Supreme also , all 3 of these anchors are about as good as you can get,
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2011, 16:44   #24

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Make sure and post about your experiences with the new anchor! Real life experience is a great antidote to all the b*llsh*t which we here from the vendors.

I have very good experiences with Spade and Rocna. I suppose that the Manson is pretty much the same. But I will be very interested in hearing your real life experiences.
OK Dockhead, here is another real life experience:

Boat: 46' performance type circa 11 tonnes loaded displacement.

Situation: full time cruising, anchoring out 95% of time.

Locations: East coast Oz, Lizard Is in north Qld to Port Davey in TAsmania, All around New Caledonia, All around Vanuatu.

Ground tackle: Manson Supreme 60 lb, 85 metres of 10 mm short link chain
Weather conditions: calm to near hurricane forces... typical cruising situation.

Bottom types: everything except rock or very heavy weed... we avoid rocky and weedy anchorages.

Method: Lay out circa 3x depth. Back down gently, then when chain is straight, apply considerable power for at least one minute. If no slippage is noted using visual ranges, consider it done. If adverse conditions are anticipated, veer more chain as required.

Results: One case of dragging -- in Clarence River NSW, during flood. Huge mass of debris built up on chain and bow. Eventually the 6-8 knot current pushed us slowly downstream. Bottom was typical river silt... pretty soft. No other dragging in the 5 years we've had the anchor. Had it regalvanised after 4 years.

We're satisfied with this anchor, but do not pretend to know if it is the very best available.

Cheers,

Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II lying Towlers Bay, NSW, Oz
Old 25-03-2011, 17:35   #25

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Personally, I think if you need more than about one pound of anchor for every foot of boat length you've got a lousy holding anchor. That formula has worked for me up to and including many gales, and various storms of greater strength with CQRs and now my Bulwagga. Danforth and Fortress anchors can weigh less than that. Sure, get the next size up if it makes you feel better, I do, but going two or three sizes bigger is just a waste of money and creates unnecessary strain day to day. If I'm in an exposed spot, or expecting a storm of greater than gale strength I put out an additional anchor, which is usually a Fortress. Yes, your working anchor should be able to take a gale, but I also think you should be able to pull it up with your own strength for when your windlass fails, which it will do some night at 2 AM in a blow.
Old 25-03-2011, 18:10   #26

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
I may just tke the old Delta off the boat or stow in in the deep dark hole of locker. Since the 60 lb Mnson Supreme is on the windlass it will alwys be the anchor used, even for a 30 minute lunch stop (I never stop just for lunch really).

Don, I would hope that Sara would have taken the wench comment in the spirit she used the term and my reply was not used in term of criticism but rather my recommendation for what it is worth.

Seems to be concensus amongst cruisers to use their main anchor in most circumstances.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2011, 04:07   #27
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
Don, I would hope that Sara would have taken the wench comment in the spirit she used the term and my reply was not used in term of criticism but rather my recommendation for what it is worth.

Seems to be concensus amongst cruisers to use their main anchor in most circumstances.

Never even occurred to me that the comment would be taken in poor spirit. Now I have to wonder if I was out of line.
sailorboy1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2011, 07:17   #28

Boat: ex-Tartan 40

I hope this isn't too much thread drift. I'm looking at buying a 45# Manson Supreme. Our boat came with a 35# CQR which seems marginal for a 20K pound boat. I've seen comments about difficulties with the newer anchors fitting onto existing rollers. I don't believe I'll have a problem with the roll bar. Are there other clearance/fit issues that I should consider before I make this purchase.
S/V Sapphire Tartan 40 #71

tartansail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2011, 07:17   #29

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
We're satisfied with this anchor, but do not pretend to know if it is the very best available.
Strangely, that makes your satisfaction a far more ringing endorsement, because you are using the thing day after day in "real life", not just the same bottom in the same patch of cruising ground on weekends like most of us.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2011, 08:07   #30

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
Sure, get the next size up if it makes you feel better, I do, but going two or three sizes bigger is just a waste of money and creates unnecessary strain day to day. If I'm in an exposed spot, or expecting a storm of greater than gale strength I put out an additional anchor, which is usually a Fortress.

Not picking on your post, I just find it amusing that you find putting out a second anchor is less day to day strain than wasting money using a much larger anchor to begin with. My 88# Delta cost at time of purchase last year was only$540 + tax from Defender. Peanuts compared to so called modern big buck anchors. As to hassle, my 88 enters and leaves the water with ease using my huge Maxwell HWC2200, 24vdc powered windlass.

Foggy
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor