Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-11-2013, 06:57   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283
Re: Galvanized anchor shackles

Here is our new Washington Chain Fore-runner. My rode is 7/16 G4 chain. Attachment at the anchor is Washington Chain End/Bending Shackle Use the oval pin on the largest shackle possible. These are available in steel, galvanize, SS. The pin is a drive type press fit. They sell the ground tackle used on large ships, not the West Marine yacht jewelry. I tossed the small shackle withthe red pin.

I started my hardware search looking at images of anchor chain swivels on line. You can see how others have addressed the problems. There is a lot of hardware available that you won't fine at the chandlery. anchor forerunner chain - Bing Images

I would not use Jaw swivels to go over an anghor roller with a really heavy anchor. These are a bit tougher than the usual stuff
Shackle with oval pin - very strong

Chain swivel -used in a forerunner. THis will operate well over a roller

Not recommended.

Sometimes it helps to see how the big guys do it. CVN-65 Note the forerunner (white- background) and the chain stopper - foreground

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FORERUNNER 2.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	416.1 KB
ID:	71187   Click image for larger version

Name:	FORERUNNER 1.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	402.5 KB
ID:	71188  

Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags