Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2014, 15:26   #16

Re: Flook Anchor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SayGudday View Post
Gudday. Anyone ever used one of these flook anchors? Just stumbled across it and have never even heard of this before.

FLOOK The Flying Anchor
Good evening.. I know this is an old post but I wanted to give my review of "Flook The Flying Anchor" that I bought for my 21' Paramount at the Dania Marine Flea Market in South Florida back in the late 1980’s or Early 1990’s.. I can’t remember if Dulhunty / Dulmison Marine was the Vendor at the time but It was by far the best anchor I have ever owned and had the absolute best holding power that I have ever encountered in sand, mud, coral and any other debris on the ocean floor. I used it as my Primary Anchor for over 8 years until some selfish Thief stole it out of my boat along with a few other things I really didn't care for. Needless to say I was devastated that my "Flying Flook" was stolen so needless to say I am in the market to purchase another one for my 19' Center Console ASAP. This specific anchor made anchoring and retrieving absolutely effortless and I can assure you that I will be getting rid of my Dan-forth Anchor immediately when my new anchor is received. I can't recommend this anchor enough and can only say you will truly not be disappointed.
kegrant420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 15:30   #17

Well. the Dania flea market starts Thursday......in hallendale. Maybe you can find another flying flook. I would like to help you but honestly I could not give a flying flook
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 15:46   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by motion30 View Post
Well. the Dania flea market starts Thursday......in hallendale. Maybe you can find another flying flook. I would like to help you but honestly I could not give a flying flook
Thanks!!! My son and I are looking forward to going to the Dania Marine Flea Market and hopefully find some good deals. Thanks again..
Old 21-03-2014, 15:31   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by kegrant420 View Post
Good evening.. I know this is an old post but I wanted to give my review of "Flook The Flying Anchor" that I bought for my 21' Paramount at the Dania Marine Flea Market in South Florida back in the late 1980’s or Early 1990’s.. I can’t remember if Dulhunty / Dulmison Marine was the Vendor at the time but It was by far the best anchor I have ever owned and had the absolute best holding power that I have ever encountered in sand, mud, coral and any other debris on the ocean floor. I used it as my Primary Anchor for over 8 years until some selfish Thief stole it out of my boat along with a few other things I really didn't care for. Needless to say I was devastated that my "Flying Flook" was stolen so needless to say I am in the market to purchase another one for my 19' Center Console ASAP. This specific anchor made anchoring and retrieving absolutely effortless and I can assure you that I will be getting rid of my Dan-forth Anchor immediately when my new anchor is received. I can't recommend this anchor enough and can only say you will truly not be disappointed.

Well.... Just got-er in today from Austrailia and cant wait to use it this weekend.. Oh yea... I forgot to mention how well it worked for pulling our ATV's out in some of the nastiest mud in South FLA.. Just hooked it up to the end of the winch line and let it pull herself out of the mud.
Old 28-03-2014, 22:58   #20

Boat: Lagoon 410 (now sold)

Kegrant420, it's good to hear about another supporter of these little known anchors. I posted my positive comments earlier in the thread. Since then I have used it a couple of times to deploy from the stern quarter when the wind and chop were from different directions.

While I like them, I'm surprised to hear you have had it as your primary for years. My concern would be something getting caught in the folding mechanism and preventing a reset, or the shank bending. But the large fluke area for it's weight gives it excellent holding in a direct pull.

I thought I was lucky enough to get another one (new) on eBay Australia for $60 delivered last year. But when I looked on eBay again today, the same seller has them for only $20 plus delivery. I think he must have bought in bulk when Dulmison went out of business.
Old 23-07-2021, 20:12   #21

I think they are excellent but not as a main anchor, actually never use one as a main anchor! They really do dig in. They are basically a spade anchor like a rocna or sarca.
The flook has that instant dig in effect which feels like you're going to rip the cleat off. They really are a prick of a pick to retriever, especially in muddy clay. I guess thats where experience comes in. Take out the slack, cleat it off and let the boat bob around and do the work until it frees..same way to retrieve any anchor thats dug its way to hell.
The flying aspect not so good, sure it glides along way but just give it a tug to open the cantilever action..nah it just flys back at you. Any mud or grit in the linkages that stop it acting like a well oiled machine defeats it. Either tie it open or put a spring on it to help it out.
They don't like it when the wind or current changes 180'. As hard as they are to retrieve when you want them back they equally just pop out and flip over when the wind changes and never dig back in. My experience, because they love to hold a big clod of clay.
In saying this I still love them. They are light, easy to stow, easy to deploy and set almost immediately with great holding power.
Everyone has a flip flop Danforth or similar as a backup, I have a Flook.
I only ever use it as an insurance plan when conditions worry me or an emergency back up (generally when I've gone to the aid of other boats dragging in tight anchorag).
Which is what brought me here, scouring the net in search of the much hated Flook to replace the one I lost because I had to cut it free after using it to drag a much heavier boat than it was ever intended for off the rocks. I believe it must be somewhere near the core of the Earth. R.I.P little Flook.
The seach to replace continues.
Markkk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor