Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-02-2011, 14:24   #1

Boat: hunter 27, hunter 41
fortress fx vs guardian

both made by fortress , fx series and guardian series, guardian series about 1/2 price. Both are aluminum, both look same, what is difference?
dakno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2011, 14:27   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: fortress fx vs guardian

I thought the Guardian was steel.

Pete

I stand corrected its also Aluminium.
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2011, 14:46   #3

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Look at the Fortress website - Fortress Anchors - The World's Best Anchors! and go to features for both the regular Fortress and then the Guardian. Basically the Guardian has less features and less finishing or manufacturing steps than the full featured Fortress. Otherwise the alloy and design are identical.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2011, 14:51   #4

Boat: Finnsailer 38

One difference that is quite important is that the blades on the Fortress are sharpened, aiding penetration greatly. I think that is one of the main reasons a Fortress often performs much better than a similar sized steel Danforth. Also, the Guardian doesn't have the second position mud option. I believe the Fortress is also structurally stronger, which is quite important in an aluminum anchor.
Old 24-02-2011, 15:54   #5

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide

The finish and features as others have said....

I wonder about something else though, why do you suppose there is a G-4 but not an FX-4?

I use an FX-7 as my stern anchor / lunch hook / parking brake....

Hello... mr. Fortress?
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2011, 15:56   #6

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37
Fortress FX vs Guardian

The Fortress FX has nice sharp machined flukes and a really nice finish.
Guardian is made from the same high tensile, corrosion resistant aluminum magnesium alloy and manufacturing precision as Fortress.
The Guardian uses a slightly smaller extrusion profiles and eliminate some of Fortress’ extra features, such as anodizing, adjustable fluke angles, and several machining steps resulting in a very affordable alternative anchor.

Mark
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2011, 19:18   #7

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

The soft mud position of the FX series is very interesting. Few use it as you have to use wrenches to remove the bar and slide the shank to the second hole position.
- - But in soft mud or deep sugar sand the much larger open angle of the "mud position" presents a near flat surface that digs deep into the soft mud and really holds. But - you have to restore the anchor to its normal setting before you can use it in normal bottom situations. I didn't do that once after leaving a soft mud anchorage and dropped the hook in a normal bottom anchorage. The Fortress with the extra opening angle skipped along the bottom on its blade tips and would not set. Resetting the shank to the normal position resulted in a good anchor set.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2011, 20:05   #8
Sponsoring Vendor

Gents,

You have all touched on several of the differences, maybe this will help summarize them:

(1) Fortress is anodized, which is a chemically bonded coating. This gives the Fortress Anchor greater corrosion resistance and a more attractive appearance. Guardian anchors are not anodized.

(2) Fortress anchors have more precision machining done to the shank and flukes, so they are sharper and better able to penetrate the sea bottom deeper, and thus provide more holding power.

(3) Fortress anchors have two adjustable angles: 32° and 45° for soft mud. Guardian has just the 32° angle.

(4) Fortress anchors have a Lifetime Parts Replacement Warranty, Guardian anchors have a One Year Parts Replacement Warranty.

I hope this helps!

Regards,
Brian

Fortress Marine Anchors
Fortress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2011, 21:24   #9
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortress View Post
Gents,

You have all touched on several of the differences, maybe this will help summarize them:

(1) Fortress is anodized, which is a chemically bonded coating. This gives the Fortress Anchor greater corrosion resistance and a more attractive appearance. Guardian anchors are not anodized.

(2) Fortress anchors have more precision machining done to the shank and flukes, so they are sharper and better able to penetrate the sea bottom deeper, and thus provide more holding power.

(3) Fortress anchors have two adjustable angles: 32° and 45° for soft mud. Guardian has just the 32° angle.

(4) Fortress anchors have a Lifetime Parts Replacement Warranty, Guardian anchors have a One Year Parts Replacement Warranty.

I hope this helps!

Regards,
Brian

Fortress Marine Anchors
There seems to be one other difference, unless things have changed since I purchased my G-37 kedge. The guardian has a much thicker stock than the fortress.

Has this changed?
Old 25-02-2011, 05:21   #10
Sponsoring Vendor

Good question Bash. The G-37 stock is not as thick as the corresponding FX-37 stock, however, it is the same thickness as the FX-23 stock.
Old 25-02-2011, 06:42   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v 'Faith' View Post
.... I wonder about something else though, why do you suppose there is a G-4 but not an FX-4?
Hello... mr. Fortress?
Brian,

Did you see this?
Old 25-02-2011, 07:12   #12
Sponsoring Vendor

Yes, sorry for not replying earlier, just needed to have a discussion here first. We have a Guardian G-5 and Guardian G-7, both of which are smaller than the Fortress FX-7, and so it was believed that those two anchors were sufficient enough to not have a need to manufacture an even smaller Fortress.

Sorry again!
Brian
Old 25-02-2011, 07:35   #13

I goofed, I was thinking of the G-5 (not G-4). I like my FX-7 for what I use it for, a slightly smaller FX would fit in my Lazy-Rat hatch better... I like the FX series.

Thanks,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortress View Post
Yes, sorry for not replying earlier, just needed to have a discussion here first. We have a Guardian G-5 and Guardian G-7, both of which are smaller than the Fortress FX-7, and so it was believed that those two anchors were sufficient enough to not have a need to manufacture an even smaller Fortress.

Sorry again!
Brian

Tags
fortress