Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2020, 14:10   #1

Boat: Farr 50 Pilothouse
General consensus on Ultra Anchor

The last thread I could find on the Ultra anchor is over 5 years old, and the few topics there were on it then seemed to think it might be in the league of Spade/Rocna/Mantus/etc. but also expensive.

Now that it's been around for a while, is there a general consensus on whether it belongs in that performance group? I am sure many people would not recommend it over those others because of the price alone, but I'm more interested in if people think it works similarly well.
Old 25-02-2020, 17:12   #2

Boat: Newport 28
Re: General consensus on Ultra Anchor

I actually came across a video on youtube last night that was a cruiser that was checking out an Ultra compared to their Rocna they had. They showed each under setting and a 180 degree swing test, by watching it with a camera while the anchor set and re-set. To my eyes, they performed (at least in THAT test) pretty much identically. The Rocna actually appeared to set faster but it could've been editing on the footage that just made it look that way. They did mention in the comments that they believed the Ultra performed a little better in usage, though they also mentioned they had no issues with the Rocna at all. Personally, I'd have a very hard time spending 5x as much on an anchor that seemed to be doing the same job that the Rocna was doing effectively already.

I have no real-world information, just happened to catch my eye with the timing of my just having seen that video pop up.
Old 25-02-2020, 17:31   #3

Yeah, the price is definitely daunting. I'm just exploring options for anchors without roll bars. The spade seems well regarded, but many people complain about the chintzy galvanization on it, and suggest that maybe the SS spade is the way to go. Which, incidentally, is pretty close to the Ultra. Also, fit has to be considered for some boats, both with the rollbars and with the shank angles/shapes.
Old 25-02-2020, 18:08   #4
cruiser

The Ultra anchor is far superior in performance over the Rocna in it’s ability to dig deeper and reset. We’ve used a Rocna and switched eight years ago to using an oversized Ultra 45kg on our 53Ft 25 ton boat and upgraded the existing anchor to an Ultra 60kg on our 44 ton 625. Both have Ultra swivels. When my husband Ken wanted to use an Ultra 45kg on the 625, I insisted we upgrade to the Ultra 65kg for added security. Regarding the cost, it’s well worth paying the extra $5,000 so we can sleep well at night. We’ve been using Ultra anchors for eight years.

Pam
Old 25-02-2020, 18:21   #5

I've been using a 100lb Ultra for 10 years on a 55ft ketch. It has never dragged.

I consider it comparable to the Spade (which I owned on a previous boat). I have several knowledgeable friends who consider the Spade the best anchor ever made. The Ultra certainly belongs in the group of Mantus, Manson Supreme, and Rocna.

My favorite feature is that it resets faster after a wind/current change than any anchor I've ever owned. If seems to sort of turn in the mud rather than breaking out. The sharp weighted tip is especially good setting in grassy and hard bottoms.

I chose it because a roll bar would have interfered with the my short bowsprit and I don't particularly like rollbar anchors because they bring up so much bottom.

10 years on the Ultra looks new where all my past anchors would have shown serious wear spots and rust in the galvanizing. Is it worth the extra money? I can argue either way - but as a percentage of my boating cost it's rounding error.
Old 25-02-2020, 21:15   #6
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

I have a 55 kilo Rocna and love it. BUT - when I was in Palma there was a display of mini anchors, all built to size, in a fairly big sand box. You could drag the anchors across the sand to see the set and pull and by far the Ultra was the best one (out of like 8). It really isn't much of an issue for so much of the world, but if your Med specific, I'd go Ultra. That is, unless some respected anchoraholic (Noelex) here tells me different.

Well, hold the horses. I just checked the price and it's double what I paid for the Rocna. So, in truth, I wouldn't spend twice for an Ultra, not even probably 50% more.
Old 25-02-2020, 22:27   #7

Boat: Trident marine Voyager 30

I prefer roll bar anchors and have a Rocna but if I needed an anchor without roll bar I would get either a Spade or an Ultra.
Old 25-02-2020, 22:36   #8

Boat: Island Packet 349

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrinocoFlo View Post
The Ultra anchor is far superior in performance over the Rocna in it’s ability to dig deeper and reset.
How do you know?
Old 25-02-2020, 23:28   #9
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Horizons View Post
How do you know?
We’ve owned and used both the Rocna and the Ultra anchors. Unlike the Rocna which routinely brought up big clumps of mud and weed which my husband and I got tired of cleaning off every time we brought up the anchor, the Ultra comes up clean every time. The Rocna also dragged on one occasion in a muddy bottom when it became clogged up with a mud ball and once it dragged with a weed ball, the Ultra anchors have never done this.

A 47 foot catamaran using a Rocna anchor dragged into us just two weeks ago in Falmouth Harbor Antigua. There was not much wind that day, a muddy bottom, and their anchor can up clogged with mud.

I trust our Ultras to hold firm in all kinds of weather, but we had trouble with our Rocna doing the same even on a much lighter boat.
Old 26-02-2020, 06:57   #10

Boat: Island Packet 349

Thank you for sharing your experience, OrinocoFlo. Do you think it has enough of statistical significance to justify your statement?
Old 26-02-2020, 07:18   #11

Thanks for the responses. It seems like everyone who has one loves it, and at the very least nobody is saying it's lacking in any significant way.
Old 26-02-2020, 10:32   #12

Boat: 42ft Moody Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrinocoFlo View Post
We’ve owned and used both the Rocna and the Ultra anchors. Unlike the Rocna which routinely brought up big clumps of mud and weed which my husband and I got tired of cleaning off every time we brought up the anchor, the Ultra comes up clean every time. The Rocna also dragged on one occasion in a muddy bottom when it became clogged up with a mud ball and once it dragged with a weed ball, the Ultra anchors have never done this.

A 47 foot catamaran using a Rocna anchor dragged into us just two weeks ago in Falmouth Harbor Antigua. There was not much wind that day, a muddy bottom, and their anchor can up clogged with mud.

I trust our Ultras to hold firm in all kinds of weather, but we had trouble with our Rocna doing the same even on a much lighter boat.
Now I believe in fairies If someone dragged with a rocna in mud or Sand Ill believe in Santa Claus as well (or better still I ll believe they cant set their anchor properly )
Old 26-02-2020, 10:51   #13

Boat: 2013 Aquila Power Cat

The Ultra costs more because it's all stainless. They say they can't make a galvanized model because of the design. I use a Mantus Anchor and they now make a non-roll bar anchor similar to the Spade or Ultra.
Here's a couple of Youtubes (there are tons of anchor test videos).
https://youtu.be/VpfS_5WVTDs
https://youtu.be/l59f-OjWoq0
Old 26-02-2020, 10:51   #14

Boat: HANSE 455 45 feet

Hi ordered ultra with boat only 21 kg have used in all substrates winds up to 40 knots and swells to 2 mt have gone through 180 resets run 4 times scope up to 5 times if windy always snubber have never dragged
Old 26-02-2020, 11:00   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhuff35204 View Post
The Ultra costs more because it's all stainless. They say they can't make a galvanized model because of the design. I use a Mantus Anchor and they now make a non-roll bar anchor similar to the Spade or Ultra.
Here's a couple of Youtubes (there are tons of anchor test videos).
https://youtu.be/VpfS_5WVTDs
https://youtu.be/l59f-OjWoq0
Thanks. I've watched most of those videos, they're pretty enlightening. Obviously Panope's are the best, since he tested in different bottom types and he used a pretty standard technique with multiple attempts for each anchor. Pretty much every other video I've seen has been in soft sand. Unfortunately Panope doesn't have the Ultra or the Rocna Vulcan or Mantus M2.

Mantus seems to be a pretty clear winner all around, with the Sarca Excel and Spade being pretty good as well. It was surprising how poorly the Rocna and Manson Supreme did. I have found very little on the Rocna Vulcan or Mantus M2. They both go without the roll bar, but they have a pretty radical shank shape, which may not work for a lot of bows.
Closed Thread

Tags
anchor, grass