Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-09-2010, 08:26   #16

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by capngeo View Post
Honestly, I (as well as a BUNCH of my friends) have been using it for years. Never had a heat problem! I have some that has protected docklines for at least 5 hurricanes in KW. The only issue I've found is the sun eventually eats it.
X 2,

Doesn't the military still use the old double-jacket type.
I get mine from the Fire Chief here at the Airport, who co-incidentally, was one of my crew rookies back in the seventies.
(Took early retirement, as a Captain, in 1980, after 17yrs in)
Thread drift--What size is that line --looks like Stortz coupling-used to be standard on ships-shore manifold.
Old 01-09-2010, 09:43   #17
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
on my mooring lines i use minimum of 10-15 ft of hose over 3 strand. there is no problem with heat even in our 50-90 mph winds. winds.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 10:55   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Stocking View Post
X 2,

Doesn't the military still use the old double-jacket type.
I get mine from the Fire Chief here at the Airport, who co-incidentally, was one of my crew rookies back in the seventies.
(Took early retirement, as a Captain, in 1980, after 17yrs in)
Thread drift--What size is that line --looks like Stortz coupling-used to be standard on ships-shore manifold.
Yes, they are Storz... That pic was just grabbed off the Internet. We use double jacket for handlines as well. Yes the OUTER jacket can be removed, NO , the liner and inner jacket cannot be separated.

I usually only grab the supply line, as it is way too hard to get a line through 13/4. The 5" when slit and wrapped is perfect.
G
Old 22-09-2010, 19:33   #19

Boat: Irwin Series II 52' 1983
There are several types out there, the larger type supply like he showed is typically the 5" size. This is one piece for the most part. You really need to ask for the 1 3/4 or the 2 1/2 size. A lot of this is two part( the type now failing as most is 10-20 yrs old). Throw the inner liner away, it is rubber lined and will heat up from the friction. The outer liner works very well if it is the cotton or even blended due to weave is not water tight.

As you can run lines inside the 1 3/4 without a issue up to nearly 10 ft. I know that is what I use. And no, i dont split it, i leave it intact so it cant slip off or have to have zipties to hold it in place.

Check with your local departments, (logistics) and ask when they do the annual hose testing. They will most likely give you all you can carry. But be warned, it adds up in a hurry and dont load 15 rolls into your car. The 5" is around 100lbs a roll, and even small stuff will surprise you.
Tampabayfireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2010, 19:36   #20

I opted for leather just because we can use it for other little projects around the boat. JustLeather.com lets you buy nearly half a cow for $50-$100. I was amazed at how cheap quality leather. Just Leather.Com
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote