Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-12-2013, 18:29   #31

Boat: Tartan 3700
Re: Fitting Anchor on Bow Roller...Ideas?

I actually have only used a snubber on all chain rode on a Beneteau 393 in Hawaii, but it was windy/rolling at the time. I am not thinking all chain for this boat, right now it's 55 feet of chain and another 120 nylon so I was thinking about sticking with about 50 feet of chain and doing another 300 feet nylon for the new anchor.

I've read about running a snubber back to the rear cleat or winch but only to position the boat better in a wave/wind situation, basically what noelex is describing I think. I've never tried it.

@cheoah - BIB? I'm not having much luck with Google on that one...

The Mantus bracket looks interesting, it looks like another situation of having to take the rode off each time though (not that I'm not going to end up doing that anyway.)

Brian
brianc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2013, 18:39   #32

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
First as others have stated the bow roller is inadequate, too long, too flimsy. I think a good strain on it would split it. Second I don't think your cleats are adequate. Third, the leads are not fair. It's just not the size of the anchor it's the whole system.

When cruising, ground tackle is one of the most important things on the boat. Sometimes you have to anchor in less than ideal conditions. Other time a quick wind shift might put you on a lee shore. You have to respond rapidly in these circumstances. Maybe more rode, maybe weigh anchor and move, re-anchor someplace else.

Here's a pic of my boat. It came with only one bow roller and I had another one fabricated on the stemhead fitting. The second pic is a buddy's boat at anchor during a frontal passage. It's in the Bahamas and luckily there is no swell in this anchorage, just wind driven chop.

Wow does that look familiar. I couldn't agree more.

Rocna has full size paper pdf you can download. Make your own cardboard copy. I agree the bow roller looks light weight. You would need to always use a snubber to take the load off of the roller or you would likely split or bend it. Your other issue will be the load you might impose when you retrieve your gear. Perhaps a good welder can reinforce the side plates with doublers.

Can you borrow anchors to test the size & fit-up? Those are not terrebly large so you might find a boater or even an interested retailer to lend you one for fitting.

First photo is CQR 74 and 54# Bruce. The other two are Bruce and 121# ROCNA. I will have to modify the pulpit to fit the Rocna roll-bar.

Bow rollers are 3"; 8 deck-bolts and stem side bolts in the bow fitting are 3/4 inch. The bow fitting is about 85 #; 3/8 inch plate. I have bent the roller axles. I always use a chain snubber back to the bollards at extended anchor or big wind. As reference, we are 58 feet & 36 tons.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4244.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	362.5 KB
ID:	72329   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4582.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	320.8 KB
ID:	72330  

Name:	DSCF4583.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	324.2 KB
ID:	72331   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4708.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	420.9 KB
ID:	72334  

Name:	DSCF4587.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	421.5 KB
ID:	72335  
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2013, 18:41   #33

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Maybe one of these Hitchs will help you connect your snubbber to your anchor line.

Icicle Hitch

Rolling Hitch

Modified Rolling Hitch (Camel Hitch)

Klemheist Knot
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Klemheist Knot.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	72336  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Icicle_Hitch.pdf (246.2 KB, 57 views)
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2013, 20:15   #34

Boat: catalina 400 MKII

Brian. I'm looking at your set-up and comming up with a slightly different idea. Go down to West Marine and get the Rocna. If the shank slides next to the drum of the furler, and doesn't touch it (or interfere with it), hook it up and set it on the roller perminently. Use a bunge cord to keep it to the side. Cut a hole in the locker door to accept the shank or chain. It is easy to add a small cover to make it pretty (a small fiberglass job). Leave the anchor set up for use. Use it. If the roller bends, fix it later. A stainless guy can easily modify it. If you anchor in foul weather sure, bridals and other ideas come into play. Normally just put it over the front and use a snubber if you have chain.
scotty c-m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2013, 22:04   #35
cruiser

Boat: Lightwave, Catamaran, 11.5m (38')

Brain,

Sorry I'd lost track of what you were using.

If you are using all chain then add a snubber, if you are using chain and nylon combined then you have no need of the snuubber (the nylon part of the rode performs the same purpose). I had thought you might lie at an angle to the wind if you brought the nylon (part of the total rode) or a snubber over one fairlead and I was only suggesting a prussik on the other side to central the load. In light winds you simply would not need to worry (about centreing the load) but I might have it ready in case.

I would not use the bow roller, other than to store the anchor. You seem quite happy to deploy and retreive by hand and though the bow roller might not be very robust it looks as if it might be somewhere sensible to stow the anchor, lashed to one side, and until you have another option - the bow roller as anchor storage looks sensible.

I'd resist expensive modifications until you have defined exactly what you want/need - so go out and get some background to the issues - you might find that a windlass become a priority (don't know). But we are basing our comments on some not very detailed images, no knowledge of your desires (in terms on anchoring and the yacht) and no knowledge of the depth of your wallet (nor even whether you will keep the yacht for long).

Get out and try and enjoy it - then come back and we may have a new set of 'contradictory' (maybe that should be 'different') ideas for you to mull over

Jonathan
JonJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2013, 10:19   #36

Boat: Tartan 3700

@Nicholson58 - that last picture looks like you're trailering that beast!

@Cotemar - Thanks for the knot info. I usually use a rolling hitch because it's second nature to tie it...I should probably get a couple others to that level as well.

@JonJo - Makes sense, thanks. The wallet is holding up but has been getting a workout lately! I probably won't make mods to the boat, I have no idea how long I'll keep it, but I'll definitely report back to get some 'different' thoughts ;-)
brianc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2013, 18:59   #37

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Marine Part Depot

You might find a few useful and affordable things here for deck and anchor that would help secure the anchor.

- and Brianc - we did trailer - just not withthe S10
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PA220011.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	395.3 KB
ID:	72371   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0187.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	402.1 KB
ID:	72372  

Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote