Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-06-2013, 01:26   #1

Boat: malo 39 12mtrs Parabola
Send a message via MSN to marius Send a message via Skype™ to marius
Fitting of a Rocna anchor

I have a Malo39 1999 l am thinking of changing my main anchor for a Rocna 20 kg. I know that they can be a problem to fit on certain bow roller my one come come from centre of the bow and not on top.
Can anyone help me on this subject do l need to make any modifications if so what? Any help on this subject will be appreciated.
Alain.
Old 19-06-2013, 02:58   #2
cruiser

Re: Fitting of a Rocna anchor

Buy an Quickline Ultra anchor instead. No fussing with the silly roll bar, and it works better. Check it out.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2013, 09:42   #3

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by marius View Post
I have a Malo39 1999 l am thinking of changing my main anchor for a Rocna 20 kg. I know that they can be a problem to fit on certain bow roller my one come come from centre of the bow and not on top.
Can anyone help me on this subject do l need to make any modifications if so what? Any help on this subject will be appreciated.
Alain.
I had to build a completly new bow sprit to accommadate the roll bar. For us the roll bar needed to be in front of the head stay. Ours is a little larger at 25kg and it's like 19" wide and a 13" tall and then the shank is 9" wide, the plow another 20" Thats a ton of surface area. Not something you want hanging out in the breeze. I think they need to be tucked up pretty well. In hindsight, the roll bar is a pain.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2013, 10:19   #4

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide

If you get a Chinese one you won't have a problem.

You should pretty much be able to bend the metal with your hands to make it fit.
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2013, 10:42   #5

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Weld a standard bow roller on so the roll bar will not hit the bow.
The Rocna will be much better than the Bruce.

Stainless Steel Anchor Roller with Solid Stainless Steel Wheel
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Malo39_1.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	62858   Click image for larger version

Name:	Malo39_2.jpg
Views:	430
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	62859  

Click image for larger version

Name:	bow roller.jpg
Views:	402
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	62860  
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2013, 10:57   #6
cruiser

I don't want to look like a salesman for the Ultra Anchor. But having used the Rocna successfully for two years up until it was recalled and the money paid was refunded in full by West Marine (many thanks to West Marine), I would never consider modifying our boat to accommodate and anchor when so many better choices are now available. We've been using the Ultra anchor just as successfully as the former Rocna and found the pricing within the Med to be about the same as what we'd need to pay for a Rocna.... and again, no roll bar to deal with. And as an added bonus... it looks nicer in stainless steel.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2013, 12:28   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

The roll bar is the issue and primarily with bowsprits. Typically a bowsprit has the anchor roller surrounded by platform that the roll bar catches and stops the anchor from full retrieval. If there is nothing from the roller axle outboard that will catch on the bar, it should work fine. Switched from a CQR to a Manson without a problem with my Lewmar anchor roller.

The Ultra is a fine anchor but EXPENSIVE. Last time I checked, could buy four Manson Supremes for the price of one Ultra.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2013, 13:02   #8
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by marius View Post
I'm afraid that you're being given some ill-conceived advice here. Many of the folks advising you on this thread have no idea that the Malo 39 brings its anchor up through the stem itself rather than via a deck-mounted roller or a bowsprit.

Because of the downward angle of your anchor slot, it's conceivable that a Rocna anchor's roll bar might fit, but I doubt that it would be ideal for your boat. A bigger question for me would be whether the elongated tip of the Rocna anchor would hit your stem before the anchor is fully seated in the roller.

If I recall correctly, the Malo's anchor system was built specifically to fit Bruce anchors, and it does so snugly. There isn't much room for divergence from the Bruce dimmensions. If this is the case, you may find it difficult to deploy anchors other than a Bruce, especially if they have a longer, more pointed tip. Some of the anchors being recommended here have exactly such a design.

I would suggest you contact Rocna directly, and ask whether other Malo yachts have ever been able to use their anchors with the standard setup.
Old 19-06-2013, 13:06   #9

Boat: Seafarer36c

Someone did post a picture of the bow with the Bruce sticking out.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2013, 13:54   #10

Boat: Devlin 48 Moon River & Marshal Catboat

Agree with Bash doubt any of modern spade type anchors would fit. See if you can barrow an Al. spade and try it out.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 19:32   #11

Boat: Shopping...

I replaced the original Bruce by a 20 kg Rocna on my Malo 37 and the fit is perfect.

Rocna is by far the best anchor I have owned.
Old 08-07-2013, 21:37   #12

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

I used my Rocna for the first time last weekend and was pretty amazed.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 23:10   #13

Boat: Bowman 40
Send a message via Skype™ to steve.garlick

I understand that the Malo bow roller will be different, but just as a comparison point, I've just bought a 25kg Rocna. I will have to weld 2 extension plates either side of my current bow roller, that will extend forward and down (about 5 cm). These will form a 'stop' that the anchor can rest against. I will need to machine a new bow roller with a groove to support the central shank. I'm going to try something similar to Dashew's hold down, and have a stainless bar I can pin over the top of my bow roller towards the rear. This will have 2 fingers that will locate the anchor as well.

Currently, I've put the CQR back on because the Rocna was flopping around like a dead fish (wait, dead fish flopping?). I wasn't happy that I could lash it securely enough.

Will send pictures when completed (although trying to find an inox man in Greece is like searching for the proverbial needle.)

Steve
steve.garlick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2018, 06:50   #14

Boat: Malo 39

Did you find a solution as I have the same boat and question?
Martin S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2018, 08:23   #15

If you are having trouble fitting a "modern" anchor of the Rocna/Mantus/Spade type, the people at Mantus anchors might have a good solution. I used this on my old boat and it solved the fitting problem way easier than rebuilding the roller and/or bow sprit.

Mantus Anchor Mate

The malo is a unique bird, and I am not sure if this would help there or not...
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, rocna