Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2011, 15:31   #16

Boat: Lagoon 440
Send a message via Skype™ to impi
Re: Galvanised chain vs Stainless steel and swivels

Quote:
Originally Posted by svpresent View Post
Ah, Brazil, excellent choice. We went from Gambia to Brazil in 2008. Didn't want to go that far south with the boat so we stayed in this nice little harbour for 6 months (6 months is maximum and Brazilian Immigration is quite strict):
Marina Jacar Yacht Village
Definitely not high end but safe, friendly people. Friends got their outboard stolen in Natal. We left the boat in Jacare for exploring South America. Had a great time.

Cheers,
Len.
Thanks for the input Len,
I was hoping to Isle da Grande Islands but too far south and difficult to get up to Carrib so the Mrs has advised we are not to do that - so - we are kindof using Brazil as a stop over until Hurricane season is past in Carrib.
impi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 15:31   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28
Re: Galvanised Chain vs Stainless Steel and Swivels

I've been using stainless chain for more than ten years. It is not as strong as G4 but stronger than proof coil or BBB. The only real advantage that I see over good galvanized chain is that it has lasted longer for me. Another plesant surprise is that when I anchor in mud, it comes up clean. It's probably not worth the extra expense. Acco makes very good chain.
I don't use a swivel and have never had a problem that a swivel would have fixed.
Old 08-05-2011, 15:36   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by impi View Post
Thanks - excuse my ignorance but what is a 'proofed galvanised shackle' ?
It means they have been tested ("Shackles can be furnished proof tested with certificates to designated standards"). But really you just need a shackles thats been tested and and stamped with its working load. Just looking at some shackle specs it seems you should be able to get a shackle with 3.5 ton working load to fit your chain.
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 15:36   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
I've been using stainless chain for more than ten years. It is not as strong as G4 but stronger than proof coil or BBB. The only real advantage that I see over good galvanized chain is that it has lasted longer for me. Another plesant surprise is that when I anchor in mud, it comes up clean. It's probably not worth the extra expense. Acco makes very good chain.
I don't use a swivel and have never had a problem that a swivel would have fixed.
I have heard that one of the advantages is 'a clean deck' together with good 'stowage'. Thanks
Old 08-05-2011, 15:37   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by estarzinger View Post
It means they have been tested - Some shackles are tested and stamped with their working load. That's what you want. Just looking at some shackle specs it seems you should be able to get a shackle with 3.5 ton working load to fit your chain.
I didnt realise that so will definately be on the lookout for where I can get those - thanks
Old 08-05-2011, 15:47   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais

Stainless chain is fine if you don't remain at anchor long even if you anchor frequently. It weathers well inside the locker but not under water. It also looks pretty and should come up cleaner.

Quote:
Just looking at some shackle specs it seems you should be able to get a shackle with 3.5 ton working load to fit your chain.
Get the biggest one that will fit through the link! It will probably be the best you can get. Rated and stamped as noted by estaringer. It may not last as long as the anchor so maybe get a spare. If you do things right and stay out a seriously long time you might need it.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 15:57   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais View Post
Stainless chain is fine if you don't remain at anchor long even if you anchor frequently. It weathers well inside the locker but not under water. It also looks pretty and should come up cleaner.

Get the biggest one that will fit through the link! It will probably be the best you can get. Rated and stamped as noted by estaringer. It may not last as long as the anchor so maybe get a spare. If you do things right and stay out a seriously long time you might need it.
I will have to see where I can get hold of these. We plan to be at anchorages and NOT marinas, so the whole anchoring set up is important to me. Apparently at places like Bora Bora we could be anchoring in 25 meters depth.
Old 08-05-2011, 16:27   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by impi View Post
Apparently at places like Bora Bora we could be anchoring in 25 meters depth.
Yes, that's not the norm, but there are several spots in Polynesia where you can end up in 25m. And on some of these (in the Tuamotus) if the wind shifts at night you can have a long fetch in front of you and coral heads right behind and you don't want to move in the dark . . . so you really really want your ground tackle to hold.

Mostly its much easier than that, shallower with better protection . . . but I remember one bad night in the Ha'apai (Tonga) where the wind shifted at night when I was really glad to have a serious anchor and a long heavy chain.
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 17:09   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais

Quote:
Apparently at places like Bora Bora we could be anchoring in 25 meters depth.
You could and the weather could be nice too. You just need to take notice. In 25m of water you'll know it is serious. In 6 meters you could get sloppy about it. A big anchor with heavy chain is pretty solid and you can test it yourself on the easy stuff first and work your way up.

You still need to learn how to use it properly too. Practice adds a lot. You set an anchor 100 times and it begins to be quite familiar. The feeling when you set it usually has some degree of satisfaction. Learning the subtle differences adds confidence. You can always be wrong and have to scramble. Humility adds the final component. All the times you almost dragged start to matter.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 19:19   #25

If you do not have a windless the s.s. chain is much kinder on your hands
motion30 is online now   Reply With Quote