Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-01-2012, 15:18   #1

Boat: Catana 431
G70 Windlass

Can anyone point me to a windlass that works with 5/16 g70 chain?

Thx
Art
hoaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2012, 16:11   #2

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 49
Re: G70 Windlass

Check out Maxwell. Vertical Windlass and Capstan Range

I think the VWC 2500 works with that chain. You would have to spec the gypsy for that size. Is G70 identical to G43 in link size?
CAELESTIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2012, 20:41   #3

Thanks, I will check maxwell.
BUT, Grade 70 and 43 are not available in the same link size based on my investigations so far.
I am looking specifically for windlasses that have a gypsy available that fits 5/16 Grade 70.
I have a Lewmar ocean series windlass that I am happy with. So I contacted lewmar and was told they do not make a gypsy that is compatable with Grade 70. I've done some further looking around and have not yet found a windlass that is clearly compatable with Grade 70....thus the request.
Old 16-01-2012, 04:13   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

G70 Short Link seems to have the same dimensions as G43 chain.

5/16" Dimensions: ID = 0.330, IL = 1.15, IW = 0 .49"
"“G-70" dimensions ➥ http://www.1st-chainsupply.com/chain/SpecsCh70.pdf
“G-43" ➥ Gr 43 Chain Specs

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2012, 04:50   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

See also NACM Welded Chain Specifications:
National Association of Chain Manufacturers: welded chain
or
http://www.nacm.info/Downloads/NACM_Welded.pdf

Tables II & II: Both G-43 and G-70 are specified as using:
Wire diameter 0.343", Max Inside length 1.29", and Max inside width 0.44"

(slightly different dimensions than those spec'd by First Chain Supply).

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2012, 06:27   #6
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
I have a Maxwell VWC3500 windlass with 3/8" G43 chainwheel and use 3/8" G70 chain with it perfectly.

ciao!
Nick.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2012, 16:12   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Gulfstar 50

I have an old Ideal windlass that appears to have a wildcat for 3/8" BBB. THe boat came with 5/16 G40 which does not quite strip off right.

This is understandable as that the pitch (inside length of link) are a bit off.

Interestingly, 5/16 G70 feeds and strips much better...

3/8" BBB has an inside length of 1.09", 5/16 G43 1.03 and 5/16 G70 1.12.

A cogs on the windlass engage every other link so the actual edge to edge pitch on the windlass is twice the links inside length (inside length - wire dia + inside length length + wire dia = 2 x inside length)

SO for 3/8" BBB we get a windlass pitch of 2.18" for 5/16 G43 we get 2.06" and for 5/16 G70 we get 2.24.

Clearly being a bit too long is better than being a bit too short. You can take up the slack and snap into the slot rather than riding over because you are under tension.

Using those numbers above I find that compared to 3/8" BBB, 5/16 G43 is 5.5 % too short and 5/16 G70 is 2.8 % too long.

As I said I put 5/16 G70 on my boat. I fed the entire 275' into the chain locker and did not see any bindings, overrides or failures to strip.

The numbers above are from direct measurements of chain that I had in hand with a digital caliper. One of our local chandlers has sections of chain that you can borrow to try out on your windlass. I should note that in measuring those chain sections I found that one was mislabeled. (measurements don't lie)

West marine cut me off a section of 5/16" G70 for free so that I could test it in my windlass. (gotta love WM for all their faults)

If there is any suggestion it would be to locate a windlass that takes 3/8" BBB and try a section of 5/16 G70 to see how it fits.

Regards

I should note that these numbers were measured with Acco chain in the local West Marine.

Also, the G43 spec quoted is for iso chain. Regular length is speced at 1.15" and may work....
evm1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2012, 18:40   #8

Has anyone been able to get the 5/16 G70 with oversize end links? ACCO? WM? Any other sources of G70?
Old 13-02-2012, 18:49   #9

Great question re: the oversize end link. I'd like to hear the answer to that too!
Old 13-02-2012, 19:14   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I ordered a 3/8" G70 chain with enlarged end links on both ends from ACCO chain in 2005 and this was no problem. Well, in those days they didn't understand that it needed to be galvanized because the chain is originally intended to secure cargo on trains and trucks. But once they got the order in, everything went fine.

I ordered it through Marine Warehouse in Miami, who specializes in delivery to boats around the Caribbean.

ciao!
Nick.

Old 18-02-2012, 08:16   #11

FYI, I contacted Marine Warehouse about getting g70 chain made with an oversized end link and then shipped to Panama. They were great. Very fast knowledgeable responses. And shipping to Panama is easy with them, as long as it suits your schedule.
Notably, the specs for the galvanized G70 chain are clearly different than the G43 -- source was ACCO-Peerless. I also contacted Lewmar again about the propery gypsy for my windlass--and they confirmed my earlier iquiries--unless you get into their really big boat stuff, they do not have a gypsy compatible with G70.
Since the Gypsy is a few hundred dollars, I don't intend to experiment at this time.
So I am back where I started, looking for G70 compatible windlasses.
So somewhere down the road I'll get a new windlass, but for now I'll be sticking with my current set up with 7/16" G43.
....now where else can I save some weight...Li Batteries

thanks to everyone for their input on this thread.

All the best,
Arthur
Old 18-02-2012, 08:52   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoaga
FYI, I contacted Marine Warehouse about getting g70 chain made with an oversized end link and then shipped to Panama. They were great. Very fast knowledgeable responses. And shipping to Panama is easy with them, as long as it suits your schedule.
Notably, the specs for the galvanized G70 chain are clearly different than the G43 -- source was ACCO-Peerless. I also contacted Lewmar again about the propery gypsy for my windlass--and they confirmed my earlier iquiries--unless you get into their really big boat stuff, they do not have a gypsy compatible with G70.
Since the Gypsy is a few hundred dollars, I don't intend to experiment at this time.
So I am back where I started, looking for G70 compatible windlasses.
So somewhere down the road I'll get a new windlass, but for now I'll be sticking with my current set up with 7/16" G43.
....now where else can I save some weight...Li Batteries
hold on... my Maxwell VWC3500 has the G43 gypsy and takes the G70 chain without trouble. As most chainwheels look pretty similar, it might work for you too!

If you bring your chainwheel to me we can test it for you aboard Jedi. We are in slip C36 in Shelter Bay Marina.

ciao!
Nick.

Old 18-02-2012, 09:09   #13

Thanks for the Input Nick.
Your point is well Understood, but I would have to buy the gypsy that fits new chain size I'd like in order to do the experiment. Plus I have other logistical problems as I am in Jamaica en route to Panama. So in order for my schedule to not get really out of whack I'd also have to buy the chain at the same time I buy they gypsy, and have them both shipped to Panama. (which turns out to be easy to do via marine warehouse, but it does take a few weeks). Also, notably, there is certainly leeway in what chains fit in a gypsy. The lewmar gypsies are specified to cover a certain range of sizes, and they list those sizes which will fit with the gypsy. But, by phone and email they say that ACCO G70 will not fit.

If I had the gypsy I would get length of the chain and test it.

In any event my current chain is fine, just a bit on the heavy side--which isn't usually a negative in ground tackle -- I just wanted to lighten up the front half of my cat a bit . I will definately revisit this when I don't have the logistical problems.

Thanks again,
All the best,
Arthur
s/v Morning Glory
Old 18-02-2012, 09:13   #14

Sorry Nick! I keep adding info in my posts about shipping to panama--when you were the one who gave me the marine warehouse contact info!!
I am presently removing my foot from my mouth

-arthur
Old 18-02-2012, 09:54   #15

FYI-- for a Maxwell VWC2200, a new gypsy is $275. WM has the chain but said they cannot put on oversize end links. Washington Chain Supply can get the ACCO and will put on oversize links on 5/16 G70 for $75. They have not yet quoted me a price for the chain itself.